• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100P Battery Life

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I purchased the Waveband branded 4100mah battery. It charges in the oval XG-100 charger just fine. However this battery will not fit in any of my other Harris chargers due to the additional "fins" on the side. I've only seen this and the Harris branded Li-Po batteries with the extra "fins".

TDR-94

Last edited:

Teotwaki

There are some other chargers that will charge the Waveband battery, although strangely my Harris 100P charger is not one of them. View attachment 141805View attachment 141806

View attachment 141807

The square charger is the CH-104560-016 REV. J
The other is the VC4000 CH-017231-002. Of course the radio won't fit unless you get creative with a dremel. But at least you can charge a battery on the cheap.

S

Oh, my new favorite topic. :geek:

There are are a lot of the square based desktop Harris tri-chem chargers on Ebay but the pictures can be lacking so key information is not available. You have to count the number of charge contacts and see if the charger can handle batteries for the Jaguar 700p, 7100P etc. Basically radios that the batteries of the 100P will also fit. I've not come to a clear conclusion about the Harris batteries' "chip" that talks to the charger and what the charger will do if the chip is not present.

I like the dremal mod but I think that's only necessary if you want the whole radio to fit in. Otherwise a lone battery should drop in. Also, don't forget to go into RPM Options and select the battery chemistry you are using.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
If I read this thread correctly, the oval Harris chargers don't have issues with charging Waveband/GTS/TAC1 batteries, but some of the square chargers do (charger numbers listed previously)?

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
If I read this thread correctly, the oval Harris chargers don't have issues with charging Waveband/GTS/TAC1 batteries, but some of the square chargers do (charger numbers listed previously)?
No. Basically no Harris charger, regardless of shape, will charge GTS batteries designed for 100P/P7100/P7200. This particular GTS model of battery doesn’t contain the ‘smart chip’ that Harris chargers require. I’ve tried the six bay square (2x3 bays) and the six bay rounded (1x6 bays), and the oval charger and none of them will charge the GTS.

My two, six bay GTS chargers absolutely LOVE the GTS batteries. Likewise, GTS batteries for all other Harris products work great in OEM Harris and L3H chargers.

I really like GTS for my XL200P for instance… charges great on my dual charger from L3H.

-B

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Refer to posts #41 and 42 above. Some of the GTS batteries won't fit into some Harris chargers because of the extra "fin"on the lower side of the battery.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Looking further, I think I'm most interested in the TAC1 4100 battery, which is not the same as the Waveband/GTS. @wa8pyr is it compatible with the oval charger?

merlin

Not at all. It just faults and stops charging.

-B
Been my observation that the smart charger with a dumb battery will only trickle charge, that can take a long time with a depleted 4000 Ma battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

merlin

Refer to posts #41 and 42 above. Some of the GTS batteries won't fit into some Harris chargers because of the extra "fin"on the lower side of the battery.
Yea, an emory board or Dremel can fix that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teotwaki

I am using Battery Universe NiMh batteries, model BU2106, 2700 mAh each. They work fine with these two Harris/MaCom chargers:

VC4000 mobile charger model CH-017231-002
Tri-chemistry desk charger (square) model CH-104560-026

You can't drop the whole radio into the charger but that doesn't matter to me.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The oval charger will likely treat the TAC1/Waveband/Power Products the same, which is to say it will be hit or miss. What it seems is that the charger will charge for awhile but then 'time out' and give a red LED indicator. You can usually remove and re-insert and it will go for awhile after that. I think the capacity is too high and the charger has a timer and when it doesn't see a fully charged battery by then it shuts down.

trido

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have battery not latching in radio?Just bought a used harris battery off ebay.
looks fine .However it just wont click and stay on 100 p.Wont lock in place.
Seller says his battery is fine its my radio.Well my other harris battery locks in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0345_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0345_Original.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Teotwaki

Anyone have battery not latching in radio?Just bought a used harris battery off ebay.
looks fine .However it just wont click and stay on 100 p.Wont lock in place.
Seller says his battery is fine its my radio.Well my other harris battery locks in place.
I have a variety of batteries: 6 new aftermarket NiMh that fit perfectly and 6 Harris OEM Lithium ion and Lithium polymers that vary in fitment.

Used Harris radios may have been dropped and bent the bottom of the frame. Used batteries might have been overcharged and swelled a little. I’ve also noticed that on some batteries the springy plastic tabs vary in thickness, possibly affecting the needed force to lock the battery in. So maybe varying tolerances between manufacturers and their design of the plastic cases.

Later today I’ll look at the Harris batteries in detail and report on my observations.

Teotwaki

Sample of 6 NiMH from Battery universe, 4 OEM LiPoly (China cells) and 3 OEM Li-Ion (Japan calls)

The key difference seems to be the springy plastic tab's thickness. The three with Japanese cells have tabs that are twice as thick at the free swinging end. They are stiffer, harder to compress and harder to unlatch.

Lithium Ions are Harris 12082-0304-01 Dates are all 02-15

Teotwaki

Sample of 6 NiMH from Battery universe, 4 OEM LiPoly (China cells) and 3 OEM Li-Ion (Japan calls)

The key difference seems to be the springy plastic tab's thickness. The three with Japanese cells have tabs that are twice as thick at the free swinging end. They are stiffer, harder to compress and harder to unlatch.

Lithium Ions are Harris 12082-0304-01 Dates are all 02-15
PixIMG_9133.jpegIMG_9132.jpeg