Anyone in the Dothan or Enterprise Alabama using SDS100 to listen to NXDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjl0412

Premium Subscriber
You can go ahead and get out of Search ID mode since you have added the Enterprise PD to both trunk systems. I also would recommend deleting the Streets entry. It is not the correct way to hear Enterprise PD. That frequency is 1 of 5 frequencies in the trunk, so there is only a 20% chance the talk is on that frequency, 80% of the time it will be on the other 4.

To get out of Search ID, just go back to the place you turned on and turn if off. Save everything and then write to the scanner.

On your question about the 25 inch antenna, since it is a telescoping antenna, the length determines how good it is. There is a quick formula to calculate that. Basically it is 234/frequency computes to the length in feet for best reception. In your case, 234/156 (which is the common frequency you are using) is 1.5 feet or 18 inches. At 25 inches, it best for airplanes on 118 to 136 frequencies. The problem with telescoping antennas is that they are very good on a small range and bad on others depending on the length it is set at. That concept is called tuning the antenna for the frequency you want to hear. I would wait to see how well the Diamond works before changing anything on the BCT15x. You might want to try setting the antenna at around 18 inches to see if that improves things.

The tuning concept is ONLY for telescoping antennas, the rubber duck and discones are tuned a different way.
Thank you for that..Diamond sma is on the way.(y)
To answer question about Law Dispatch vs Law Talk vs Law Tac

Lexington, Ky where I live has a population of approximately 400,000 and Police Department with approximately 600 officers. With a force that big and that many possible things happening, there are Law Talk, Law Dispatch, and Law Tac TGIDs for their use.

Law Tac is used when there is a major incident going on such as a barricade situation, suspicious package, big sporting event - you would hear the commanding officer tell folks to go to TAC, means they all switch to the TGID so they don't interfere with "normal" traffic.

Law Talk is used if one officer needs to tell another something like just followed up on xxxx, what have you heard about xxxx, again they don't interfere with normal traffic.

Law Dispatch is what is normally used where the dispatcher sends out to the units and units respond to the dispatch and/or unit calls in on traffic stop and dispatcher acknowledges.

In your situation, your city might not be big enough to need all of that. The RR database doesn't mention an Law Tac or Law Talk for your area.

The bad news here in Lexington -- they are on a P25 simulcast trunk system but approximately 2 years ago, everything went fully encrypted in both fire and police as well as EMS and the airport police, so now we hear NOTHING.
Oh so if Eprise ever does that, these scanners for that purpose will be useless? Apparently the Coffee county sheriffs dept has already gone encrypted.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Here is SE alabama there is some encryption on S & P's sites. The biggest town Dothan is clear on dispatch only, Houston
county is clear. jjl0412 mentioned Ozark and Dale county little traffic no encryption(?). Fort Rucker's MP's dispatch is clear only, aircraft
maintenance is clear. State trooper is conventional clear. Geneva county has a lot of encryption, conventional DMR. I don't listen
much I just look for something I haven't seen before or can't figure out, then I try to find out what it is.

Mil
Just saw where jjl0412 said coffee county sheriff is encrypted, don't know about that I will listen and see.

jjl0412

Premium Subscriber
To answer question about Law Dispatch vs Law Talk vs Law Tac

Lexington, Ky where I live has a population of approximately 400,000 and Police Department with approximately 600 officers. With a force that big and that many possible things happening, there are Law Talk, Law Dispatch, and Law Tac TGIDs for their use.

Law Tac is used when there is a major incident going on such as a barricade situation, suspicious package, big sporting event - you would hear the commanding officer tell folks to go to TAC, means they all switch to the TGID so they don't interfere with "normal" traffic.

Law Talk is used if one officer needs to tell another something like just followed up on xxxx, what have you heard about xxxx, again they don't interfere with normal traffic.

Law Dispatch is what is normally used where the dispatcher sends out to the units and units respond to the dispatch and/or unit calls in on traffic stop and dispatcher acknowledges.

In your situation, your city might not be big enough to need all of that. The RR database doesn't mention an Law Tac or Law Talk for your area.

The bad news here in Lexington -- they are on a P25 simulcast trunk system but approximately 2 years ago, everything went fully encrypted in both fire and police as well as EMS and the airport police, so now we hear NOTHING.
Hi DudleyG, are there any other channels I should check the TGID SearchID for in Coffee? OR have we done all we can at this point? Also would it be useful to to the same thing in Daleville,(open) Dale county. I can only get Ozark (Dale) on the Centerfire discone, put when I replace it with the Diamond, I may be able to get them too.. Any reason, and if so, who would i do the ID search for? What about Dale county Sheriff?

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Search-ID only works on trunk systems.

Looking at the info in Sentinel for Dale County, the only trunk system I see is for Fort Rucker. The statewide S&P Trunk system doesn't show anything that looks like it is in Dale County. Can't see what you currently have in your scan list for Dale County but since it isn't trunk, you would have to manual add that entry/frequency to your scan list. Looking at Sentinel, there are some police and fire entries in Ozark, plus a sheriff entry for Dale County. You could add them if they aren't already there. You can post of picture of your screen for Dale County if you want and I will look at it.

Looking at the Service Type for several Ozark police and fire entries, some of them have Multi-Talk and some have Law Talk. Unless you enable the those Service Types on your scanner or edit the entry to be Law Dispatch; you won't hear anything even if the scanner can pick it up. I also see an entry for a fire channel that is Fire-Tac which would have to be edited or that Service Type added to your scanner.

I would go ahead and switch the City of Enterprise trunk system back to SCAN-ID, you should have by now found everything on that one. If you want to try SEARCH-ID on the S&P trunk system, that won't hurt anything. If you do, run it for a day or so and see what it finds.

Last edited:

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
@jjl0412 - one other thing that would be very useful is a picture of your computer screen that shows what Service Types you have enabled.

To get the shot, Edit your PROFILE - select the second tab called SERVICE TYPES - and take a picture.

Then just click on the upper right corner "X" to get out since you didn't edit anything.

jjl0412

Premium Subscriber
Search-ID only works on trunk systems.

Looking at the info in Sentinel for Dale County, the only trunk system I see is for Fort Rucker. The statewide S&P Trunk system doesn't show anything that looks like it is in Dale County. Can't see what you currently have in your scan list for Dale County but since it isn't trunk, you would have to manual add that entry/frequency to your scan list. Looking at Sentinel, there are some police and fire entries in Ozark, plus a sheriff entry for Dale County. You could add them if they aren't already there. You can post of picture of your screen for Dale County if you want and I will look at it.

Looking at the Service Type for several Ozark police and fire entries, some of them have Multi-Talk and some have Law Talk. Unless you enable the those Service Types on your scanner or edit the entry to be Law Dispatch; you won't hear anything even if the scanner can pick it up. I also see an entry for a fire channel that is Fire-Tac which would have to be edited or that Service Type added to your scanner.

I would go ahead and switch the City of Enterprise trunk system back to SCAN-ID, you should have by now found everything on that one. If you want to try SEARCH-ID on the S&P trunk system, that won't hurt anything. If you do, run it for a day or so and see what it finds.
ok thank you for checking. witll post pics in a bit.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
FYI Dale county is listed in the RR database under the Alabama.....AIRS trunking list. Its:

Sysid RFSS Site
46b 2 11, 12, 13 & 14

I can receive 3 of the 4, not the one up in Pike county.

Ozark is listed in the FCC database, license # WQTS955
769.83125 CC
I can only get them when skip is running. They are pushing 100 watts up a 100 tower and there is
a 110 foot hill between them and me.

Hope this is right,
Mil

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Mil, thanks for pointing that out. It is probably worth adding to @jjl0412 scanner. Since I don't live in Alabama, I am not familiar with many of the systems. Looking at the AIRS trunk, are any of the other counties nearby or would he be scanning the entire state. There isn't any easy way to add parts of a P25 trunk system to Uniden Scanner, basically you add the whole thing and avoid (or skip) what you don't want to hear.

Last edited:

jjl0412

Premium Subscriber
@jjl0412 - one other thing that would be very useful is a picture of your computer screen that shows what Service Types you have enabled.

To get the shot, Edit your PROFILE - select the second tab called SERVICE TYPES - and take a picture.

Then just click on the upper right corner "X" to get out since you didn't edit anything.

Attachments

• 20210119_125545.jpg
    20210119_125545.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 5

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
RR Database shows all kinds of things, not just Police and Fire. That's why I wanted to see the Dale County entries ScanMaster created for you.

Click on the + sign for the favorite named Dale Cnty, AL Area and expand everything under that favorite and take a picture --- that's what I would like to see.

jjl0412

Premium Subscriber
RR Database shows all kinds of things, not just Police and Fire. That's why I wanted to see the Dale County entries ScanMaster created for you.

Click on the + sign for the favorite named Dale Cnty, AL Area and expand everything under that favorite and take a picture --- that's what I would like to see.
Sorry Dudley..been dealing with VA. Anyway.. need more?

Attachments

• 20210120_093429.jpg
    20210120_093429.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 13

jjl0412

Premium Subscriber
FYI Dale county is listed in the RR database under the Alabama.....AIRS trunking list. Its:

Sysid RFSS Site
46b 2 11, 12, 13 & 14

I can receive 3 of the 4, not the one up in Pike county.

Ozark is listed in the FCC database, license # WQTS955
769.83125 CC
I can only get them when skip is running. They are pushing 100 watts up a 100 tower and there is
a 110 foot hill between them and me.

Hope this is right,
Mil
I have these included in my Dale Cnty Favorites list

jjl0412

Premium Subscriber
Mil, thanks for pointing that out. It is probably worth adding to @jjl0412 scanner. Since I don't live in Alabama, I am not familiar with many of the systems. Looking at the AIRS trunk, are any of the other counties nearby or would he be scanning the entire state. There isn't any easy way to add parts of a P25 trunk system to Uniden Scanner, basically you add the whole thing and avoid (or skip) what you don't want to hear.
These freqs are already in the Dale Cnty Favorites..

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
That looks great, it appears they loaded what you asked for and needed.

What is the status of your scanner? Are you back to SCAN-ID mode for all of the trunk systems?

If you want, I can tell you how to enable Favorite Quick Keys so you can easily turn off scanning the Dale Area favorite list and only scan the Coffee Area favorite list or scan just the Dale area by turning off Coffee. Normally, you want to scan both, but if something BIG is happening Coffee, you may not want to have Dale traffic slowing down hearing Coffee traffic. Enabling the Fav Quick Keys is real easy.

Heck, before long you will be helping other get setup to listen to Coffee and Dale Counties on their scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.