• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Trunking Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi_Creator

I have been programming an XTS 5000 trunking system. I can't add more than 50 trunking personalities.

Is this a software or feature set (flash code) issue, or have I reached the maximum this hardware will use?

RodStrong

Wow, that's a lot of personalities. Kind of curious as to why one would need so many?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
As you were told elsewhere, talk to your system administrator (if your're actually an authorized user) since it is apparent that you really don't know what your doing.

Last edited:

AES-256

XTS5000 Model 2 or 3 series only allows 20 Trunking Systems, 50 Trunking Personalties and 50 Zone Channel Assignments with a max of 1000 channels. If you need more capacity, you'll need to upgrade to the APX 7000 series and get the 2000 channels.

As mentioned above, if this is for one radio system and you have maxed out the trunking personalties, you do not know what you are doing and need to see the system admin or MSS for programming assistance.

I have been programming an XTS 5000 trunking system. I can't add more than 50 trunking personalities.

Is this a software or feature set (flash code) issue, or have I reached the maximum this hardware will use?

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
XTS5000 Model 2 or 3 series only allows 20 Trunking Systems, 50 Trunking Personalties and 50 Zone Channel Assignments with a max of 1000 channels. If you need more capacity, you'll need to upgrade to the APX 7000 series and get the 2000 channels.

Guess I should return my 5k to Motorola then, seeing as it does 2048 channels :)

XTS3000

Have a normal FPP flashcode, but it's my XTS4000 that has 2048 channels.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
How so?????? /\/\'s website and all current literature still say 1000.

Their literature also says you can't have trunking and FPP in the same radio, but there's a crap-load of radios out there (just look in the for sale sections) that have them.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
What is your Falshcode, All F's?

Channel capacity has nothing to do with Flashcode. Flashcode refers to specific features such as FPP, SmartZone, Encryption, etc... The number of channels the radio is capable of is a firmware/core feature set that isn't modifiable with a Flashcode upgrade. The radio has to be ordered that way from Motorola. Just the same as when the 5000 originally came out, it supported 832 channels, but with a firmware upgrade it then was capable of 1024.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Their literature also says you can't have trunking and FPP in the same radio, but there's a crap-load of radios out there (just look in the for sale sections) that have them.

Only for firmware ver. 9 and below though right? So what you're saying is that you have a super secret squirrel radio then?!

AES-256

Channel capacity has nothing to do with Flashcode. Flashcode refers to specific features such as FPP, SmartZone, Encryption, etc... The number of channels the radio is capable of is a firmware/core feature set that isn't modifiable with a Flashcode upgrade. The radio has to be ordered that way from Motorola. Just the same as when the 5000 originally came out, it supported 832 channels, but with a firmware upgrade it then was capable of 1024.

Actually it does, the point being is that if you want more talkgroups then 1000, you have to lose some features to do it. That's why I was asking what your Falshcode is. If I wanted more out of my 540008-000482-4 radio, something needs to be dropped according to Plantation.

The XTS5000 came out with 512 talkgroup capacity and later firmware upgrades pushed the 800 and 1000 talkgroup limits.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
My radio doesn't have a Falshcode, it has a Flashcode. Plantation tells you a lot of things that are likely not true. Options enabled by flashcode have /nothing/ to do with anything else. The flashcode is just a logical "switch" that tells the radio what features it is allowed to access. Every feature the radio will ever be capable of is already included in the firmware, the flashcode is just a key that unlocks various features. That is, a 5k flashed for conventional analog only is /capable/ of every feature including P25 and trunking, it is just the flashcode that prevents it from working.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Only for firmware ver. 9 and below though right? So what you're saying is that you have a super secret squirrel radio then?!

No, I have firmware 15 and it works just fine with both. My radio was purchased as is on eBay - no tweaking done by me or anyone else I know (heck, can you even do that with the 5k series??)

AES-256

My radio doesn't have a Falshcode, it has a Flashcode. Plantation tells you a lot of things that are likely not true. Options enabled by flashcode have /nothing/ to do with anything else. The flashcode is just a logical "switch" that tells the radio what features it is allowed to access. Every feature the radio will ever be capable of is already included in the firmware, the flashcode is just a key that unlocks various features. That is, a 5k flashed for conventional analog only is /capable/ of every feature including P25 and trunking, it is just the flashcode that prevents it from working.

You got me on spell check, and yes the magical dongle turns on and off what options you pay for.

So when I ask for 30 Trunking Systems, 70 Trunking Personalties and 70 Zone Channel Assignments and the Plantation engineers say you have to lose an feature to get the added capacity due to the 8 meg of memory, am I suppose to say " we'll there are people buying XTS 5000 radios with more capacity off of Ebay" ? We are dealing the with highest level in the cooperation.

Give me a name of who to contact at Motorola other then David Klein, because I would like to save 20 million on replacement subscribers and not have to switch over to a APX 7000.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I don't know anybody inside Motorola, so I can't help you with a hook up sorry. All I know is that when I bought my radio, it came like this. I also have a friend who bought an XTS2500 with 2048 modes, FPP, and firmware 15, straight from eBay. If I recall correctly, I was under the impression that you couldn't have more than 50 personalities regardless of how many modes the radio is capable of. That would not meet your requirement of 70 personalities, so your contact is correct in saying you'd need to go with an APX radio. That's a hard-coded limit just like the number of channels allowed in a scan list, or the number of MPL entries allowed, etc...

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I don't know anybody inside Motorola, so I can't help you with a hook up sorry. All I know is that when I bought my radio, it came like this. I also have a friend who bought an XTS2500 with 2048 modes, FPP, and firmware 15, straight from eBay.
The keyword being ebay here. The radio has been modified (by a 3rd party) to extend the channels by someone looking to make some extra money over the normal radios on ebay. It's not a legit upgrade.

The proper bits may translate out to 2k+ but for some reason Motorola has never officially supported it; could be a reason for that.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The keyword being ebay here. The radio has been modified (by a 3rd party) to extend the channels by someone looking to make some extra money over the normal radios on ebay. It's not a legit upgrade.

The proper bits may translate out to 2k+ but for some reason Motorola has never officially supported it; could be a reason for that.

Probably because they want to push the APX?

Status
Not open for further replies.