• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR4550 questions

AES-256-Encryption

Based in the US, always nationwide
Let me make this clear, I don't know anything about MOTOTRBO/DMR. First, is the potentiometer for the volume knob supposed to feel loose? it goes halfway like loose, then I feel some clicks. I'm gonna order a new plastic for the radio but I wanna know if I should get a new potentiometer, also, where is the best place to get discontinued parts? I need a new plastic for the back of the device since it's cracked. THANK YOU!

K2NEC

-The 4550 and 6550 both had known iffy pots
-The radio is long EOL, ebay is your best bet for parts

PACNWDude

+1 on the response above. This is "normal" aging for the potentiometers for the XPR4x50 mobile and XPR6xx0 series mobile radios. If you must power them off or change volume often, this will get worse with time (in my use case, it is not an issue).

I find my self buying refurbished XPR4550's as they are about 1/3 the price of the current XPR5550e mobiles, and my end users tend to get into the menu's and mess up the XPR5550e's. We do not need any of the features the XPR5550e added to that of the XPR4550. They act as RoIP link radios across the country, sitting on one specific channel to pass audio.

AES-256-Encryption

Based in the US, always nationwide
+1 on the response above. This is "normal" aging for the potentiometers for the XPR4x50 mobile and XPR6xx0 series mobile radios. If you must power them off or change volume often, this will get worse with time (in my use case, it is not an issue).

I find my self buying refurbished XPR4550's as they are about 1/3 the price of the current XPR5550e mobiles, and my end users tend to get into the menu's and mess up the XPR5550e's. We do not need any of the features the XPR5550e added to that of the XPR4550. They act as RoIP link radios across the country, sitting on one specific channel to pass audio.
well I did pay like $60 for it, I see them selling for 300 which seems way too much. But I got a cable ordered and ill program it and see what I'm gonna do with it.