Why doesn't Uniden provide programming software for some scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Just curious as to why Uniden does not provide software for programming their DMA scanners, but does provide software for the Home Patrol, 435/536, and SDS scanners.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Just curious as to why Uniden does not provide software for programming their DMA scanners, but does provide software for the Home Patrol, 435/536, and SDS scanners.

I think only the late great UPMan could of fully answer. They did make the UASD software for the DMA non XT scanners. I vaguely remember UPMan once said they hired a programmer to update the UASD to support the XT models. That was the last I heard on the subject.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Sentinel software was created out of necessity when the original HP-1 was designed. That was the first time that Uniden touted "the entire RR database at your fingertips", and therefore they had to create software to support the ability to easily update the entire database on a weekly basis, along with firmware updates that were also now being accomplish via loading off the microSD card.

With the previous models, programming software was certainly a nice luxury to have, but it didn't preclude you from programming the scanner by hand. That was not the case with the HP-1, in fact without purchasing the Extreme Upgrade, it wasn't even possible to make changes to the programming via the touch screen, Sentinel was required.

It would've been wholly unfair for Uniden to expect third parties to write the software to support the HP-1 and subsequent models based on that "full database on a memory card" model (HP-2, x36HP, SDS), so writing their own software was part of the package deal.

That being said, I am very grateful that @ProScan has a Favorites Editor for the x36HP and SDS series. Sentinel is utilitarian at best, whereas with ProScan we can enjoy a fully functional experience when maintaining our favorites lists. (y)

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
That being said, I am very grateful that @ProScan has a Favorites Editor for the x36HP and SDS series. Sentinel is utilitarian at best, whereas with ProScan we can enjoy a fully functional experience when maintaining our favorites lists. (y)

Ditto the Butel software line; I'd be pulling my hair out if it weren't for either one of them. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.