Alleghany County Virginia p25 phase 2

bocook222

A G5 will work great too. I'm using my 536 and it works fine 95% of the time.

As for a Harris radio, that is opening up a can of worms. The newer radios won't allow you to do it safely. For the older ones you need to know which ones and those have to have a specific firmware in them then you need a specific CPS for them.

On top of it you need to know how to program it correctly to ghost the system or you'll end up in trouble. Stick with a scanner or G5. Unless you know what you're doing with a radio and programming you'll end up screwed.
What is the worst thing that could happen using a ghost radio. Maybe I can find a inside guy to clone it.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
What is the worst thing that could happen using a ghost radio. Maybe I can find a inside guy to clone it.
By duping an ID of a legit radio can cause issues for the legit user bumping their radio off the system. Very bad idea.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
YOU DO NOT want to use the id of a legit user. It really could be a matter of life and death for that person if you do so. It will cause that radio to go offline and or affiliate with your radio if you have the same id and if they call for help dispatch will not hear them. I am using a harris xg unity 100p radio but i do know what I am doing for NAS scan. Their are only 3 boxes you need to check and or uncheck so you do not affiliate at all.

fredva

Feed Provider
There seems to be a terminology issue here: bocook22 asked what is the worst thing that can happen with a GHOST radio, and was told that ids could be duplicated. If I understand motorcoachdoug's response, checking or unchecking three boxes prevents the radio from affiliating. So is a non-affiliating radio the same thing as a ghost radio? And if it is unaffiliated, does that make the concern about duplicating ids moot?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
There seems to be a terminology issue here: bocook22 asked what is the worst thing that can happen with a GHOST radio, and was told that ids could be duplicated. If I understand motorcoachdoug's response, checking or unchecking three boxes prevents the radio from affiliating. So is a non-affiliating radio the same thing as a ghost radio? And if it is unaffiliated, does that make the concern about duplicating ids moot?

I didn't mean a "Ghost radio" on the system but was referring to "Ghosting" the system. Some of the older Harris radios allow you to program the system in just as if you were an authorized user but you uncheck some boxes and it works like a normal radio without NAS or anything special. Kind of like the BK radios I've heard about. No affiliation, no interference, no nothing untoward to a radio system.

Motorcoachdoug confuses me in saying he can do it on a Unity yet says he's running NAS on it too. I guess you can do NAS on any radio but "Ghosting" I was told would not work on newer Harris radios by someone with Harris with well over 30 years of experience there. (a friend)

The story I heard was M radios used to do it but M stopped it after complaints and agencies started complaining to Harris so Harris stopped allowing their radios to do it too. Whether that is true or not I don't know.

He used the older radios on the systems he monitored unless he had authorization then he used his Unity and was authorized to do so. NAS is so complicated I'd be worried about screwing something up so I'd never do it for not wanting to interfere on a system. That's just me. Better safe than sorry IMO. Ghosting all I need to do is put in frequencies and talk groups, uncheck some boxes and hit write then turn on the radio and you're set.

Still a scanner works for me most of the time just fine. I rarely have any issue with my 536 on this system. Sometimes yes but not enough to worry about. I pick up Rockbridge fine and STARS as well as WVSIRN when in range. I have some issues with my old GRE 500 picking up stuff when I go down into Roanoke on it but when I have my 536 it works fine there too.

Generally speaking I agree, Rodney should stick to a scanner or Unication. An SDS 200 or Unication would do away with any issues he might be having with simulcast. Attenuating might help too. There is a tower in Clifton I remember correctly.

fredva

Feed Provider
I think I would also recommend going with a scanner, with an SDS-100 or a Unication (if monitoring one trunked system at a time is acceptable) being my recommendations. A commercial radio adds complexity. Dealing with that complexity would have had more payoff in the days before Unication and the SDS series, in my view. Note that I don't have any personal experience with getting commercial radios programmed but others who do have weighed in.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Ok if you look on the web deep enough you can find the info on how to prevent a harris xg100p from affiliating to a system that you want to monitor. Also the software RPM14c05 cracked is out their as well to program that radio so it will not affiliate to the system. Mabe i confused when I said NAS scanning which means it is not affiliating to the system but yet you can use it as a scanner but you must know what you are doing and you do NOT have to worry about radio ID as well. If you do NOT know how to program a Harris radio so it will NOT affiliate then please get a scanner and do your research as well. Hint take a look at AUTech.com and google are your friend..

bocook222

Ok if you look on the web deep enough you can find the info on how to prevent a harris xg100p from affiliating to a system that you want to monitor. Also the software RPM14c05 cracked is out their as well to program that radio so it will not affiliate to the system. Mabe i confused when I said NAS scanning which means it is not affiliating to the system but yet you can use it as a scanner but you must know what you are doing and you do NOT have to worry about radio ID as well. If you do NOT know how to program a Harris radio so it will NOT affiliate then please get a scanner and do your research as well. Hint take a look at AUTech.com and google are your friend..
I would like to get on their system and hopefully able to listen to the scrambled transmissions

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I would like to get on their system and hopefully able to listen to the scrambled transmissions
That will never happen. Attempting to break encryption if even possible is a federal crime.

fredva

Feed Provider
Is this why you want to get a commercial radio - because you think with a commercial radio, you will be able to listen to the scrambled law enforcement transmissions? That's not the case. Your radio has to have the encryption codes. If you aren't a sheriff's deputy with a county-purchased radio, do you really think they would provide you with the encryption codes? Any system administrator who would provide encryption codes to an unauthorized person is risking his job and possibly even jail time.

bocook222

Is this why you want to get a commercial radio - because you think with a commercial radio, you will be able to listen to the scrambled law enforcement transmissions? That's not the case. Your radio has to have the encryption codes. If you aren't a sheriff's deputy with a county-purchased radio, do you really think they would provide you with the encryption codes? Any system administrator who would provide encryption codes to an unauthorized person is risking his job and possibly even jail time.
I think encryption is making the monitoring hobby becoming obsolete. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and eventually someone will leak the codes sooner or later.

kainixon2187

Premium Subscriber
I think encryption is making the monitoring hobby becoming obsolete. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and eventually someone will leak the codes sooner or later.
I doubt anyway would leak encryption keys as the only ones who have access to them are the people that program the radios, they're also pretty lengthy. Even if they did they can all be easily be changed with OTAR. On another note, if you're looking to buy a commercial radio I would suggest purchasing an APX. They may be a little pricey but it's worth it for what you're getting. The only thing is you have to know what you're doing or you might affiliate with the system and/or cause some other damage.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber

You do know the system admins are on this forum, and you making all these incredibly stupid comments about getting someone to clone a radio and leaking keys is attracting attention you don't want. They are running AES, you can't crack it and no one is going to keyload your bootleg radio even if you got one.

Buy an SDS or Unication. Those are your options.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
Fire and EMS in your county are still in the open. If you are only interested in listening to the sheriff's department, you are out of luck.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
It's not going to happen. As others have said, no one is going to lose their job by "leaking" an ENC key. It's as simple as that.