AMATEUR RADIO --WHY GET A LICENSE (Seriously):

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

In many states, If you want to listen to police radio, in your car or even a business, as many do, it is illegal. However a simple Ham Tech license is the loophole in many states.

BlackhawkCB

KM4TQD
Premium Subscriber
To be as prosaic as possible, I'll just say that most people who get ham licenses do so because they know someone with a ham license and have been exposed to one or more of the many aspects of ham radio that interests them.
Agreed, I got into ham via CB when some ops where hams and did both. I visited one of them, who I consider an elmer and about a month later I had my tech license then about 2 months had my general all while in high school in 2018. I enjoy the people aspect of it, meeting new people local and far, chasing DX, and although I mostly do digital modes ill chat up a storm with anyone who will listen! Im more of a listener in the radio world but I think I wore myself out talking to people at the last hamcation :ROFLMAO: So, why get a license? Because its what you want or like to do.. radio scanning or ham radio is no different than cooking or baking, gaming or vintage cars.. its just what someone likes!

danesgs

I too smell a troll. I got licensed after 9/11 as a tech then upgraded to General in 2008. First off, CB/FRS or a cell phone is not going to get you AAA in the desert; might get a mad-max type crazy though. People on the coastal US that are licensed HAMs monitor the maritime mobile net on 14.300. Many a boater or sailor taking on water or with engine trouble has been saved with an HF radio in their boat and by other hams calling the USCG. You talk about spending genormous amounts of $$$ to get upgraded to I guess HF? Another fallacy. You can get a decent radio like a Xiegu G90 running 20 watts (not really QRP) for 430.00 or a used 100 watt rig in the 250.00 price range on Ebay.

It seems if you had passed your tech test you would be asking general questions about using VHF in an emergency situation. Not that you would ever be in one. Heck, buy a marine radio for your car and hope when your car breaks down in the desert you withing 15 miles of Lake Tahoe......

KJ4DGE

Firekite

I don't know that there is any one place you can look them up and the link below may be outdated. Check your own local state and municipal laws.

If that’s accurate, there are 4 others that require a ham license to use a scanner, to whatever extent they’re actually ever enforced. I think tossing out “many states” is misleading at best.

I live in Minnesota and its not really enforced.
I would imagine so.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I certainly smelled a troll but thought I would bite LOL
The OP is a troll nothing more!!
No further replies form the OP, definitely smells of a troll...
I too smell a troll.
If the OP is a troll, it was a drive-by because he hasn't been back since.

And, if you all believe OP is a troll, why did you reply? When you hear interference on amateur radio, do you acknowledge it, thus giving the instigator an audience? Or, do you just ignore it and move on?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If the OP is a troll, it was a drive-by because he hasn't been back since.

And, if you all believe OP is a troll, why did you reply? When you hear interference on amateur radio, do you acknowledge it, thus giving the instigator an audience? Or, do you just ignore it and move on?
Can't speak for others but I was the first to respond in post number 2 with a reasonable response, in case he wasn't a troll and was legitimate, I would have debated it with him. He just sounded bizarre, not the first time on RR.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
And so it is... my bad for missing it! :oops:

Illinois has no specific law(s) regarding either mobile transceivers or scanners in a motor vehicle. Although I live in NW Indiana, I do travel into and around Chicagoland frequently. I've never had any problems with my gear at any time during my 30+ years in this area.

Firekite

Illinois has no specific law(s) regarding either mobile transceivers or scanners in a motor vehicle. Although I live in NW Indiana, I do travel into and around Chicagoland frequently. I've never had any problems with my gear at any time during my 30+ years in this area.
Ok…so let’s not add Illinois to any list of a handful of states that require you to be a ham to use a scanner.

Firekite

The OP hasn't been back since his original post. Obviously a troll.
Hasn’t added new posts isn’t the same as hasn’t been back. He hung around for at least a few hours later. Still smells of troll, but still.

1633312970608.png

KOK5CY

Oklahoma it's perfectly Legal to run a scanner in your vehicle . I've been doing for a number of year's . only people that can't own a scanner in there vehicle are felons .

Firekite

. only people that can't own a scanner in there vehicle are felons .
Sorry, you’re saying that in Oklahoma if someone has been convicted of a felony at some point in their past, it’s illegal for them to own a scanner? I think maybe you’re confusing that concept with being illegal to use a scanner in the commission of a crime (an extra charge to toss on the pile).

Status
Not open for further replies.