Wires needed for the KPC-3+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You will need a cable to connect the TNC to your radio. It's easy enough to make your own. I usually start with a cable that has a 6-pin mini-DIN on one end since that connector can be tricky to solder. Yaesu has such a cable, CT-39, but you can usually find cheaper ones from computer cable sellers on-line. For the TNC end, you can get the parts to assemble a DB9 connector from the parts drawers at RadioShack (yes, the RadioShacks around here that survived still have their parts drawers). The pin-outs for the radio end of the cable are in the Yaesu manual and the pin-outs for the TNC end are in the Kantronics manual. Buxcomm has pre-made cables, but he charges $20-25 for them which I think is expensive for something I can do myself.

You will also need a cable to connect the TNC to your computer. The version of Windows you are running isn't important since all versions of Windows understand RS-232 serial ports. If your computer doesn't have a serial port, only USB ports, then you will have to deal with that. The end of the cable that connects to the TNC will need a DB25 connector. You may be able to find a DB25 to USB serial converter, but you may have to do this in two-steps: a DB25 to DB9 "modem" cable, then a DB9 to USB serial converter. Both should be available from a good computer parts store or on-line. Make sure the USB to serial converter uses the FTDI chip as it typically causes fewer headaches than the Prolific chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.