• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wondering If I can get quick help identifying something for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwile20vt

Going to jump course for a night and pick someone's brain on a small project I've been working on . One of my fav. parts of radio hobby CB / HAM or whatever I love fixing/restoring radios and tinkering with problem units try to get them to work .

Could someone please help me and tell me ... in uniden radios , specifically this Grant XL I'm trying to get working again . Upon opening this Grant I saw a mangled adjustable diode or something , that's what my question is .What exactly are these called pictured in the attachment ? it calls for you to adjust VR10 and VR11 for mod. and such when tuning/aligning , It seems that whoever owned this radio at some point tried to do something and the white top isn't there so no adjustment can be made , and I think that's what is causing this radio to no TX , like there's no power .. meter moves slightly but nothing booming

Thank you for taking a minute to read and help if you can

Jeremy

Attachments

• tempdiode.jpg
    tempdiode.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 563

mancow

Database Admin
Potentiometer (variable resistor) aka "pot"

The one on the right is 3k ohms (3000) ohms

cant really tell on the other but looks to be the same.

Don't know what you mean by white part isn't there because they look complete. Put your DVM on one bottom leg and one lead on the top center and move the top portion. The ohms reading should change.

Last edited:

Chopswell

Looks like

Aren't those two modules (that you can insert small screwdriver and adjust) called the "peaker and tweeker?" lol. I once had a Uniden Grant and could use my SWR-RF meter and while keying the mic, adjust the output power and on receive, turn up and it would increase the volume (far away stations).

jwile20vt

Aren't those two modules (that you can insert small screwdriver and adjust) called the "peaker and tweeker?" lol. I once had a Uniden Grant and could use my SWR-RF meter and while keying the mic, adjust the output power and on receive, turn up and it would increase the volume (far away stations).

This is what I think the original owner was trying to do , I am going to take a pic of the one thats mangled . I was trying to pick my brain but to my knowledge these were what you adjusted for tweaking a Grant .

original owner didn't know what he had ... my heart kinda broke when i opened it and saw some damage to one of those pots . ill post pics later , would love to fix it if I could .

drouse3

This is what I think the original owner was trying to do , I am going to take a pic of the one thats mangled . I was trying to pick my brain but to my knowledge these were what you adjusted for tweaking a Grant .

original owner didn't know what he had ... my heart kinda broke when i opened it and saw some damage to one of those pots . ill post pics later , would love to fix it if I could .

Are you using the radio meter to adjust this radio? The meter on the radio may have adjusted giving you a false reading. VR-10 should raise your am power. Also those parts do not look damaged.

jwile20vt

yes I was just checking the radio meter , The picture above I used was just a example . I was able to snap a couple tonight of the exact i'm working on , it looks like it is VR-10 that's pretty much not there ..as you can see below , Its rather disgusting . only other problem when I checked it over looked to be random 2 wires that were disconnected but I found where they go , just don't know which color goes on which pin . Images below of both the broken POT and the random 2 wires that were removed. I can replace POT's right ? least it looks like it .
Its a nice not long story but I won't bore anyone . Al I know is its in the hands of someone who appreciates it now , the reason I mention I think him trying to tweak it is because it is vr-10 which before was mentioned here I goggled a few threads in first place cause when I was given the radio the father did tell me his son looked stuff up on the web and was sure he was trying to make it better . when the radio was found with covers off and the 2 wires hanging there the father took it , was inherited from fam member. Anyways , pics below I really want to thank you guys for the replies already .

Attachments

• IMG00013-20100529-2340.jpg
    IMG00013-20100529-2340.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG00016-20100529-2342.jpg
    IMG00016-20100529-2342.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 532

drouse3

It looks like someone tried to hook up a power knob. The random two wire you removed may have gone to a control knob so the power could be adjusted. Also, Yes it can be replaced it if you have a replacement.

Last edited:

jwile20vt

awesome , I can replace VR-10 POT also right ? well whats left of it I should say .... Anyone have a part number for a POT... Would love to jump on this to get it back working .

Looks pretty simple granted you know how to solder and such , which i've done a good amount of when contracting for local computer shop . After replacing that VR-10 pot you mentioned also it was for AM power..I can just readjust with a meter right ? get it back to normal

Thanks again for all the help from everyone

Jeremy

jwile20vt

just to put the final page on a thread if anyone every searches this in future

Ended up cleaning and removing what was left of the VR10 pot , soldered a wire from each hole on the board where the potentiometer was and ran it to my SWR cal knob . looses the SWR cal but can just run a external meter for now or drill hole and add a 5k potentiometer to the side of the chassis.

also makes it adjustable AM power .

Status
Not open for further replies.