ProScan: What defines a "hit"

kh2

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is SDS 200 specific or Proscan -

I'm curious what defines a hit - IE what makes Proscan log a hit. In Proscan history logging it shows 600 hits but only 19 seconds of duration. So that seems way out of proportion. I guess I don't know what to do with the information. Is a weak signal triggering the hit and I am not receiving it?

I'm fighting antennas and setups I'm at the bottom of a bowl surrounded by obstacles. Weeding out 3 antennas, Yagi, Diamond Discone 3000 and a CompacTenna. Oddly enough and subjectively the CompacTenna picks up more than the rest.

Mainly listening to King County WA, PSERN, By far the State patrol is the highest hits on 155.8, But others on 85x.xxx are similar but 1/2 the hits.

Thanks -

ecps92

Not sure if this is SDS 200 specific or Proscan -

I'm curious what defines a hit - IE what makes Proscan log a hit. In Proscan history logging it shows 600 hits but only 19 seconds of duration. So that seems way out of proportion. I guess I don't know what to do with the information. Is a weak signal triggering the hit and I am not receiving it?

I'm fighting antennas and setups I'm at the bottom of a bowl surrounded by obstacles. Weeding out 3 antennas, Yagi, Diamond Discone 3000 and a CompacTenna. Oddly enough and subjectively the CompacTenna picks up more than the rest.

Mainly listening to King County WA, PSERN, By far the State patrol is the highest hits on 155.8, But others on 85x.xxx are similar but 1/2 the hits.

Thanks -
Not having dealt with that specific software, but it generally is/was ANY Blip of activity on the Freq/Tone being monitored
600 hits for 19 seconds is a lot of ker-chunking

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
In Options > Logging > History you can adjust the length of time for something to be considered a "hit".
Actually, ProScan deletes an entry that is less than the amount set.
Screenshot 2023-11-07 120230.png
The dropdown allows selection of "Off" and 1 to 10 seconds in 1 second increments.

kh2

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the help - I had the logging history set at 2" upped to 3. any generic time that "works"?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm curious what defines a hit - IE what makes Proscan log a hit. In Proscan history logging it shows 600 hits but only 19 seconds of duration. So that seems way out of proportion.
A hit is detected in ProScan when the scanner detects activity and sends the activity to ProScan. Activity is squelch break on conventional frequencies and TGIDs on trunking systems. When ProScan detects activity then the display border changes color too, in addition to the logging.

Is a weak signal triggering the hit and I am not receiving it?
Could be caused by weak signals if your location is in a fringe area. That will cause the scanner to intermittently receive the signal.

Appreciate the help - I had the logging history set at 2" upped to 3. any generic time that "works"?
Upping it may make it worse. Change it to 1 or Off.

kh2

Premium Subscriber
Bob - Thank you for the clarity. and I'll change the setting to off and monitor for a day or two.

Thanks!

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip>

<snip>

I’m a COMPACtenna believer and user. I was wondering which model COMPACtenna were you using for this comparison? Is it the SCAN-III? Also, what make and model Yagi antenna were you using?

Dr. Nilsson’s COMPACtennas really do work as advertised. There is a reason they do based on the design theory behind them.

The Yagi and Diamond Discone 3000 understandably don’t do as well because they only capture part of the energy coming from the transmit antenna. Those two antennas don’t pick up as many signals because they don’t utilize the Magnetic Field component of a radio wave.

I’ve been using the 2 Meter / 70 cm COMPACtenna for a couple of years now to receive signals from the International Space Station (ISS) because as the radio waves pass through the atmosphere from space, polarization changes frequently and the COMPACtenna is better suited for those signals with fluctuating polarization changes.

73, Dave K4EET

kh2

Premium Subscriber
K4EET - running the SCAN-III, it's crazy how it works. mine is on a cookie sheet in the LR! I do have the tri band that I am going to mount on a Ground Plane, should be here this week. I am hoping to hit some local repeaters - and or for mobile we will see. all I can verify subjectively is that they work in my location.

The Yagi I am using - embarrassingly enough I bought on e-bay about 8 yrs ago out of ignorance and desperation - and it works well. I've never used a meter to scan it but seems tuned for the 800MHz area and works well.

I never thought of the CompacTenna for sat work I will keep it in mind - thanks!