Announcing the BCD396XT and BC346XT Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way that I can get a notification when these units hit the street? I would love to check here every 5 minutes but I am working too much.

When it's close -- you will know. Or you might contact a dealer and ask if they'll notify you.

magicmirror

Premium Subscriber
Let me phrase this a different way:

Is there anything on the new XT model that I might foreseeably need in the future (2-3 years) that the current model does not have?

I'm trying to determine if all of these new features are more luxury items (wants), or if 2-3 years of R&D since the last model was introduced has netted us some great hardware upgrades that are keeping up with changes in the technology those who we listen to are using (need to haves).

Thanks!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Let me phrase this a different way:

Is there anything on the new XT model that I might foreseeably need in the future (2-3 years) that the current model does not have?

I'm trying to determine if all of these new features are more luxury items (wants), or if 2-3 years of R&D since the last model was introduced has netted us some great hardware upgrades that are keeping up with changes in the technology those who we listen to are using (need to haves).

Thanks!

I guess the best answer is it depends on where you are going to use the scanner the most.

Some of the New features in the xt that previous Uniden radios did not have:

--Support for P25 Conventional channels that include NAC and TGID user differentiation (P25 One-Frequency Trunk)
This will allow you to decode & program NAC for conventional P25 (digital) channels and also be able to follow P25 One-Freq Trunk that is showing up in a few areas around the US.

EDACS ESK support
This will allow you to monitor analog EDACS systems that use ESK.

Control Channel Data Output – allows the analysis of control channel data without the need to perform invasive modifications to the scanner
No need to discriminator tap this baby. Get all the CC data you need with no stress of destroying your radio.

Fire Tone Out Search - built-in frequency counter displays the received tones.
No need to use external Tone Out decoding programs. Know all of the tones for the Fire/EMS units in your area.

System / Channel Number Tagging - provides rapid access to a specific system or channel.
This feature has gotten little mention or attention but I have a feeling it will end up being one of the most enjoyed features. Tag a specific System then tag a specific Frequency or Talkgroup and be able to pull up that channel/TG in a flash by hitting System Number Tag (. Period) Channel/ID Number Tag then Menu key. Example Label Local Moto System Number Tag 7. Label Police Dispatch Talkgroup Number 52. To pull up Police dispatch talkgroup just hit 7.52 Menu or 7 Period 52 Menu. Great to be able to recall specific Talkgroups/Channels in a hurry.

Individual channel volume offset
Great for those channels/talkgroups that either too quiet or too loud.

Intermediate Frequency Exchange - changes the IF used for a selected frequency to help avoid image and other mixer-product interference on a frequency.
Another feature that will end up being widely enjoyed and used. Rumor has it this feature works great.

These are just some of the features that set the 396xt apart from previous Uniden models.
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

BOBRR

Discriminator Tap Output

Hi,

Just a thought re the statement that "there would be a CC output so you don't have to get into the guts of the unit to get at a discriminator output".

What I would really like is a "true" discriminator output so I can log, via software programs now avail.,
e.g. ship AIS comms, and other stuff. This requires a true discriminator tap output apparently, not just a CC tap.

Don't know why they can't provide one.
Sure hate to have to get into the guts to solder a lead on.

Bob

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Fire Tone Out Search - built-in frequency counter displays the received tones.
No need to use external Tone Out decoding programs. Know all of the tones for the Fire/EMS units in your area.

System / Channel Number Tagging - provides rapid access to a specific system or channel.
This feature has gotten little mention or attention but I have a feeling it will end up being one of the most enjoyed features. Tag a specific System then tag a specific Frequency or Talkgroup and be able to pull up that channel/TG in a flash by hitting System Number Tag (. Period) Channel/ID Number Tag then Menu key. Example Label Local Moto System Number Tag 7. Label Police Dispatch Talkgroup Number 52. To pull up Police dispatch talkgroup just hit 7.52 Menu or 7 Period 52 Menu. Great to be able to recall specific Talkgroups/Channels in a hurry.

Intermediate Frequency Exchange - changes the IF used for a selected frequency to help avoid image and other mixer-product interference on a frequency.
Another feature that will end up being widely enjoyed and used. Rumor has it this feature works great.

These 3 features alone will really make this scanner a winner. I'm really looking forward to it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I did not know that.

I'm referring to GPS support, multi-site support, analog/digital specification per-channel/tg, startup keys, etc.

I would expect that things like CC output, freq counter in FTO, ESK, etc., are either not enough to warrant releasing an entirely new scanner model (in the case of the changes it would make to the 996), and/or some of them might be doable in a future firmware release (for the 996) we've been yet to be told about.

Stick0413

I am not trying to sound like a smart a$$ or anything Paul, but a release date would be nice. The reason I am saying this is because I should be getting my taxes back any day now and I am going to get a new scanner. If the 396XT will be dropping real soon I would like to wait to try something new. Otherwise my can't wait thing kicks in and since I love my 500 I will likely go with another one of them or a 106.

As I said please don't take this the wrong way. I do however bet there are other people in my shoes with similar thoughts.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
I am not trying to sound like a smart a$$ or anything Paul, but a release date would be nice. The reason I am saying this is because I should be getting my taxes back any day now and I am going to get a new scanner. If the 396XT will be dropping real soon I would like to wait to try something new. Otherwise my can't wait thing kicks in and since I love my 500 I will likely go with another one of them or a 106.

As I said please don't take this the wrong way. I do however bet there are other people in my shoes with similar thoughts.

Remember when Apple sued the guy that leaked a product announcement? Product announcements have to be done with a bit of fanfare. Marketing dweebs just doing their jobs.

BenJJ

Arrival Date

When it's close -- you will know. Or you might contact a dealer and ask if they'll notify you.

You know I've been checking this forum thread at least three times a week since last fall, hoping to see when the 396XT will be released. I've read through this thread, gone through the 396XT Wiki countless of times, and I think I know enough about the operation at least to start it up and operate it a bit, and now my brain can't absorb anymore!

Enough reading and speculation! Now is the time for hands on!

Based on the initial reports of when it was going to available, I was thinking it was going to be released very early in 2009, but I can see that I'm wrong.

I was hoping that the 396XT was going to hit the markets earlier in the year because who knows what the economic climate will be later in the year, and if the economy keeps going the direction it's going, one would have to be nuts (or a CEO of a large financial concern with a golden parachute) to want to spend $500 on scanner.

The further the release date gets pushed back, the more this scanner becomes less and less of a priority in my budget.

kevins669

Database Admin
You know I've been checking this forum thread at least three times a week since last fall, hoping to see when the 396XT will be released.

Based on the initial reports of when it was going to available, I was thinking it was going to be released very early in 2009, but I can see that I'm wrong.

I am pretty sure that the announcement said Q1 2009... Since we are only halfway through Q1, they still have a month and a half to go to make good on their projected release date. So given that time frame, I would say it would be soon.

The further the release date gets pushed back, the more this scanner becomes less and less of a priority in my budget.

To me, I think they did lots of people a favor. Uniden let everyone know that they would be releasing a new unit, approximately when they would release, and all the bells and whistles it will have. Heck, the manual is even published. Say you had $500 to spend on a new unit... GRE had theirs, and the RS one was quickly on its way... But if you were a Uniden fan, as far as you knew, nothing was inline to replace the current units...They gave you the ability to make a good decision on how you wanted to spend your scarce resource - the $500.

If you have already budgeted the money for it, who cares when it comes? Don't you hate it when you buy something, then find out a month later a new unit was to be released? Gosh, I hate that.

Uniden did us all a favor, and I expect they will deliver on their promise to release in Q1.

-- Kevin

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Patience young grasshopper! :D
As others have mentioned Uniden gave the release date as "1st Quarter 2009". 1st Quarter 2009 still has a lot of time left in it. Besides, would you agree it is worth the wait if Uniden (and their beta testers) takes the time to correct as many bugs as possible before release?
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

You know I've been checking this forum thread at least three times a week since last fall, hoping to see when the 396XT will be released. I've read through this thread, gone through the 396XT Wiki countless of times, and I think I know enough about the operation at least to start it up and operate it a bit, and now my brain can't absorb anymore!

Enough reading and speculation! Now is the time for hands on!

I was hoping that the 396XT was going to hit the markets earlier in the year because who knows what the economic climate will be later in the year, and if the economy keeps going the direction it's going, one would have to be nuts (or a CEO of a large financial concern with a golden parachute) to want to spend $500 on scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I will be able to announce a release date tomorrow. However, don't start looking at midnight. :)
It will be sometime after my 1st cup of coffee. Don't be knocking on my door at midnight with a cup of coffee.

"Why not today?"

Because we first advise our business associates such as distributors.

trido

Premium Subscriber
I will be able to announce a release date tomorrow. However, don't start looking at midnight. :)
It will be sometime after my 1st cup of coffee. Don't be knocking on my door at midnight with a cup of coffee.

"Why not today?"

Because we first advise our business associates such as distributors.

thought because it is FRIDAY the 13th.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I like the battery choice 3250mAh. How is the battery life expectancy I wonder?

That number seems a little high... As in "doesn't exist" sort of high. Where do you get those from?

Status
Not open for further replies.