A full featured scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejyd

How about a PC Interface

How about setting it up with a full PC interface so you can use your PC to control the scanner - or really out on a limb here - make your scanner a "black box" that relys on your PC for the controls, readout, etc.

I know that wouldn't work for a mobile application - unless you hooked it up to a laptop?

n5ims

Since we're asking for everything here, how about this as well.

Option for multiple receivers to listen to multiple talkgroups and/or channels at once. The audio mixer would allow for full spacial positioning (left, right, front, rear, center speakers) with ability to move the sound around.

Something like this possibly:
PD dispatch right front channel
PD ops right rear channel
PD tac equal parts right front & right rear (sounds like it's right next to you on your right side)
FD ops left rear channel
FD dispatch left front channel

gbowne1

Hmmm.. interesting thoughts N5IMS.

There will be PC control, but not to that extent. There will still be front panel displays, controls, etc.

Remember that we're talking about a desktop and/or rackmount unit.

I have just been given word that a company here in the US is willing to build us whatever desktop case we chose to use

I checked today, and it looks like the work envelope of my PCB machine is 36"x48". The smallest board I could make with it is 1"x1".

Greg

gbowne1

D-Star? What freqs?

Also an update:

I partially finished the design white paper. I'll attach it here.

Attachments

• fullfeaturedscanner.doc
    29 KB · Views: 289

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Are there any specific software features you all would like, as for control, updating, programming, logging, etc.?

Ability to put up a feed as easy as you can with Pro-Scan but that people could listen to without proprietery software. They could just use wimamp or something to listen. Pro-scan has all the ID's etc transmitted in the stream and is tres easy to get going. But if you do use the proprietery software you can control it remotely, over IP.

signguy10

Maby the different LED features like on the pro-106? The color changes based on what talkgroup is hit. Also, sound alerts and fire tone out. I like the banks, but need more than 10.

Maby a built in MP3 player or something in the mobiles? haha.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
Maby the different LED features like on the pro-106? The color changes based on what talkgroup is hit. Also, sound alerts and fire tone out. I like the banks, but need more than 10.

Maby a built in MP3 player or something in the mobiles? haha.

Anybody that likes banks hasn't used a DMA scanner. I exaggerate slightly. :p

signguy10

Well, I meant to have it like the 106. It has the different systems and the multiple banks. But each system doesn't have their own banks, they run together off the 20 banks. Thats kinda what i meant.

N

N_Jay

The poster hims under his breath:

"Dream on, dream on, dream on,
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream on, dream on, dream on,
And dream until your dream comes true
Dream on, dream on, dream on, dream on
Dream on, dream on, dream on, aaaaahhhhhh...

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away
Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away"

(The Poster here by declares the partial lyrics in this post are the equivalent of singing the song to myself, and not publication or distribution, and thereby falls under "Fair Use")

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

OK, lets take a WHOLE different approach.

We have two major companies hashing out a tiny niche market.
The real question is not what is in a new product.
It is what differentiates the new product from the others in the market.

Remember, for every added value feature, you have an added cost.

Now, decide what you DON'T want in the product (assuming gbowin1 is at all serious) (I'm not holding my breath)

reconrider8

maybe have like a gps with a built in scanner and it can track where the popo is at by tracking its radio signals... would be nice on teh nights at sonic when we get run off

N

N_Jay

Anyone willing to submit their micrprocessor/microcontroler ideas?

I am going to suggest: http://www.Microchip.com

18F19452: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010296

18F2550: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010280

Or an ATMEL chip. http://www.atmel.com

Maybe some stuff from Xilinx. http://www.xilinx.com

The 2550 is a USB Chip, I think.

Wouldn't you whiteboard out the concurrent functions and the MIPS required for each and select the micro-p based on that?

Maybe decide on a unified or distributed processing architecture?

Seems there is a lot of cart before the horse here.

c0untyb0y

Ability to put up a feed as easy as you can with Pro-Scan but that people could listen to without proprietery software. They could just use wimamp or something to listen. Pro-scan has all the ID's etc transmitted in the stream and is tres easy to get going. But if you do use the proprietery software you can control it remotely, over IP.

Scanner over IP would be awesome. Why not make this new scanner an network appliance too, connected via ethernet. Then one could essentially manage it remotely via a web browser interface that would be hosted by the scanner, if it will have an internal HDD. There, remote management problems solved. No need for additional hardware specific software or serial/USB cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.