VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Unknown TGID of 18624 on Crowder's Mt VFD
Matches Gaston County area and it's extremely active. However, it's encrypted

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Monitored unknown TG 51500 with SHP Helo talking to "Deputy", however the deputy's RID was another SHP Air radio, unknown if he was borrowing it or this was training (did not sound like training). SHP helo was inflight headed to the east coast at the time of transmissions.

spacellamaman

last night round sunset, on 52010 there was a 9-line called out to H60 24402 that described an urgent surgical airlift of a US mil personel out of kruq. first time i had heard that before. but when checking the MGRS grid it showed the training field to the west of the airport. the real interesting part in the 9-line was the comms freq/callsign. 8TAC91 Juliet Echo Delta Bravo Uniform Romeo Golf......

what happened after that you ask?

my batteries died...

its hard to ever know what to believe with them goomers.

JohnDistai

>> 8TAC91 Juliet Echo Delta Bravo Uniform Romeo Golf......
>> what happened after that you ask?
>> my batteries died...

"East of the Rockies, you're on the air!"

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Unknown VIPER on CMVFD TGID of 52711. SHP Comm center for Trp H can talk on it but changes to H1's (or other districts) channel when troopers are talking

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Unknown VIPER on CMVFD TGID of 52711. SHP Comm center for Trp H can talk on it but changes to H1's (or other districts) channel when troopers are talking

A little while back I heard 52722 with EOC radio IDs on it. Wondering if these might be related. Though that TG is in the middle of Air Life and Novant and I just caught a couple of med helos on VIPER LZ the other day, "Med Center" and "Med Center 3", that were totally unfamiliar with viper so that might be new for them.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
A little while back I heard 52722 with EOC radio IDs on it. Wondering if these might be related. Though that TG is in the middle of Air Life and Novant and I just caught a couple of med helos on VIPER LZ the other day, "Med Center" and "Med Center 3", that were totally unfamiliar with viper so that might be new for them.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. It matches with Statewide hospitals but the thing that confused me is that my "Trp H Comm 3" UID was talking to H140 then it jumped to H1's channel

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I have a question regarding the NC VIPER Control Channels. Going by the NC VIPER listing. How can I determine which location within the county to use?
Mainly go by which system is closest to your house or which has the best reception. You can click on the tower/site in the VIPER page and it should give you a map

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have a question regarding the NC VIPER Control Channels. Going by the NC VIPER listing. How can I determine which location within the county to use?

Look at the county they are in and compare it to where you live, possible be in the next county if you are near the county line. Try all that are close and see what has the best traffic.

reconrider8

It also depends on what your trying to monitor. Example if an agency is on an events channel they maybe closer to a tower in another part of the county instead of the one closest to you so you may not garbage traffic. What I always did was manually type in the cc of each tower and see how strong it sounded. If it was clear I used that tower if scratchy move the scanner around a bit if still scratchy just don't use that tower

spacellamaman

i programmed in the towers in a radius of 1 to 3 sites out from my normal location/travel areas, the uniden 436 sweeps through them pretty quick and i built up TGs from ground up instead of from the database, via a wild card i0, then place and lock out the common ones as they pop up into respective depts etc that don't interest me. keeps them on hand if i ever want to listen to them but as i rarely do, i can run 10+ sites very quickly without getting jammed up on stuff i don't want.

Chris0516

i programmed in the towers in a radius of 1 to 3 sites out from my normal location/travel areas, the uniden 436 sweeps through them pretty quick and i built up TGs from ground up instead of from the database, via a wild card i0, then place and lock out the common ones as they pop up into respective depts etc that don't interest me. keeps them on hand if i ever want to listen to them but as i rarely do, i can run 10+ sites very quickly without getting jammed up on stuff i don't want.
Thanks, I did the suggestion below. I completed it last night.

Look at the county they are in and compare it to where you live, possible be in the next county if you are near the county line. Try all that are close and see what has the best traffic.

Randy_Vick

Premium Subscriber
This is more of a scanner related than VIPER question, but since my problem is related to VIPER - I have a BCD396XT with internal GPS. I have the "local" sites and talkgroups already live. I'm having difficulty trying to download and install statewide coverage. ProScan warns sites and talkgroups exceed the limits. I've tried to relatively arbitrarily divide sites and talkgroups, but I always wind up with too many, and in creating new scanner "groups," I'm afraid I won't have the relative talkgroups and sites together.

Does anyone have a suggestion for creating groups that won't exceed the limits, or an even greater blessing, a file to share?

JohnDistai

If I'm listening to VIPER and interested in Raleigh EMS, when I'm programming the scanner do I include both the Raleigh Durant AND the Raleigh Holly Springs listings? Are those the towers?