Anne Arundel County Radio System Upgrade

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The question is will the police and fire departments change their zone mapping and channel layout now that they have the capacity and ability to do so. What is up now on the P25 system is essentially a mirror of what exists today on the SmartZone system.

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
My guess is that the talkgroup names will change for Fire and more expanded zones will occur like all of the local counties have down (BC, BCo, HC, PG, Calvert). Will be interesting to see if they add a Fire Special Events Zone as they usually utilize "Mike" but at times during the summer/fall when they have multiple large scale events, they all utilize one talkgroup. Never really understood why the "Disaster Zone" was never utilized for these types of interop events.

I wonder if the fire radios haven't been programmed yet since I have seen no logins on Unitrunker for fire radios. Maybe it is to help prevent the long term issue of the Digital Talkgroups in the radios that occurred years ago and everyone accidently switching over to them.

I would assume the patches to the P16 system will stay up for a while for Fire since it will take some time for all the daily mutual aid partners to have their radios reprogrammed.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
DPW Highways are 8697-8706 which are all patched together. It seems that users don't realize they are patched together since sometimes a user will say they are on a certain talkgroup but they are all patched. Based on some radio conservations at least some of the talkgroups may be "Dover Rd", "Western", "Eastern", "Southern," & "Western Admin".

I also believe that AACo Transit/Transportation Buses (MOVE) Vans use the Aging Talkgroup (8616). 8616 & 8617 are patched together. I *think* potentially 8617 could be the Transit/Move talkgroup when/if they remove the patch.

These patches on the P25 have all been taken down. 8617 definitely appears to be the County Transit/Move buses.
8697 - DPW Highways Southern District

The only patches that remain active on the P25 system are 8756 (Fire Admin November) & 8777.

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
The database for AA PD on this forum is showing TE for N,E,S,W..That’s why I asked.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
These are the fire talk groups mirrored and patched from the SmartZone system; probably will change:

Screenshot 2023-12-29 145023.png

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anyone figured out of Lima, Mike, or November or XRAY are on simulcast and in the band plan?
Alpha - November talkgroups are the only talkgroups currently patched over. BC X-Ray, EMRC, & Training Academy talkgroups have never been patched over to the new system so I have no idea what they are.

---

Still no indication of any testing or key ups from any field radios or dispatch consoles yet. Would be interesting to know if portables/mobiles have been programmed yet?

Will be interesting to see if BWI Fire talkgroups will be patched over on the new system from the MAA system like it is on the P16 system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Alpha - November talkgroups are the only talkgroups currently patched over. BC X-Ray, EMRC, & Training Academy talkgroups have never been patched over to the new system so I have no idea what they are.

---

Still no indication of any testing or key ups from any field radios or dispatch consoles yet. Would be interesting to know if portables/mobiles have been programmed yet?

Will be interesting to see if BWI Fire talkgroups will be patched over on the new system from the MAA system like it is on the P16 system.
If they are actually going to go live on the 4th, the programming would have to be in the radio already. Perhaps they can enable the new zones in the subscribers via OTAP?

I’m pretty sure that there will be a BWI zone on the radios, less sure there will actually be tg patching, but I would *think* so.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
I guess the fire switchover was delayed?
I don't think it was going to occur at all, no other agencies were ready to cutover, I'm not sure when, but I don't think it is imminent.

But hey Radio Reference is the expert when it comes to new systems and cutover so you all could be right and I could be wrong.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
8703 has been very active this evening with units handling trees down, road closures, & high water signage. It appears to be a main DPW dispatch channel.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
CHM published a new edition of their newsletter that has a statement from the Anne Arundel County Police external affairs spokesperson that they plan to introduce encryption in the near future. No other official details. Time to write Stuart a strongly worded letter.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
It seems that some of the Aging/Transit Buses are still using the 21F Aging Transport talkgroup on P16. Some of the buses haven't been upgraded and aren't able to communicate with "dispatch" but only with other buses with the old radios.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I hope they don’t take down 154.010. It’s a shame when cities or counties do this. They never take an account the benefits of keeping it on the air.