VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That is a multi-select. Each SHP Dispatcher has several districts that they are responsible for. In your example above you have one dispatcher responsible for (at least) Troop G Districts 2 & 3. The difference between a Multi-select and a patch?
Patch= All parties hear all radio traffic on all talkgroups patched together.
Multi-Select= Dispatcher hears all radio traffic from all TGs in Multi-Select and Dispatcher outbound radio traffic is heard across all talkgroups in Multi-select but the Districts only hear traffic for their respective District. Troop G Dist 2 hears only their radio traffic and Dist 3 only hears their radio traffic.
Patches and Multi-selects are indeed 2 very different ways of communication.
Marshall KE4ZNR
@KE4ZNR Thanks for the easy to understand explanation. I was unaware there was a difference.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Another way of defining Multi-Selects:

A Multi-Select allows a dispatcher to merge several talkgroups together on one voice channel to participate in a single conversation. This can be used for announcements to two or more channels or talkgroups for general broadcast purposes.
Using the Multi-Select feature, the console operator can talk and listen to all of the selected talkgroups grouped; however, the members of the individual talkgroups cannot talk or listen to members of other talkgroups. Multi-selected talkgroups still only communicate with the console dispatcher and other members in the same talkgroup.

Hopefully the above matches up with what I earlier posted. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the great explanation... appreciate it! That’s the first time I’d seen that done.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
New DOT TGID not in database...

51694 with RIDs 20317xx, both TG and RID in DOT range. Units heard were MP-70, MP-200, MP-210. Sounds like IMAP units responding to accidents/Vehicle issues.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Jan 26th Downtown Raleigh Women's March utilizing Viper Channels...

Charley 1 51963 RPD Command & Organization
NCGAPD 1 52024 NC General Assembly Police
SCPPRI 52122 State Capitol Police Primary

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Heard what I believe is an unlisted/new Wake County Talkgroup, not in the database, this morning. Only one transmission which makes me think someone might of been on the wrong channel. TG and RID in Wake County range.

TG 46568, RID 1843667

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
New TG heard today, 46515. On the low end of the Wake County TG range. RID was 2000039 (NC State Fairgrounds/Dept of Ag RID range)

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
New TG heard today, 46515. On the low end of the Wake County TG range. RID was 2000039 (NC State Fairgrounds/Dept of Ag RID range)

That may be something related to the farm show going on at the state fairgrounds this week. I am going tomorrow and I will try to see if I can hear it and maybe verify it’s usage.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
New TGs not in database...

52721 heard testing and setting up of the new TG this past week. New dispatch RID of 2490002 heard, other users were all SHP Air related RIDs. Only traffic was radio checks and tones over the talkgroup, primarily in the clear, but also heard encryption being tested.
If anyone hears this talkgroup in use, and can help confirm it is SHP Air Ops, I'd appreciate you posting here.

Other new Talkgroups heard, and users heard on it (NONE CONFIRMED)
46515 State Fairgrounds
46568 Wake County
46934 NC General Assembly Police
52066 SBI
52684 Unknown Possibly UNC RIDs 21475xx

Logs from the week available, just PM me.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
New Talkgroups heard in past week, and users heard on it (NONE CONFIRMED)
52721 SHP Air Ops
46515 State Fairgrounds
46568 Wake County
46934 NC General Assembly Police
52066 SBI
52684 Unknown Possibly UNC RIDs 21475xx

TWO MORE NEW TGs OVERNIGHT

46453 Wake County (traffic: "Wake 423 10-41")
60918 Unk RID in federal range 2916331 (traffic: "Radio Check")

That's 8 new talkgroups not in database I've monitored over the past week, seems like a lot of additions recently.

Last edited:

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know why Burke County TGs are coming across the Pineville VIPER site? These counties do not touch and I the only thing I could figure was Burke EMS transporting to CMC main. But I also heard Morganton PD as well on the Pineville site which I thought wouldn't have roaming capabilities. Anyone in the know?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
TG 60809 I have listed as possibly FED COM, but all traffic was encrypted. So I only base it off RID, so maybe similar channels.

What RIDs were you seeing? I've come across that one as well, but wasn't able to get the RID. The FED COM talkgroups are up at 60545 and 60546 so I'd think 60809 and 60811, reported by @reconrider8 a few days ago, are related to a specific agency.

Last edited: