WISCOM (2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coug

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Wausau, WI
Hello, Coug.

My suggestion is to try the Uniden BCD396XT for one reason: you want to listen to Vilas county and those guys love the encryption button. Don't get me wrong, I love my PSR-500, but it does not mute the audio when receiving an encrypted digital transmission where the Uniden will. For that reason only, and for where you said you would be listening, I would recommend the Uniden. Unless you like listening to Donald Duck.

If you need an easier interface Uniden makes the Home Patrol and GRE makes the PSR-800. The PSR-800 will mute encrypted audio. I don't know if the Home Patrol will.


Thanks for your response. I'm a novice and for a while have wanted to get a good quality scanner. Now I have some money to do so. For this particular scanner (BCD396XT), do I need to purchase an external antenna for my vehicle? I heard that handheld scanners are not as good as base scanners regarding the signal. Or is that a myth?

Again, thanks for your help!
 

djeplett

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
858
Reaction score
189
Location
NE Wisconsin
I will private message you the answer so we don't hijack this thread any more.

Oops. Looks like I can't email or private message you due to your profile restrictions. Feel free to send me an email and we can discuss further.

w9dje at charter.net
 
Last edited:

MarcusDude

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
223
Reaction score
53
Location
Appleton, Wisconsin
New Talkgroup: 9015 unknown Fed agency. Some kind of surveillance operation going on unencrypted here in Milwaukee. Possibly related to TG 9011.
 

MarcusDude

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
223
Reaction score
53
Location
Appleton, Wisconsin
Here in Milwaukee I am picking up a P25 control channel on 162.275 System ID is B0A. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it part of WISCOM, and if so, what site?
 

whop94

Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
43
Reaction score
13
Location
Middleton, WI
Capitol Police appear to be simulcasting from the Madison TRS on talkgroup 8501. Also I'm picking up a control channel on 152.7125 here in Madison. It is considerably stronger than Deerfield and Blue Mound, which are spotty at best around here.
 

Div106

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Messages
132
Reaction score
43
Location
Southeastern WI
State Patrol Fond Du Lac Post is starting to dispatch non emergency calls to troopers/inspectors on TG 131 WSPNE1. At this time,not all Post 3 trooper/inspectors have the WISCOM radios installed yet
 

whop94

Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
43
Reaction score
13
Location
Middleton, WI
Same around here. The new control channel moved to 152.84 and I'm hearing state patrol traffic on tg 118.
 

Paul-W

Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2001
Messages
118
Reaction score
19
Location
Midwest-USA
Late last night, I noticed on the Milwaukee 800 MHz site that the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Dept was simulcasting on this site. I just started to monitor this site and wonder if this is the norm for the Sheriffs dept to do this or does this have anything to do with the state patrol possibly moving over to this system and or specific site?
 

Div106

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Messages
132
Reaction score
43
Location
Southeastern WI
Waukesha Post Troopers/inspectors should be getting wiscom radio shortly to begin testing,so might be seeing tgs 12x picking up soon
 

Tim

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
515
Reaction score
123
Location
Milwaukee, Wi
Greetings....

I heard WSP testing with the dispatcher on 121, 123 and one other one (that I can't remember right now). I didn't catch if it was troopers (2xx's) or Inspectors (22xx's)...though.

Tim

@Div106, I'll see you tomorrow...bright and early. :)
 

Tim

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
515
Reaction score
123
Location
Milwaukee, Wi
Greetings All...

It appears like the "Milwaukee-South" site is now online. Control Channel 152.0225 is on the air. Thanks to the Milwaukee County Scan Talkgroup (41010), I was able to identify the other voice channels as 151.0025 / 151.3475 / 152.5475 / 152.7800.

Tim
 

cpd38

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
155
Reaction score
6
Location
Dane CO WI
FWIW -- WSP TG 118 has been a simulcast of Dane Co Sheriff Data / MPD Data channel. In the database it was previously listed as a simulcast of DeForest Post. I noticed that part was at least deleted now since it wasn't correct.
 

jdm911

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
204
Reaction score
2
Location
Northwest of Cloquet
Still pretty quiet in the northwoods, heard a strong CC in Superior last week (was showing site #72 with CC of 150.905) but it is quiet again, I suspect they are working on getting the Superior site up. Not much traffic other than tests on STAC1.
 

box23

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
500
Reaction score
27
Location
State of Superior
Still pretty quiet in the northwoods, heard a strong CC in Superior last week (was showing site #72 with CC of 150.905) but it is quiet again, I suspect they are working on getting the Superior site up. Not much traffic other than tests on STAC1.

#72 is Superior. I would suspect it changed control channels, in case you haven't searched since.

Maple and Gordon are also up, #128 and #127, respectively. They have been hanging around in the ~152 MHz area.
 

JT-112

Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
497
Reaction score
10
Box, any idea what Gold Cross will do for their Douglas county ops?

Guessing that's a bit far away to be covered by the ARMER system, which they've adopted in Minnesota.
 

box23

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
500
Reaction score
27
Location
State of Superior
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; ADR910L Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

sixtytwo said:
Box, any idea what Gold Cross will do for their Douglas county ops?

Guessing that's a bit far away to be covered by the ARMER system, which they've adopted in Minnesota.

I do not. They like to keep things to themselves. Although one path I can see working would be to take advantage of the inter-system linking that is already in place and have a WISCOM counterpart to their ARMER Duluth Dispatch. They already have dual-band mobiles in the ambulances.

ARMER actually works farther out than some would think. Because of the "other" sites on the NorthShore and down the State line there is coverage in some places where there wasn't before. When intercepting with them a couple months ago they had no problem talking to their dispatch while I could barely copy their narrowbanded VHF channel on the mobile where it used to be full quieting.
 

JT-112

Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
497
Reaction score
10
I do not. They like to keep things to themselves. Although one path I can see working would be to take advantage of the inter-system linking that is already in place and have a WISCOM counterpart to their ARMER Duluth Dispatch. They already have dual-band mobiles in the ambulances.

ARMER actually works farther out than some would think. Because of the "other" sites on the NorthShore and down the State line there is coverage in some places where there wasn't before. When intercepting with them a couple months ago they had no problem talking to their dispatch while I could barely copy their narrowbanded VHF channel on the mobile where it used to be full quieting.

I haven't talked in depth with any of them for several years (hence my question), but I got the feeling that much of the decision-making was coming from "down south" so they may just not know what's up.

Along those lines, when I had those discussions, they were adamant that they would "never go to ARMER..."

WRT coverage, with the right gear (hint, not a scanner), getting 20-30+ miles of coverage from a P25 800 MHz site is not unheard of at all. But I had heard rumblings about expanding a bit further east where I just couldn't see ARMER working for them, nor the narrowbanded VHF system with the ever-so-nice 15-25% range reduction...
 

box23

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
500
Reaction score
27
Location
State of Superior
I haven't talked in depth with any of them for several years (hence my question), but I got the feeling that much of the decision-making was coming from "down south" so they may just not know what's up.

Along those lines, when I had those discussions, they were adamant that they would "never go to ARMER..."

WRT coverage, with the right gear (hint, not a scanner), getting 20-30+ miles of coverage from a P25 800 MHz site is not unheard of at all. But I had heard rumblings about expanding a bit further east where I just couldn't see ARMER working for them, nor the narrowbanded VHF system with the ever-so-nice 15-25% range reduction...

Yes, there aren't too many decisions made locally. Although in my experience, it's not so much that the Duluth group doesn't know about the Rochester decisions, but that Rochester hasn't made the decisions yet.

I know there was talk of an 800 MHz WISCOM site in the area because of the overlap between the many users eventually to be on both systems, but I don't know if that progressed at all. And the website is pretty useless since it hasn't been updated since early last Fall.

As for Gold Cross expanding East, I'm sure I would know if that were happening.:roll: But ARMER as is now and their current VHF would definitely not be enough.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top