Everything NYPD encryption.

FallenAnjel

This won't stop those who really want to listen, digital modes have a major vulnerability, If the radio detects a bad quality control channel, it falls backs to regular digital non encrypted so that the communications can still hold, Knowing this all one needs to do if near a cop car in constant communications with control channel, All you need to know is the frequencies for your area and use a Hackrf sdr to transmit *noise* on the side bands, This creates a semi interference zone that can go out about 100 meters or so, The police does not notice a loss of communication quality, This is weak signal and won't wipe out the control channel but is just enough to locally make their radios digital encryption mode to off for the duration of the conversation as the system detects possible high packet loss and goes to fail safe mode, the channel is in the clear, So all you need to do is listen in locally with another rtl sdr dongle and just decode the digital mode and you hear the conversation.
You go right ahead and do that and let me know how that goes for you.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I overheard a conversation that sense they are deploying APX Next radios they will be going lmr over lte in the future

APX Next and APX900's are among the units being deployed. There's also plenty of other perfectly good APX portables and P25 compatible Vertex's that will just need a codeplug update but will remain in service. There is currently no indication of any kind that NYPD has plans for widespread LMR over LTE usage.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Listing encrypted frequencies in the database is for identification purposes, which makes perfect logical sense.

Exactly, and that is my humble intent in this thread and my submissions. As @GTR8000 can attest to being a DB Admin, my biggest interest in this hobby is the hunt. I believe in the RadioReference ideology of identify, report, and catalogue. Same for my brother. We have done so for the benefit of the database in countless states, and multiple countries. I believe that even if a frequency, talkgroup, or entire system is unmonitorable for any reason at all, it should be catalogued for the benefit of the collective knowledge of the hobby.

Knowledge which should be factual, and not speculation or inference by the way. Just sayin'....

So back to the show since more of Brooklyn sees changes soon...

The Magnificent
Premium Subscriber
Not common but there are departments that went encrypted and decided to revert back to non E.
Honestly, I see something along these lines happening to here because of the way the NYPD is when it comes to radios. 95% of the MOS (civilian / uniformed) with radios are mentally handicapped when it comes to using radios, screaming into the radio and stepping over one another when a job comes over or a 10-13/10-85 goes over. P25 can work but they’d need an “NYPD dummy test” version to be done first and they’d need to teach the cops proper radio etiquette if they expect this to work. I see the cops being their own worst enemies on this transition more so than unauthorized transmissions 🤣. God forbid they went the trunking route instead of conventional, it’d be much much worst, for example, Transit Bureau already struggles with transmissions now so imagine then.

A couple of channels I see struggling with this transition are gonna be the Transit Bureau units for example because they have a habit of keying up on top of each other nonstop (especially in Manhattan South). I also see ANY AND ALL Traffic channels (CW 3, CW TED, Boro) for obvious reasons, and if you don’t understand why, go sit and listen to the cringe etiquette there. And lastly busy channels such as A-house precincts and CW 1 which broadcasts pretty frequently.