WS1065 DSP Boot Screen Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Synopsis: I have had several of the GRE derived scanners for several yrs, and have gotten some cheap and got them working again by reflashing them. So I picked up one on eBay that boots to an error screen that only tells the DSP version.

Problem: I have already reflashed the CPU software about 3 times. Also Whistler email support told me that they don't publish the DSP software reflasher, like RS and GRE did. I have also tried all of the reset codes that are in the manual. I actually got it to start normally one time when I held down the 0 and 5 keys while turning it on. But as soon as I turned it off, it went right back to booting to a screen that shows only the DSP version that you can't get rid of. Also the 0 and 5 keys trick only worked once. The only screens it will boot to is the software update screen by holding down Program while turning it on and the other screen is the DSP version screen. I gave a $100 bucks for it, but I probably should not have.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
You do not hold the buttons while turning the scanner on, except the PROG button for the CPU update. Turn the scanner off. Turn the scanner on. At the welcome screen, press 0 and then press CLR. That erases the DSP APP Upgrade code and restores the factory DSP version.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
You do not hold the buttons while turning the scanner on
When one of these GRE derived scanners gets stuck booting to the DSP screen, it new gets to the welcome screen, it never completes the boot cycle. It goes straight to a screen that shows the DSP firmware version and none of the buttons do anything.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Here's the firmware updater for the latest that is 2.9 for WHISTLERS ONLY!
Like I said in my OP, Whistler email support said that they don't publish the DSP firmware update [like RS and GRE did] and that is what I really need. Maybe @Ronaldski could contact Whistler and ask them why that is and why are are trying to force people to send in their scanner in for an easy user applicable update, but of course we already know the reason.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I've seen elsewhere that say after many tries the updater did work. Although fellow in this thread saying there is an issue with the board, granted the error they state isn't exactly what we see.

Be sure to NOT have the programming cable inserted when getting into firmware update.

I've done this several times, be sure that the cable is fully pushed in, other times it felt and sounded like it went all the way in, but needed the extra push to get it fully seated and connected.

Here's a forum search with other threads with similar/same issues

No luck, a good candidate at least for parts to G & G Communications and unknown if he would give you something$ in return.

HOW TO CONTACT US...
We prefer email contact at Our email address Phone contact typically from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST only Monday Through Friday. Note that due to the number of annoying solicitors and robo-calls that we receive, many times we do not answer the phone. Please leave a message. will get back to you. Again, we prefer email contact.

I would send him this forum link of course in the email.

His number is at the bottom of his page.

Swipesy

Sorry to read that. These units were supposed to be indestructible as to their firmware. Hard to believe, baring some major hardware failure, that you can't get it to boot.

Did you also run this Whistler updater program? PCIF Cable Drivers (CDM20830_Setup.exe). Also when trying to boot press the #3 key to see if you get the version of firmware installed.

Last edited:

Swipesy

According to Post #21 in the below link, the file I sent you should resolve the issue. It is the Whistler recommended cure.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
According to Post #21 in the below link,
Yeah, I just want to be clear, this is not the "CPU firmware missing error", this is some kind of crazy error that makes it boot to the DSP firmware screen (see pic).
DSP_error.jpg

There are threads about this on here dating back to 2010 and on all the GRE derived scanners, but no one says how to solve it in them.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Several people in my area including myself owned the Pro 197 and Whistler 1065 series radios and almost all of them as they got some age on them got to where they would start losing their programming and have to be reloaded, started off happening about once every couple weeks, then progressed over a few months to the point of showing the same thing as yours is doing... apparently they have some lots of the eeproms that weren't very good and over time they progress to the point of being unusable. I sent in the 1065 and was told that was the problem, repair quoted cost was over half the price of a new one at the time... I will never own another one which is a shame I thought the audio was clearer on P25 trunking than my uniden 996, but since then I have bought several various Uniden models and they have never given me any problems.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Several people in my area including myself owned the Pro 197 and Whistler 1065 series radios
Well I have nearly a dozen GRE derived scanners (i.e. 1065, 651, 652, 106,1040, 197, etc.) and none of them has had the system memory fail, including the 197 that I have had for 12 yrs. I got this current one busted off of eBay & thought I could fix it by reflashing or resetting perhaps. ..... Also to your point about Uniden, I also agree that the GRE derived scanner line has much better sound than the Uniden scanners. Because I think that my SDS200 that I have had for going on a yr now, sounds like a pile of crap, b/c it sounds like computer synthesized audio that is hard to understand. And oh how it tires me that the Uniden fanboys refuse to admit how bad they sound.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Once you have finally given up I suggest you contact g&g and see about recouping any $ so he could use it for parts. my message #10 here,

Status
Not open for further replies.