HP-2: Windows Sentinel Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocotner

I am having trouble getting my Home Patrol 2 Scanner to update using the Sentinel software. When I try to update everything, I get the error message " Updating HP failed. Operation is canceled. The operation has timed out. I have tried to email scanner master, and they told me that I need to make sure that it is showing up with a drive letter, which it is. If the issue is when you are trying to download the database, then it might be a firewall issue. try disabling the firewall, or creating an exception in your router. How do I do that??

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am having trouble getting my Home Patrol 2 Scanner to update using the Sentinel software. When I try to update everything, I get the error message " Updating HP failed. Operation is canceled. The operation has timed out. I have tried to email scanner master, and they told me that I need to make sure that it is showing up with a drive letter, which it is. If the issue is when you are trying to download the database, then it might be a firewall issue. try disabling the firewall, or creating an exception in your router. How do I do that??

That is a classic error message for problems with your ISP connection. Are you using a satellite service provider like HughesNet for your service provider?

If so, that would most likely be your problem.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hughes Net is my ISP. So how do I fix the problem??

Haven't seen any sure fire cure for Hughes, it has to do with the latency inherent with the way they handle their FTP transfers. Only thing you can do is take a laptop with Sentinel on it to somewhere you can log onto a better ISP.... such as a friend's WiFi, or a public WiFi, update the database there, and write it to your scanner when you get home.

Hughes has been a constant problem going back to the first release of the HP-1 in 2009. I've never heard of anyone using HughesNet that was able to successfully use their service with Sentinel. Many users have called them to fix the problem, but I don't think anyone ever had any luck.

If you use the search function on the forum, you will find many, many problems with HughesNet.

Last edited:

Jocotner

Thank you for your help, and advice! I appreciate it very much!! I will try going somewhere else to update my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.