We Need Freshly Updated and New Database Information for Michigan (Non MPSCS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Placing this here as their wasn't a separate group to 2017 talk-group hits yet.

Another set of Washtenaw County Fire Paging Talk-groups hits today, talk-groups: 22347 and 22350; however, I wasn't able to catch which departments just yet but they were dispatched to the Dexter Twp. fire today.

I added these to the Washtenaw County wiki as well.

Washtenaw will be moving over to pagegroups soon, and retiring VHF alerting for fire, HazMat, and Tech Rescue. Training is being held, soon, as a step in that direction.

Sent via Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how they have all the MPSCS tower sites linked, but near me I can monitor at least a three county area off 1 site, but off some sites on the west side of the state (Battle Creek/Calhoun County) there was nothing but local traffic on them.

The towers are linked by digital microwave and terrestrial digital. The traffic is typically localized, to prevent overloading. For instance, Monroe County traffic is not available in Saginaw, or Traverse City, typically. While certain talkgroups are authorized statewide, most are limited to the area surrounding their county of origin.

Sent via Tapatalk

mikey60

Thanks guys. I already knew this was a statewide system, so therefore now suggested by a couple of you guys I hearing other counties. How strange.

Not really. With a multi-site system like the MPSCS you really almost have to throw out the old concepts of one tower and frequency for a specific agency. With the size of the system the concept of only being able to talk back to your dispatch from within a specific radius of a single tower site also goes by the wayside.

Obviously, with the number of agencies using the system, it's not possible or desirable for every site on the system to carry every talkgroup at all times. To handle this situation, radios must let the system know that they are in range of a tower site and that they are using a specific talkgroup. This is known as affiliating with the system/tower site.

Basically, when turned on, the radio will search for control channels that are nearby. When it finds one that is strong enough to use, it will send a message to the site that basically says "I wish to use this tower site and this specific talkgroup". If that talkgroup is allowed on that site, the tower will acknowledge the request and start transmitting that talkgroup when it is active. If the talkgroup is not allowed, the control channel will send back a denial message, and the radio will continue searching for another control channel to use. As long as there is at least one radio affiliated with that tower site on that talkgroup, you'll hear the traffic that is on that talkgroup from that site.

As the user moves around, the radio is constantly monitoring the signal decode rate of the control channel stream. If it drops too low, it will search for another site with a better signal. P25 systems like the MPSCS make this pretty easy for the radio as the control channel transmits a list of nearby sites and their control channel frequencies for the radio to check so it doesn't have to do a lot of searching for control channels.

The site used will not always be the main site for the agency. Depending in access permissions and the location of the user, it could be any of the 200+ sites across the state. It's not unusual to be hearing an agency on a site one minute, and then not hear another transmission for a long time, occasionally even in mid sentence when a radio moves from that site to another site.

There's more to it, but those are the basics.

Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Do pagegroups have voice on them too or just toneouts? I noticed Saginaw Co has them now too.

The voice is carried, too. There could be some departments that only alert the house bells, but that should be the vast minority.

Pagegroups will only be the initial dispatch, as the pagers alert any time there is a transmission on the pagegroup.

Sent via Tapatalk

GeneseeCoMI

The voice is carried, too. There could be some departments that only alert the house bells, but that should be the vast minority.

Pagegroups will only be the initial dispatch, as the pagers alert any time there is a transmission on the pagegroup.

Sent via Tapatalk

Will the initial dispatches still be heard on the old countywide dispatch talkgroup (1627 in Saginaw Co for example)?

Tattoooz

A couple of new TGID's from the ComSource Michigan DMR system. This is from the Dearborn 2 Tower.

TGID - 101001 - Freq/ID - 35465
TGID - 101003 - Freq/ID - 35467

I'm not sure who these are. Any ideas from anyone picking these up in the Dearborn, Taylor area?

jlochey

Hi,

From Lenawee County:

Wacker Chemical - Manufacturing

Adrian Transport - Bus system in Adrian

jhutch62

MPSCS tower and talk group question.

I know this has probably been discussed many times before but has anyone compiled a list of talk groups that will broadcast on each individual MPSCS tower? For example, I live in Clare County and I can receive the Clare County Sheriff's talk group, along with fire, EMS etc... But I can't pick up Genesee County, although I do pick up some Michigan State Police, other counties and special events broadcasts. How does this work and are there towers that pick up and or broadcast all MPSCS talk groups?

jprleedy4680

I know this has probably been discussed many times before but has anyone compiled a list of talk groups that will broadcast on each individual MPSCS tower? For example, I live in Clare County and I can receive the Clare County Sheriff's talk group, along with fire, EMS etc... But I can't pick up Genesee County, although I do pick up some Michigan State Police, other counties and special events broadcasts. How does this work and are there towers that pick up and or broadcast all MPSCS talk groups?

Short answer is no. All traffic heard is local to that tower. If a Genessee County radio was affiliated on that tower, you would then be able to hear its active talkgroups.

Whatever tower you have dialed in, you will only hear active traffic on that tower serving the talkgroups in that area.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Farwell Area Schools/Bus Garage has definitely switched from FMN mode, to DMR.

Thanks! I pretty much figured they did just didn't have anyone confirming it. Changed it in the database.
If there is any other things you see needing updating let us know, send a submission we'll get right on it!
We don't get many submissions-updates from the northern half of MI.

Last edited:

rajalad

The towers are linked by digital microwave and terrestrial digital. The traffic is typically localized, to prevent overloading. For instance, Monroe County traffic is not available in Saginaw, or Traverse City, typically. While certain talkgroups are authorized statewide, most are limited to the area surrounding their county of origin.

Sent via Tapatalk

You are absolutely correct! (MPSCS TECH)

scanmanmi

MPSCS tower and talk group question.
. But I can't pick up Genesee County, although I do pick up some Michigan State Police, other counties and special events broadcasts. How does this work and are there towers that pick up and or broadcast all MPSCS talk groups?
Old post but................. I'm in Clare I have a ham radio 900 MHZ 15 element beam pointed SE and I can pick up Saginaw and Genessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.