396XT not detected by ARC XT-Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4UHJ

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to re-program my 396XT using the latest ARC XT Pro software. I've done it dozens of times before. But now, the software is not detecting the radio. When I try to "Read" or Write" to the radio, I get a message that no radio is detected. Then when I close the error window, the radio beeps. (Also, If the radio is in "hold" mode, it beeps and comes out of hold mode). So the software IS doing something with the radio, yet it says no radio is detected! ALL of the parameters, baud rate, ports, are correct, and I have even tried all the various values as well. Could a short fall the radio experienced recently have damaged the small connection on the radio or internal circuit? The radio itself works fine, with no aparent damage. Do I risk a master reset of the radio and lose all my data? Should I send it somewhere for repair? Anyone else experience this? Thanks!!!

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
First thing i would try is a different software program ,freescan .
If radio works with freescan then you know there is not a problem with the scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Is your control channel output on? That's a very common cause of this issue. Also if you are using a USB converter, check your COM ports to see that your driver is still available where you think it's supposed to be...best regards...Mike

garys

Premium Subscriber
Is your control channel output on? That's a very common cause of this issue. Also if you are using a USB converter, check your COM ports to see that your driver is still available where you think it's supposed to be...best regards...Mike

This. Also try updating the drivers for the USB adapter. A problem where the software fails to connect to the scanner is likely to be a driver problem, not a scanner or software problem. Especially if you've successfully connected before.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
1 - Make sure all your USB drivers are updated and that your USB adapter has the right software installed for usage.

2 - Plug in your USB device to your USB port. In your Control Panel (I'm assuming you are running Windows) click on the system icon. On the hardware tab on the system screen, click the box that says 'Device Manager". Look for the heading "ports" in the screen, click the "plus sign" box next to it and you'll see all your ports. Look to see what COM port number your USB adapter is on. Don't close the screen, but write down the COM port number (COM1, COM2, COM3, ect). Go into your ARC program and the menu for BCD396XT (i think I got that right) select what ever says "Communication Setup". Here you will be able to either auto detect the USB port or manually select which COM port the USB adapter is on.

Also another hint, sometimes your USB ports will use different COM ports. Make sure you always use the adapter in the same USB port that you have your software hooked up to.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
I had a weird occurrence today. Im running XT-pro with my 396xt, and today while reading, first I got the message that the scanner wasn't connected, then the software crashed. So I reopened the software, went to communication setup, ran the auto detect scanner, it worked. This only happened to me this one time.
As far as I know there hasn't been any updated device driver for the usb plug in awhile.

george

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I'd certainly be trying other software like BCTools and Freescan to see if they work. At least you could then rule out a damaged scanner, cable etc.

I had problems with BCTools with my 396T. It wouldn't recognize the scanner no matter what settings I used. ARC396Pro & Freescan both worked fine.

There are so many combinations of settings that can upset the workings.

I use ARCXTPRO exclusively now as it recognised my 396XT scanner straight away and is working great so far.

Never did get BCTools to work.

KF4UHJ

Premium Subscriber
Control Channel Output is on. No change. Virtual Control DOES work... volume, squelch, hold, scan, light, etc... but no frequency, group, or any data appears. Virtual screen reads "waiting for data" yet I can control the scanner. Wierd! Still cannot read or write to the scanner...."no scanner detected" message pops up. I tried a master reset of the scanner.... no luck, so now I have nothing on my scanner! (but do have the date files on my computer) HELP! I'll try a different program next, but may need to send it in for service. Anyone know where? Thanks!

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried Freescan or any other control software ?

(Whoops! Sorry, I see you are about to do that).

Freescan is probably the most reliable. Let us know how you go.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

KF4UHJ

Premium Subscriber
PROBLEM SOLVED.....YEAAAAA!!!!!! Turns out my Prolific driver was current....but corrupted. Went to the Prolific site and re-downloaded it.... then clicked on "repair" in the dialog box during the install. Everything is now loaded back into my 396 XT! It may have been corrupted by another cable and Motorola RSS I purchased to program an XTS5000 I just purchased.... which will probably mean I'll have to go through all this again at some point! Ugh!!! But many thanks to all for helping me out!

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear. ! :)

Bthway, I like and use ARCXT Pro too. Tried em all and I like it the best.

n2vk

Premium Subscriber
ARC XT Volume control problem

I am using ARC XT Pro on a Asus laptop, running windows 8, with my Uniden BCD 396 XT. I couldn’t get the Dynex USB to serial cable adapter(From Best Buy, Dynex™ - 16" USB PDA/Serial Adapter Cable Model: DX-UBDB9 SKU: 7135664) to work. The chipset is from Prolific, so I went to their site and downloaded the latest driver-still didn’t work. My local Radio Shack had this adapter, Gigaware® 6-ft. USB-A to Serial Cable, Model: 26-949**|* Catalog #: 26-949, and it worked immediately after plugging it in. ARC XT Pro works perfectly with one exception: the volume slider in the Virtual Control window, in the course of several minutes, gradually moves to the left, thereby shutting off the volume. Is anyone else having this problem?

captclint

Mentor
ARC XT Pro works perfectly with one exception: the volume slider in the Virtual Control window, in the course of several minutes, gradually moves to the left, thereby shutting off the volume. Is anyone else having this problem?
I just experienced similar issue with just released Build 4. It is not consistent, so I am trying to compile circumstances, but one case was just after a download, it went to 0. In another case, it probably did exactly what you describe. In another, the squelch went to 0, but I can't say what may have caused it. It just did that(squelch to 0) again. It is not gradual. I am using Win XP, so I don't think this is a windows 8 issue. BTW, I always run the virtual window fully minimized to the very inconspicuous window, which I think is the best of any software.
If anyone else is having this problem, I new thread with different subject should be started.

Last edited:

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
396t & 996xt

Well I've just started to have the same problem.
I downloaded the update version of Butel ARC XT-PRO 1.8 Build 4 and for some reason my laptop will not communicate with my scanner.
Butel says it's not their fault - Windows 7 won't admit they changed anything - Gigaware USB-Serial Controller cable people want $$$ to ask them a question.
I've talked with others who say it's a driver problem.
I've looked and have tried to download a new driver, but they all want to sell you their scan problem software and a bunch of other stuff instead of just letting you download the driver.

I too have been able to reprogram my scanner for years ... but all of a sudden everything has shut down ... both my 396T & 996XT.

I've checked on a friend's computer using the 9 pin adapter to the uniden and it works fine. (old software)
It's when I use the USB port ... I have a problem.

If anyone knows where to D/L just the current driver that would be appreciated.
Otherwise I might have to change software and try something else.
(I like the Butel because it talks with RadioReference ... do any of the other programs?)

I am trying to re-program my 396XT using the latest ARC XT Pro software. I've done it dozens of times before. But now, the software is not detecting the radio. When I try to "Read" or Write" to the radio, I get a message that no radio is detected. Then when I close the error window, the radio beeps. (Also, If the radio is in "hold" mode, it beeps and comes out of hold mode). So the software IS doing something with the radio, yet it says no radio is detected! ALL of the parameters, baud rate, ports, are correct, and I have even tried all the various values as well. Could a short fall the radio experienced recently have damaged the small connection on the radio or internal circuit? The radio itself works fine, with no aparent damage. Do I risk a master reset of the radio and lose all my data? Should I send it somewhere for repair? Anyone else experience this? Thanks!!!

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Here's the latest I've received reference the problem:

MICROSOFT SECURITY REMOVING AND NOT LETTING YOU INSTALL DRIVERS FOR PROGRAMMING CABLE , SO FAR NO FIX

RonnieUSA

Well I've just started to have the same problem.
I downloaded the update version of Butel ARC XT-PRO 1.8 Build 4 and for some reason my laptop will not communicate with my scanner.
Butel says it's not their fault - Windows 7 won't admit they changed anything - Gigaware USB-Serial Controller cable people want $$$ to ask them a question.
I've talked with others who say it's a driver problem.
I've looked and have tried to download a new driver, but they all want to sell you their scan problem software and a bunch of other stuff instead of just letting you download the driver.

I too have been able to reprogram my scanner for years ... but all of a sudden everything has shut down ... both my 396T & 996XT.

I've checked on a friend's computer using the 9 pin adapter to the uniden and it works fine. (old software)
It's when I use the USB port ... I have a problem.

If anyone knows where to D/L just the current driver that would be appreciated.
Otherwise I might have to change software and try something else.
(I like the Butel because it talks with RadioReference ... do any of the other programs?)

This might help You. >> Microsoft Update Catalog

Download link for your drivers, for your cable from Microsoft.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
396T & 996XT Program Cable

Thanks to all who are trying to help fix this problem.
I put the driver file into my windows system32 folder ... hope that is all I had to do?

What I have is the following:
On my 996XT I have theGigaware-SUB cable attached to my Uniden scanner cable.
I've plugged the cable into the USB port and also into the front of the scanner.
The Baud Rate is set on 115200 bps
On my computer under Device Managerit says the Gigaware-USB cable is on Comm 5
(Does that mean the computer is talking to the cable? and the problem is not in the Butel software or Windows 7 software?)
If I click on AutoDetect Scanner it pauses then says "Software has not detected your scanner"
I have changed Uniden cables (9 pin to the front port connector cable)
I hate to go buy another USB-Serial Controller Cable ... but has is come down to that?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in Advance

RonnieUSA

I've plugged the cable into the USB port and also into the front of the scanner.
The Baud Rate is set on 115200 bps
On my computer under Device Managerit says the Gigaware-USB cable is on Comm 5
(Does that mean the computer is talking to the cable?
Yes
Com port 5 is what windows is detecting the cable on that port.
May be a bad cable.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
996XT USB Cable

Well I went out and bought another $50 cable ...

Plugged it in ... the Device Manager says my new Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM7)
So I take it's not the computer or the Windows 7 software ???

Like I said I tried another Uniden cable from the 9 pin (serial connection) to the Front port on my BCD996XT

I've double checked the baud rate
Still no connection with the scanner.
I have restarted the laptop a few times ... with the radio on & off but no difference.
I even changed USB ports ... the Device Manager recognizes the change ... but still won't connect.

As soon as I click on the button ... it starts out with the words (not responding) then it goes out.
When I try the "AutoDetect Scanner" ... it seems like it takes forever before the error msg comes back ...

Any more suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.