Why is Genesee Co Fireground 2 on 2151?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm listening to a working structure fire in Argentine Twp (Genesee Co) but for some reason Genesee Co Fireground 2 (usually on 2403) is coming in on 2151 (Livingston Co emergency scene 1) instead of its usual talkgroup. Whats up with that?

mikey60

But there was only 1 Livingston Co dept there and the scene was in Genesee Co, doesn't make any sense to me.

If the talkgroups were patched together, which talkgroup becomes the primary one is dependant on which button the person that set up the patch hit first. In this case, the dispatcher probably patched 25FG2 to the livingston TG.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
If the talkgroups were patched together, which talkgroup becomes the primary one is dependant on which button the person that set up the patch hit first. In this case, the dispatcher probably patched 25FG2 to the livingston TG.

Mike

seems like it should be the other way around though

mikey60

seems like it should be the other way around though

To the units in the field, there's no difference in the way the radios operate in a patched mode, so it really doesn't matter which way it's patched. Operationally it doesn't matter which way the patch is done, it matters more to scanner owners since we're more concerned with the talkgroup numbers, and the users of the system are not.

The dispatcher's thought process was probably something like I want to tie 25FG2 into the Livingston talkgroup so that they can talk to each other...

Mike

SCPD

QRT
To the units in the field, there's no difference in the way the radios operate in a patched mode, so it really doesn't matter which way it's patched. Operationally it doesn't matter which way the patch is done, it matters more to scanner owners since we're more concerned with the talkgroup numbers, and the users of the system are not.

The dispatcher's thought process was probably something like I want to tie 25FG2 into the Livingston talkgroup so that they can talk to each other...

Mike

well the Livingston Co units went home and I'm picking up GCFG2 on 2403 again so the patch is um unpatched.

kb8rvp

Yes that was a very strange day for the patch between Hartland Fire on 47EMER1 and Genesee County Fire ground 2. After Hartland called Liv Co Central and asked for a patch you could no longer listen to the fire on Fire ground 2 all traffic on the Holly tower only came across 47EMER1. Fred W8FSM was watching the data using ProComm and it was showing the same thing. ARES was activated and I was sent to Genesee County 911 for the event and I asked one of the dispatchers about this and they didn't have an answer but said that Liv Co Central activated the patch. Sitting at the dispatch center I had my Pro-96 on the Holly tower and could only get the traffic on 47EMER1 but because the dispatch center has a microwave link to the system they could still pickup the traffic on Fireground 2. As soon as Hartland went home and the patch was disconnected everything went back to normal.

Mike

mikey60

Yes that was a very strange day for the patch between Hartland Fire on 47EMER1 and Genesee County Fire ground 2. After Hartland called Liv Co Central and asked for a patch you could no longer listen to the fire on Fire ground 2 all traffic on the Holly tower only came across 47EMER1. Fred W8FSM was watching the data using ProComm and it was showing the same thing. ARES was activated and I was sent to Genesee County 911 for the event and I asked one of the dispatchers about this and they didn't have an answer but said that Liv Co Central activated the patch. Sitting at the dispatch center I had my Pro-96 on the Holly tower and could only get the traffic on 47EMER1 but because the dispatch center has a microwave link to the system they could still pickup the traffic on Fireground 2. As soon as Hartland went home and the patch was disconnected everything went back to normal.

Mike

For a patched talkgroup, this is completely normal system operation.

One of the talkgroups becomes a "Super Group", the talkgroup ID that will carry all of the voice traffic for all patched talkgroups and itself. When another talkgroup is patched to the supergroup, the system will advertise that Talkgroup X is patched to Talkgroup Y, in this case Fireground 2 was patched to 47EMER1, so 47EMER1 became the "SuperGroup", and all traffic for either Fireground 2 or 47EMER1 would then be carried on 47EMER1.

The radios on the system will handle the difference and to the users, it's completely transparent. It really only effects scanner users since we're the only ones that are really concerned about the actual talkgroup numbers.

Mike

kb8rvp

Thanks for the info Mike. I kind of wondered if it was just a scanner thing because the users of the system seemed to be fine.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.