Announcing the BCD396XT and BC346XT Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Note to Paul: Maybe you should offer BCD396XT "Flavoradios" as Radio Shack (I believe) offered in the 1970's. Accessory faceplates are in! Look at all of the silly phone addons! Think of it...a black 396XT...a pink one...blue...peppermint twist...I could go on...

rvawatch

one vote against removable faceplates! anything that does that to me is so tacky. All black does look pretty sweet tho.. id be for adding some more rubber to the sides, etc giving it a more rugged look.

also we need encryption mute! Maybe to solve the debate of enc mute hold/ enc mute continue scanning, you could make it user selectable?

rwl48

Accessory faceplates are in!

I vote yes. That way every body can be happy.:)

cpuerror

My $0.02

I think the problem with silver is that the designer intended to be a more metallic-looking finish similar to silver cars and it would have probably worked, but the $$$ was too high so they went with this cheap plastic silver that everyone hates. I think the cheaper models like the 346 & 15 should be silver or mabey even an aqua or pastel blue. Black should be reserved for the high end models.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
GO for it Dave..but it won't do much now, the radios are nearly ready to hit the street soon.

You may want to start a thread for the next model.

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'd vote for black too. Not that I will be getting one anything soon. But if they need somebody with time on their hands to do testing, I'm off on disablity and have time to do any testing they might want done. By the time I get any money out of work comp Uniden may have the 596XT out. :)

emessick3

V3 updates for 396T & 996T

I apologize in advance for not knowing this, but what happened to the updates that were announced for late September? My scanner account lists V3 available, but goes nowhere when clicked upon.
Thanks, Gene K3SVA

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I apologize in advance for not knowing this, but what happened to the updates that were announced for late September? My scanner account lists V3 available, but goes nowhere when clicked upon.
Thanks, Gene K3SVA
V 3.00 came and went, 3.01 thread can be found here.

E367BL

Remote Head and GPS?

Been using my 996 with a remote head and a GPS now for a while. Seems to work OK... Works great. even the remote head comes up with 'GPS' in the top right same as on the main unit.

Has anyone else tried this? I have not bothered to purchase a RH unit yet as I would rather have the GPS functionality, but this statement goes against what UpMan's told us the scanner is capable of. It would be very intersting if this actually worked reliably.

There weren't any replies (other than a moderator bashing the guy) in the first 20 pages of the thread. Sorry, I'm not sure about the remaining 20 pages- It took around 2 hours to get that far, with all of the interuptions I've been getting.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The RH-96 also works well with the BR330T, BCT15, and BCD396T. It should work fine with the BC346XT and BCD396XT.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The RH-96 also works well with the BR330T, BCT15, and BCD396T. It should work fine with the BC346XT and BCD396XT.

Paul/UPMan has said elsewhere in this same thread that he expects a software/firmware update to the RH-96 to allow it to fully function with the 346/396xt.
Any other questions about the RH-96 working with other models needs to be addressed in another thread as this thread is about the 346xt/396xt. Let's all work to keep this thread on topic.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

magicmirror

Premium Subscriber
I just got my first scanner - a BCD396T - a few weeks ago. I'm now thinking I should return it and wait a few weeks or maybe even a month and get the latest model when the XT model arrives? Worth the wait?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I just got my first scanner - a BCD396T - a few weeks ago. I'm now thinking I should return it and wait a few weeks or maybe even a month and get the latest model when the XT model arrives? Worth the wait?

Up to you...surf by the Wiki page on the 396xt and see if the additions are worth the wait in your opinion.
Marshall KE4ZNR

magicmirror

Premium Subscriber
Well, that's part of my dilemma. Since I'm new to the hobby, I can't say if the new features are must haves or worth the wait for me. But conversely, I'm not really losing anything by not having a scanner for another month since I'm not really deep into this yet. It would just delay my exploration of scanning.

My thought was that having a device that is several years newer when I'm just starting out is probably worth a one month delay, as I don't see myself spending another $550 right away until I've learned more. I'm sure there is something I'll want a few months from now given how much interest is around this.

stuck22

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way that I can get a notification when these units hit the street? I would love to check here every 5 minutes but I am working too much.

I dont want to go through all 40 pages of useless posts in this thread... so dont freak out if this has been answered 10 times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.