What does "quick key" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

Hello everyone.

What does "quick key" mean when talking about phone (not CW)?

Some debate going on here as to what it means. Several different definitions floating around, no consensus.

Thanks for your help.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Quick keying in phone is when you immediately transmit after the other operator barely finishes talking. When going through a repeater, there may not be a sufficient pause to allow the repeater timer to reset. It's considered a poor operating practice since there is no break in the conversation and others can't get a word in edgewise.

romanr

There a multiple uses of the term in reference to programmable button functions on some radios and with programming some scanners for trunked systems, but without context your question is a bit difficult to answer.

Locally, we have several networked repeater systems and the term is most frequently used to describe the practice of pressing PTT and immediately talking without giving the networked repeaters time to key-up. If you "quick key", your first few syllables may be lost.

WB9YBM

To build on that point a bit: a certain percentage of repeaters have a courtesy tone (otherwise known as a "reset beep") which occurs after a preset amount of time has elapsed after someone unkeys their microphone, indicating when the time-out timer of the repeater has re-set. To make sure that this timer has a chance to reset the next person due to transmit must wait until he/she hears "BEEEEP". The pause between someone unkeying & the time that the beep is heard, if set up properly, should allow sufficient time for someone to get a word in.

k6cpo

Another way "quick key" is used is to describe when someone starts talking before the PTT button is fully pushed and the transmitter has a chance to fully key up. Doing this clips off the first part of the conversation. It was such a problem that in railroad communications, the proper procedure is to reverse the sequence of calling and called stations. Normally, the called station is said first with the calling station following: "K6XXX, this is W6YYY" where a typical railroad conversation might be "Dispatcher to AMTK 517..."

n5ims

Another issue that's similar to "quick keying" is when a user has their radio programmed to send information when their PTT switch is pressed. Often this is MDC-1200 PTT ID (often programmed just to "sound cool") or Wires-X (on Yaesu radios) used to activate the seldom used Wires-X function when in analog mode (nearly always programmed by default or accident). Both of these will mute the mic audio for a second or more for the tones to be sent clearly so the user's audio will be missing the audio for that second or more. The solution to this issue is simple, 1) turn the function off or 2) wait to talk for 2 seconds or so when you press the PTT button to let it finish.

a417

Another issue that's similar to "quick keying" is when a user has their radio programmed to send information when their PTT switch is pressed. Often this is MDC-1200 PTT ID (often programmed just to "sound cool") or Wires-X (on Yaesu radios) used to activate the seldom used Wires-X function when in analog mode (nearly always programmed by default or accident). Both of these will mute the mic audio for a second or more for the tones to be sent clearly so the user's audio will be missing the audio for that second or more. The solution to this issue is simple, 1) turn the function off or 2) wait to talk for 2 seconds or so when you press the PTT button to let it finish.
3) enable the PTT Sidetone to warn the user that the radio is busy sending the PTT ID.

Ravenkeeper

With our radios, at work, you have to press the PTT button and wait to hear the beeps, before you can start talking. If the network is busy, the beeps will not happen; IE, "dead key." You really have to be part of the conversation or be keeping up with the conversation, to get your transmission in.

rapidcharger

So to sum up the responses thus far,

1.) Not leaving a gap so breaking stations can get in. (also known as being a lid)
2.) Speaking before or too soon after you key up your radio thereby cutting yourself off. (this was my personal understanding of the term)
3.) Not waiting long enough for networked repeaters to begin receiving before sending traffic. (kinda the same as #2)
4.) Not waiting for signaling to finish before speaking. (really the same thing as #2 when you think about it)

The early polling would seem to indicate that speaking before you key up or too soon after you key up is the more common understanding of the term "quick key".

I hate being right all the time.

bharvey2

So to sum up the responses thus far,

1.) Not leaving a gap so breaking stations can get in. (also known as being a lid)
2.) Speaking before or too soon after you key up your radio thereby cutting yourself off. (this was my personal understanding of the term)
3.) Not waiting long enough for networked repeaters to begin receiving before sending traffic. (kinda the same as #2)
4.) Not waiting for signaling to finish before speaking. (really the same thing as #2 when you think about it)

The early polling would seem to indicate that speaking before you key up or too soon after you key up is the more common understanding of the term "quick key".

I hate being right all the time.

In my mind, I've always classified your items 2-4 as quick-keying. That is, speaking before the hardware in use is ready. I suppose being a bonehead as in item number one could described as quick-keying as well though I think I'd list it as one of the lesser used descriptions. All are in bad form however.

a417

In my mind, I've always classified your items 2-4 as quick-keying. That is, speaking before the hardware in use is ready. I suppose being a bonehead as in item number one could described as quick-keying as well though I think I'd list it as one of the lesser used descriptions. All are "operator error" however.
FTFY

Status
Not open for further replies.