New 396XT 1.11.01 Firmware Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

Once again:

What is Changed by This Update?

This update improves performance on APCO Project P25 sites operating using Linear Simulcast Modulation (LSM)

That doesn't provide much information.

How is performance improved? Is the decode error rate supposed to improve? Or is the audio supposed to improve despite decode errors?

Should the P25 Mode and level settings be applied? Or is the improvement in this release dependent on Auto threshold adjustment?

W9NES

UPMan, How about a update like the version 1.11.01 for the Uniden 996T and the 396T along with the Uniden 796D? This would help a lot of us out in Metro Indianapolis/Marion County who monitor IDPS(MECA) Could you please advise on this UPMan? Thank You.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Much easier to update. Far less steps thtn the previous updater.I see the 996XT is in the drop down menu, but no update YET. Hope this helps the Starcom system in Chicago...thank you.

Was out today and gave the new update a good tryout. Unfortunately I can't say I hear any improvement on the Illinois Starcom 21 System (Site 102.....774Mhz. control channel). Traveled on Interstate 55 to Interstate 94 and still expierienced the garble, Finding Control Channel etc. that I previously had. Oh well.....thanks for trying Uniden.

W6KRU

Why not update your scanner and try it like the other folks are doing?

I updated about 6 hours ago and have been trying it since then. I haven't reached any conclusions so far. I was hoping Paul would provide information on the objective of this update. A simple answer to the questions in my post will suffice.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm noticing a HUGE improvement in the Louisville MetroSafe simulcast system the garble is pretty much gone! Doing a side by side comparison with my 996XT it's like daylight and darkness.

I did do some tinkering with the P25 Adjust Mode and P25 Adjust Level.

The scanner is sitting beside my fire portable radio and there is minimal difference in the audio.

Hopefully there will be the 996XT update real soon. . .

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
UPMan, How about a update like the version 1.11.01 for the Uniden 996T and the 396T along with the Uniden 796D? This would help a lot of us out in Metro Indianapolis/Marion County who monitor IDPS(MECA) Could you please advise on this UPMan? Thank You.

That's not going to happen. Support for those models ended in 2009 when the XT models were introduced to replace them.

W9NES

There are no CURRENT Updates for the Uniden 396T, 996T, and the 796D at this time. We do have the same problem with IDPS (MECA) I have UPDATED all three scanners and was woundering if UPMAN was going to come out with a FIX like he did for the HomePatrol and the 396XT along with the 996XT. Would like to hear from UPMAN on this if possible.Thank You fxdscon.

mule1075

Feed Provider
There are no CURRENT Updates for the Uniden 396T, 996T, and the 796D at this time. We do have the same problem with IDPS (MECA) I have UPDATED all three scanners and was woundering if UPMAN was going to come out with a FIX like he did for the HomePatrol and the 396XT along with the 996XT. Would like to hear from UPMAN on this if possible.Thank You fxdscon.

As Chauffeur6 stated it is not gonna happen.

ve3zo

Great job on the firmware update. It was simple to install and there is a noticeable difference on the MPSCS ( specifically Detroit, MI ) system, on both my HP-1 and 396xt.

Thanks UPMan and Uniden!

kayleesdad

i'll roll with better as a first impression. this one p25 site was pretty bad, now its better. side by side, the xt struggles with the same difficult coms the psr800 struggles with, sometimes one slightly better than the other.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
On my 396XT I have found it helps a little but nothing to write home about I am probably receiving about 60-75% of the comms I was missing but there is still alot that drop out and garble. Maybe playing with the hidden P25 settings will help. I will play with it for a couple days and post my results. Many thanks to Uniden and UPMan for their work on the firmware. Now if we could just get one get one for the 996XT series that cleans up some of the audio that would be great. I am really getting sick of Yagi's.

Bob

W9NES

It would be nice to hear ***direct from UPMan on this. Speculation that something will not be done or cannot be done is not a answer. The Uniden 396T and the 996T are not old in any way. The Uniden 796D is able to work on P-25 systems with a 9600 Baud rate. Will wait to hear from UPMan on this issue. The 396T and the 996T are doing the same thing. If a FIX can be put out for the 396XT and 996XT then a fix could be issued to fix the problems with the 396T,996T, and the 796D.Can we give UPMan a chance to respond on this instead of answering for him. Thank You.

W6KRU

If I use the decode err rate as the criteria for judging decode performance, my 396T still outperforms my 396XT. Using the sound of the audio to judge them (which isn't very precise), the 396T is still the winner but by a smaller amount.

scannerowner

It worked on a Simulcast System about 30 miles away from me, it seems like there's less garble than before. Before the update it wasn't bad, but now it's better than that! Less background noise too, not sure about what anyone else thinks though.

ginky4

I did my firmware update on my BCD396XT about 3 hours ago to 1.11.01. I had no complications at all. It was nice that everything was included in one zipped file. I am in Baltimore County Maryland where our P25 digital trunking system does simulcasting from several different towers. I have not had any garbled audio in the last 3 hours since I have been listening with the new firmware update. The audio is crystal clear. Nice job UPMan!

ginky4

UPMan, If you don't mind me asking. Would there be anyway in a future update to add a delay feature so that you could put a delay on a single TGID without affecting all the other TGIDs on the same bank?

I would like to have a 3 to 5 second delay on just my Main Fire Dispatch TGID. I am not sure if this type of thing could be accomplished in a firmware update or not. Looking forward to your response.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
I uninstalled all previous versions and no matter what I did I couldn't get this to work, but Finally after restarting my laptop it worked!
so before you pull all your hair out, scream and shout and scare the wife and kids! HEE! HEE! WHOOOO!
try a reboot!

anyway it's in there,
and for those who may not know this, if you want to check your 396xt to see if it's in yours, follow these steps:

press MENU
scroll to SETTINGS
press "Eyes" button (or press down on the sel/vol/sql dial)
scroll to "See Scanner Info"
scroll to "Firmware Version"

there you should see your current Firmware Version.
Hope this helps.

now to see if it made a difference!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.