Why do ICAO MWARA and ARINC LDOCF operators say "err"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD9DJC

I was listening to MWARA frequencies on CAR-B 6586 kHz and I could hear the New York station and the aircraft. After most transmissions, the person at New York said "err" or "air" or something that sounded like that. I was reading the ARINC operating procedures handbook (yes ARINC is different from ICAO but their systems work similarly) and it said "Each transmission by the ground talker should be preceded with an
“err” or “uhh” to allow the voice-operated relay to complete its switching function." but this was under the phone patch procedures part. Are the air traffic controllers constantly in a phone patch with the New York Radio, or are they saying "air" to help identify the aircraft? If you would like some audio file snippets to help, let me know.

QDP2012

...it said "Each transmission by the ground talker should be preceded with an “err” or “uhh” to allow the voice-operated relay to complete its switching function."...

In addition to phone-patch users, similar guidance has been given to people who use Voice-operated switch (VOX) systems, because, in the past, some systems would chop off the first syllable or two. I don't know if modern systems still have that problem, nor if this is related to what you have described, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Hope this helps,

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
After most transmissions, the person at New York said "err" or "air" or something that sounded like that.

The ARINC radio operator on 6586 is talking directly to the aircraft so there is no reason to say "err" or "air" or anything after every transmission.

New York Radio will end a conversation with a flight by simply saying "New York" as the last transmission. I'm guessing this is what you are hearing ? Unless you heard something weird or are talking about something else ?

Can you post a clip or a more detailed description or transcript ?

Last edited:

ampulman

Many, many years ago, I worked with someone who was a pilot. I asked her to vocalize a typical radio call. It started with an 'uhh'.

Being a casual listener to aviation radio over the years, it seems that most calls began with a similar utterance. Once the contact was established, the 'uhh' was dropped.

Amp

autovon

Ø
I have never heard this and have used Gander/Shanwick many times crossing the pond. Also, there is no procedure for pilots to say 'uhh' on the radio. It's kind of like those folks that say 'uhhh' every 30 seconds when speaking in front of an audience.

ETA: As posted above, you might have been hearing Gander or New York ID after their transmission with whoever they were talking to. Said fast and on HF, those words can sound like an errrrrrr.

KD9DJC

Thanks to everyone for the very quick responses. A lot of these are good ideas. I'll have to look over them all again to see which one might be the most probable. In the meantime, if you wanted to hear some audio snippets, here's a quick file I made. The time between the transmissions sound unnaturally short because I cut them short so you wouldn't be listening to static for a while. Here's the link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzibn8XTXFFgUzQySzRyeE1ya1k/view?usp=sharing

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
if you wanted to hear some audio snippets, here's a quick file I made.

All I'm hearing is standard transmission. He ends with "New York" 5 times and a few with "Over", "Roger" and "Standby". I don't hear any "err" or "air" that you are talking about ?

KD9DJC

Ok. They must just be saying it so fast it sounds like "air" to me. Thank you to everyone for the help.

KD9DJC

Yeah now that I listened to it again, he's definitely saying New York. It was hard to hear the "K" and the end of New York. Thank you all again!

brandon

Database Admin
Ending transmission with the station identifier "New York" - they just say it so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.