A full featured scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Add a tow hitch, wheels (dualies?) and electric brakes. This thing's gonna be huge.

N

N_Jay

I've noticed a few of you have been tossing around ideas that my/our project might not work. The witepaper was a simple one I tossed together.. it was NOT intended to be the final version. I just needed to nail down some basics..

I've been working with a RR.com member, Mike_GD, from Post #68 of discussing features, etc. When we get our focus narrowed down some there will be a new version of the whitepaper.

Anyone wish to help out development and testing? Please email me. I need some more team members.

Greg

Sorry,
Please don't count me in the group "tossing around ideas that my/our project MIGHT not work".
I prefer to be known as the one throwing darts right into the center of the "it won't work" target.

N

N_Jay

I'm currently predicting that the scanner will use the following one of the band plans in the 25-1300MHZ segment. NOTE: This is a TENTATIVE band plan.

Here is one plan:

29 - 54 MHz ; 108.00 - 136.975 MHz ; 137 - 174 MHz ; 406 - 512MHz ; 806 - 823.9375 MHz ; 851 - 868.9375 MHz ; 896.1125 - 956MHz

I'll figure out what the other plan might be.

Greg

Why?:confused:

N

N_Jay

What unique value add feature do you think you can add in order to have a competitive advantage, that will not price you out of the market, that the remaining scanners don't have or could not add easily?

You will be at a cost and experience disadvantage, in a market that has shown it has little room for expansion.

When was the last time a new entrant made it in this market?

What was the last time a market leader left or was absorbed?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
What unique value add feature do you think you can add in order to have a competitive advantage, that will not price you out of the market, that the remaining scanners don't have or could not add easily?

You will be at a cost and experience disadvantage, in a market that has shown it has little room for expansion.

When was the last time a new entrant made it in this market?

What was the last time a market leader left or was absorbed?

Maybe the other manufacturers could easily add, bluetooth, SD cards, and a remote control but I have not yet seen any move to do so.

N

N_Jay

Maybe the other manufacturers could easily add, bluetooth, SD cards, and a remote control but I have not yet seen any move to do so.

Yes they could (at a cost).

Or maybe they have already done the analysis as to the cost and the market value return?

So how are you going to maintain a place in a very small the market with a higher priced unit?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
So how are you going to maintain a place in a very small the market with a higher priced unit?

Well I guess your first step should be a market study.......wait, that's what he has taken the first steps of here, an on-line, open type of market study. That will be up to him to use the info wisely and and would probably be adviseable to do more formal, prefessional market studies too. Not that market studies are any gaurantee. I am sure many well intentioned products that failed had positive market studies, if Greg wants to put it to market then that is his right to take that risk.

But if it is unique, then it will not be priced higher, it will be the only one on the market. I may be higher than similar items.

N

N_Jay

Well I guess your first step should be a market study.......wait, that's what he has taken the first steps of here, an on-line, open type of market study. That will be up to him to use the info wisely and and would probably be adviseable to do more formal, prefessional market studies too. Not that market studies are any gaurantee. I am sure many well intentioned products that failed had positive market studies, if Greg wants to put it to market then that is his right to take that risk.

But if it is unique, then it will not be priced higher, it will be the only one on the market. I may be higher than similar items.

Well I guess your first step should be a market study.......wait, that's what he has taken the first steps of here, an on-line, open type of market study.
No, more like a "brainstorming session".

That will be up to him to use the info wisely and and would probably be adviseable to do more formal, prefessional market studies too.
Yes, most certainly. There goes the next $100,000.

Not that market studies are any gaurantee. I am sure many well intentioned products that failed had positive market studies,
Yep, especially when the person doing the study gets too excited about the possibilities.
A detached and impartial review is best.

if Greg wants to put it to market then that is his right to take that risk.
And any investors.

Nope, it will compete with all "alternatives" for the consumers dollars.

It will compete most directly with the closest alternatives.

You are presupposing the creation of a new market segment. I do not feel that is the correct assessment in this case.

Here is an example of why not.

How big do you think the market is of people who have looked at the current selection of scanners on the market and NOT purchased only for want of one of the mentioned (reasonable) features? (I do not include the "impossible wants like OpenSky, and Encryption breaking)

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Hi all!
I am doing the R&D for designing and building a desktop/base scanner. I would like your input into what to include in the design.......... Greg

Sorry,
Please don't count me in the group "tossing around ideas that my/our project MIGHT not work".
I prefer to be known as the one throwing darts right into the center of the "it won't work" target.
I guess I don't understand, Greg asked for ideas on what to include in the propsed product, not for personal opinions on whether it will market or not. If he choses to spend his and other peoples money on development and loses it all, then you obvioulsy won't be out one red cent, let him continue the "brainstorming session" in peace.

N

N_Jay

Yes, I guess you don't understand.

I said:
Sorry,
In response to an earlier post by gbowne1

You asked:
I answered and we went back and forth clarifying my position,

. . . and then you came back with:
I guess I don't understand, Greg asked for ideas on what to include in the propsed product, not for personal opinions on whether it will market or not. If he choses to spend his and other peoples money on development and loses it all, then you obvioulsy won't be out one red cent, let him continue the "brainstorming session" in peace.

So your point was??

gbowne1

We all know your objections.. N_Jay. I'll now consider this thread closed. Could a mod. close the thread, please? Thank you to everyone who expressed their opinions.

Greg

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed a few of you have been tossing around ideas that my/our project might not work. The witepaper was a simple one I tossed together.. it was NOT intended to be the final version. I just needed to nail down some basics..

I've been working with a RR.com member, Mike_GD, from Post #68 of discussing features, etc. When we get our focus narrowed down some there will be a new version of the whitepaper.

Anyone wish to help out development and testing? Please email me. I need some more team members.

Greg

Sorry,

Yes, I guess you don't understand.

I said:
In response to an earlier post by gbowne1

You asked:
I answered and we went back and forth clarifying my position,

. . . and then you came back with:

So your point was??

Although Greg did not specify that he was refering to you in relation to those tossing around ideas that it will not work, if the shoe fits wear it. I have seen nothing but neagtivity from your part, which he did not ask for, he was looking for ideas of features to add and people to asssit. You have done neither.

N

N_Jay

Although Greg did not specify that he was refering to you in relation to those tossing around ideas that it will not work, if the shoe fits wear it. I have seen nothing but neagtivity from your part, which he did not ask for, he was looking for ideas of features to add and people to asssit. You have done neither.

Yes, I saw that the shoe fit, hence my comment.:wink:

If you did not want to delve in deeper, then WHY did you bother asking "why"?:confused:

Maybe you were just trolling for a few more comments to justify your "moral outrage", so to speak.:roll:

Either way, it is no skin off my back.

Maybe some of my comments will help him think through the process.:wink::wink:

Maybe not.:cool:

slicerwizard

From what I have seen so far, I would have to agree with you.

I have been asked privately to add my input to this project, but for now, I choose to respectfully decline.

N

N_Jay

From what I have seen so far, I would have to agree with you.

I have been asked privately to add my input to this project, but for now, I choose to respectfully decline.

While I am fairly sure I am just being realistic, it does seem that some here think I am being unneccessarily cynical.

My posts (and the responses to those posts) speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.