Yupiteru MVT-7100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forly192

I am considering purchasing the Yupi receiver. It seems to come highly recommended by a lot of people who monitor the civil airband and it's known for its great sensitivity.

My question is, how about selectivity? Is it great, better than what a dedicated aviation transceiver's for example?

All I care about is reception. Programming and ease of use are of secondary importance to me.

And if it's not, can the interference from nearby bands like FM broadcast and pagers be easily mitigated and overcome with a notch filter and a bandpass filter and maybe even an inline low noise amplifier?

Thanks.

PS - If anyone has the IC-R6 or the Uniden 125AT, how does the Yupi compare?

prcguy

Its probably the best hand held receiver for what you want to hear. I've monitored lots of VHF/UHF air, public service and amateur on my 7100 and never had a peep of interference.

I don't have an R6 or uniden but I can say it is more sensitive and better than an AOR AR8200MKIII on VHF and UHF air band. It also receives a whole lot better than a Bendix/King KX99 air band hand held.

Just be aware its an older radio and will probably need the memory capacitor replaced and a TCXO tweak, but both are fairly easy.
prcguy

I am considering purchasing the Yupi receiver. It seems to come highly recommended by a lot of people who monitor the civil airband and it's known for its great sensitivity.

My question is, how about selectivity? Is it great, better than what a dedicated aviation transceiver's for example?

All I care about is reception. Programming and ease of use are of secondary importance to me.

And if it's not, can the interference from nearby bands like FM broadcast and pagers be easily mitigated and overcome with a notch filter and a bandpass filter and maybe even an inline low noise amplifier?

Thanks.

PS - If anyone has the IC-R6 or the Uniden 125AT, how does the Yupi compare?

questnz

Get Yupi without any hesitation. Great receiver, easy to program. There is nothing bad we can say about Yupiteru 7100. Obvious due to older technology it don't have computer programming or Close Call thingo.
But reception is second to none.

WB9RXJ

Premium Subscriber
I had a BANDER.com optimized Yupi....

....and sold it and wished I never had. I was short on cash and there was another received I wanted so I sold it. Big mistake. I have wanted to try and buy it back from the person I sold it to but he's deceased and I have no way of locating it. If you buy one, hang on to it.

Forly192

It's that good, eh?

I recently purchased an icom air and portable and I'm really disappointed. My Yaesu VX-7R did a better job.

Out of curiosity, how does the Yupi handle out of band interference and birdies? I read reviews on wham of people complaining about frequency drift and birdies that make listening to certain frequencies in the air and useless.

What do you guys think about those claims?

Forly192

....and sold it and wished I never had. I was short on cash and there was another received I wanted so I sold it. Big mistake. I have wanted to try and buy it back from the person I sold it to but he's deceased and I have no way of locating it. If you buy one, hang on to it.

Can you share more about this? What's a Bander.com optimized Yupi? If I need to tweak or replace parts, I'd probably prefer a pro shop to do it.

Forly192

My iPhone auto corrected some words in my other post, so I'm posting this one to fix some errors.

I recently purchased an icom airband portable and I'm really disappointed. My Yaesu VX-7R did a better job on the same band.

Out of curiosity, how does the Yupi handle out of band interference and birdies? I read reviews on eham of people complaining about frequency drift and birdies that make listening to certain frequencies in the airband useless.

What do you guys think about those claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.