XPR 7550E for DMR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1971

Well... I got one just to test the waters, that was 3 weeks ago..... and now I am on my 7th one: one for each member of the family. Currently in the process of ditching, errr... selling, or donating every other portable radio I owned prior. That is how good these things are. The XPR5550e mobile is also on another league....

While it has some "shortcomings", its single band, no talker alias, the antenna is not SMA, etc... none of those issues has been a problem for me. In fact, even with the stubby 3.75 inch antenna on UHF I am able to talk simplex crystal clear 2 miles out on just 1 watt, in suburban hilly terrain. None of my other radios has ever achieved that.

Radios should have range measured in tens of miles, not tenths of a mile and pack a lot of fancy features to make up for crap range... b/c how good are those fancy functions if the radios can't communicate when you need them the most?

If you need more info, hit me on PM.

PS. I don't work for Motorola.

PS.2. Avoid Anytone at all costs: those radios are utter garbage for anything critical, sans hitting local repeaters for a quick chat. They freeze up, repeatedly, and without warning, they are buggy as heck, features semi-work, plus receivers are far worse, as measured, than what the Gen2 MotoTRBO radios have (XPR7550e, XPR5550e SL7550e)... With Anytone you'll be an eternal beta-tester for features that will never work right. Audio quality sucks compared to the XPR7550e, I don't think I've heard any other digital radio that sounds as good as the XPR7550e with the right profile. Oh, why bash anytone? well, I am the unlucky owner of an AT-578 (collecting dust) x2 Alinco MD5 and I've owned x2 AT-878 (which sucked real bad so I returned them back to Amazon).. Trust me, don't make the same mistakes I made, mislead by post stating "good entry level dmr nonsense" don't waste your money on a piece of crap. Buy once, cry once, or "don't be the guy who has enough money to do things wrong many times, be the guy who has the money to do it right, once"

PS.3 Don't settle for the XPR7550 (non e). There is a significant RX performance improvement between the two radios.

G.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Radios should have range measured in tens of miles, not tenths of a mile and pack a lot of fancy features to make up for crap range... b/c how good are those fancy functions if the radios can't communicate when you need them the most?
IMHO, radios should not be judged based on "range" as that's a measurement which is very dependent on a lot of other conditions that are rarely included in the "range" specifications. To me, output power, which is usually specified, and antenna efficiency, which is rarely specified, are more important than "range".

K9RPL

Well... I got one just to test the waters, that was 3 weeks ago..... and now I am on my 7th one: one for each member of the family. Currently in the process of ditching, errr... selling, or donating every other portable radio I owned prior. That is how good these things are. The XPR5550e mobile is also on another league....

While it has some "shortcomings", its single band, no talker alias, the antenna is not SMA, etc... none of those issues has been a problem for me. In fact, even with the stubby 3.75 inch antenna on UHF I am able to talk simplex crystal clear 2 miles out on just 1 watt, in suburban hilly terrain. None of my other radios has ever achieved that.

If you need more info, hit me on PM.

PS. I don't work for Motorola.

PS.2. Avoid Anytone at all costs: those radios are utter garbage for anything critical, sans hitting local repeaters for a quick chat. They freeze up, repeatedly, and without warning, they are buggy as heck, features semi-work, plus receivers are far worse, as measured, than what the Gen2 MotoTRBO radios have (XPR7550e, XPR5550e SL7550e)... With Anytone you'll be an eternal beta-tester for features that will never work right. Audio quality sucks compared to the XPR7550e, I don't think I've heard any other digital radio that sounds as good as the XPR7550e with the right profile. Oh, why bash anytone? well, I am the unlucky owner of an AT-578 (collecting dust) x2 Alinco MD5 and I've owned x2 AT-878 (which sucked real bad so I returned them back to Amazon).. Trust me, don't make the same mistakes I made, mislead by post stating "good entry level dmr nonsense" don't waste your money on a piece of crap. Buy once, cry once, or "don't be the guy who has enough money to do things wrong many times, be the guy who has the money to do it right, once"

PS.3 Don't settle for the XPR7550 (non e). There is a significant RX performance improvement between the two radios.

G.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 7550. The receive signal performance based on those I've talked to isn't dramatically better on the 7550e vs the 7550. I've had my 7550 since last fall and love it. If a good 7550 comes up I wouldn't have a second thought about buying it. I don't care about the wifi support either.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 7550. The receive signal performance based on those I've talked to isn't dramatically better on the 7550e vs the 7550.
Agreed. When the enhanced radios first came out MSI bosted about the "up to 8% greater range" which as far as I can tell was simply an upgrade to the FEC algorithm and not an actual change to the hardware.

N4KVE

I have both, & have done extensive testing. The RX sensitivity is exactly the same between the e, & the non e. Matter of fact, the only difference seems to be the grey line around the PTT on the e. Both radios use the same FW. OTOH, if someone is looking to buy one, & the price is the same on the used market, get the e. But if the non e is $50-$100 less, get it.

gman1971

IMHO, radios should not be judged based on "range" as that's a measurement which is very dependent on a lot of other conditions that are rarely included in the "range" specifications. To me, output power, which is usually specified, and antenna efficiency, which is rarely specified, are more important than "range".

Both directly related to range, nonetheless... better antenna, more TX power = more range. Exactly. I also like having a receiver that can hear signals when I am stuck in a place where no other radio can pick... that is very important too.

Last edited:

gman1971

I have both, & have done extensive testing. The RX sensitivity is exactly the same between the e, & the non e. Matter of fact, the only difference seems to be the grey line around the PTT on the e. Both radios use the same FW. OTOH, if someone is looking to buy one, & the price is the same on the used market, get the e. But if the non e is $50-$100 less, get it.

Well, I beg to differ, to begin with the brochure, which states a leap in "absolute sensitivity" in DMR. This is corroborated by a field 3-4 dBm RSSI measurable improvement on E models vs non E models, on DMR. Then there is that the E model usually requires a 4 dBm lower number for repeater roaming purposes. Again. Get the E model.

The E vs non E radios are different inside, too, as they both use different versions of Rodinia RX architecture.

If you are in the market for a used radio, why settle for an older model, get the best used radio, especially when the price difference is negligible. Buy once, cry once. We can argue about doing things right once, or doing things wrong many times...

In the end its your decision, I am only sharing JMHO.

G.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have a XPR7550, and it has about 35 contacts programmed in it. Its used on a private ham system, where the users are vetted and invited to partake. Its not connected to any of the big hammy system, and won't ever be either.

When I was still active on DMR-MARC, I didn't have any RID's programmed. I don't use look at the screen, and don't need name and calling. The XPR7550 has one of the most sensitive receivers on the market. I can easily get full audio recovery below -120dBm. Even weaker if I'm in a low/no noise environment.

gman1971

I totally agree with the screen assessment, and coincidentally, I only have a handful of contacts as well...

A couple of my XPR7550e that I have tested still get full audio recovery (DMR) even below -124 dBm. Full audio recovery at anything below -120 dBm is really darn good.

With that said, my XPR6550s can also get good audio recovery at the -120 dBm mark, but the XPR6550 completely stops receiving at the -124dBm mark... while the XPR7550e still produces crystal clear audio. The 7550e, as measured, really loses it at around the -126 dBm mark in low/no noise environment.

My observation with the 7550e is that either you get full crystal clear audio, or you get nothing, you don't have much of a warning before it quits, the only way to know you're nearing the end of range is by using the RSSI readout meter...

G.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
One thing that kept me away from the XPR7550 is the fact that it's not easy to add an external antenna. With my handhelds, I have SMA to UHF and SMA to N adapters and often connect them to the antenna on my car, or to the antenna mounted on top of my tower. There are kludgy ways to adapt a non-7550 antenna, but that kind of turned me off.

I live in the country and using external antennas gives me the range I need when I use one of my handhelds. So I'm surviving with an XPR6550..

N4KVE

One thing that kept me away from the XPR7550 is the fact that it's not easy to add an external antenna. With my handhelds, I have SMA to UHF and SMA to N adapters and often connect them to the antenna on my car, or to the antenna mounted on top of my tower. There are kludgy ways to adapt a non-7550 antenna, but that kind of turned me off.

I live in the country and using external antennas gives me the range I need when I use one of my handhelds. So I'm surviving with an XPR6550..
The 7550IS has always been available, & does come with the SMA antenna connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.