• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone Anyone use the AnyTone AT-D578UV III Pro Tri-Band yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Rats - I was hoping there was some magic going on with that radio and supporting SFR. Thank you all for your expenses and relaying your efforts with this.

N5XPM

Update: So I went back to the drawing board and set up the 578 as a single frequency DMR repeater. Again, I got it to work around the house but still getting intermittent digital audio drops every once in a while. So it worked (kinda) but then again when I went beyond 1/2 mile the system doesn't transmit correctly (no range). I would agree with the other commentors here regarding desense on seperate frequencies but theoretically it should work in digital on the same frequency. Theses are packets that are being received on Time slot 1 and then rebroadcast (on the same frequency) on time slot 2. This is a digital carrier transmission similar to a TDMA (which the ETSI standard is) so it should work but doesn't. I reached out to Bridgecom Systems and have been waiting all week for a reply to this problem. They told me that even though Anytone says they have a "cross-band repeater mode" that it doesn't work because there is no internal duplexer and you actually need a real repeater. "Its just a radio", they said. They went on to say that it definitely is not designed to do VHF to VHF, or UHF to UHF cross-banding. I wish I would have known all this because I spent a good solid 2-3 weeks of trying to make it work. So I guess repeater here I come. Had a nice conversation regarding Hytera digital repeaters so I might go in that direction. Thanks everyone...

Thanks for all your efforts and sharing them. My only other suggestions are to try a low power transmit setting in the repeater mode and maybe trying identifying a non-standard pair of 70 cm amateur frequencies (greater than 5 MHz) with low power as well. Almost seems like a firmware problem that may be solvable but hasn't yet. When in cross-band mode, avoid frequency pairs that are three times (such as 151 and 453 Mhz) multiples as well.

chargil

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased the 578 and like the general hardware quality. I have some issues with the subsystems. For example, I have not been able to use the analog APRS. It seems that my radio is not transmitting any packets. I have a good GPS signal, per the indicator and GPS info page and I amusing a path that others seem to be able to use in the area. I have watched both the 878 and 578 You Tube videos on the subject as well. Anybody have any suggestions?

Also, I discovered the Bluetooth feature apparently doesn't work with my 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser and selecting the key assignments in the CPS software doesn't always work correctly. As far as sound quality, the volume is a bit weak but the quality is good. Overall I still like the radio.

gman1971

I've had quite bad luck with the 578 so far. While the radio hardware is nice, the firmware seems really buggy and not ready for general usage, so expect freezes and other issues. Latest bug I ran into is when I tried adding a zone on the front panel it bricked the radio.... so if you don't have the option to activate the reset from the front panel, you'll be SOL. The radio is just buggy. My advice is to only program using the CPS, as you might brick it using the front panel....

At ay rate, I posted a review on mygmrs.com forum with a lot of the bugs I've found.
Review here: Anytone 578 firmware bugs....

Also, beware, the firmware 1.06 from Bridgecomm triggers the antivirus stating that it has a trojan virus. I reverted back 1.05 and no warnings there.

Like I've stated in the beginning, the overall quality of the hardware on the radio is good, everything feels good, etc... the screen could be a bit bigger perhaps, but the receiver (well, two receivers, which is what really matters) are a huge step up from the 868 and 878 portables (and their "sibling" MD5, 6X2) but the firmware is just not there yet.

I ended up taking the radio out of my velomobile due to the constant freezes when in repeater mode and converted it to a backpack radio... I also encountered other issues with Bluetooth... etc... so if you really plan to use this radio unattended, beware that it might freeze randomly on you... and the only way to bring it back is to pull the plug.

Hope this helps anyone.

G.

MikeMercury

GMAN, sorry to hear of the troubles. I have had the exact opposite experience. I am using my 578 as a base station; use it every day and have had no operational problems. I am using firmware ver 1.06; and I am not one to jump to new firmware either.

I have worked in the commercial 2-way field for 29 years, PC programming is the only method I use anymore. I hope your 578 operates more stable in the future.

I have another 578, was going to install it in my daily driver; but without the bl,uetooth handmic available... this install will have to wait. The front panel display is just too small... and there's no easy mounting location to where I can easliy see the display.

gman1971

The bugs are very easy to repro... try them. I am glad it works for you, but perhaps you are not using the radio as a crossband repeat DMR then you won't see any of the problems I've run into.

Also, did you had a chance to read my review at mygmrs.com? b/c I think my issues are very clearly detailed there.

Base station is a very broad term, and certainly not the case I was using it for. So being a "base station" doesn't really tell me your use case, but at first glance, a base station to me lies in the "attended" vs "unattended" category. Now, a crossband repeater inside a velomobile that sits in a remote location for hours would be "unattended", so if the radio hangs (freezes) during that time, the only way to get it back to work is walking back to the velomobile and unplugging the battery cable, thus defeating the purpose of a "radio", and b/c I needed it as a crossband DMR repeater, but if it can't do that reliably, then I will use my Vertex Standard gear that is far more reliable... but there are far more issues than just that.

The small display, no remote head, etc, I didn't particularly mind any that when installing inside a vehicle (velomobile) b/c it was going to be used as a permanent 100% crossband repeat for handhelds, so all it need to do was crossband digital repeat, and that didn't work...

G.

toups

Hi all,
I bought a AT578 last week and played with quite a lot.

- I tried SFR mode and was quite disappointed too...
it's seems to be working (TS1 -> TS2) but it's a very poor quality with glitch, blank and sometimes it's close to be good...
My reference is Hytera used as SFR where the quality is really correct is not great !
I know that this is not the same price but selling a device with feature that is not really working is a kind of lie.

- I'm also using it with an Open Spot and it's ok (after offset setting).

- On FM UHF I have a good reception maybe some ghost signal (paging / beacon). Good audio report as well.

- On DMR reception (professional) it's not always decoding even with Digi Mode active.

If anyone want to share SFR experience, more that welcome (for me this one the key feature).

73s

Hi all,
I bought a AT578 last week and played with quite a lot.

- I tried SFR mode and was quite disappointed too...
it's seems to be working (TS1 -> TS2) but it's a very poor quality with glitch, blank and sometimes it's close to be good...
My reference is Hytera used as SFR where the quality is really correct is not great !
I know that this is not the same price but selling a device with feature that is not really working is a kind of lie.

- I'm also using it with an Open Spot and it's ok (after offset setting).

- On FM UHF I have a good reception maybe some ghost signal (paging / beacon). Good audio report as well.

- On DMR reception (professional) it's not always decoding even with Digi Mode active.

If anyone want to share SFR experience, more that welcome (for me this one the key feature).

73s
PS
- I forgot to mention that dual tunner / VFO is a realy nice feature !

gman1971

@toups, totally agree. The radio, when trying to use some of its more advanced features it has a lot of problems, features don't work reliably and lead to radio freezing.

I've also run into the DMR not decoding sometimes, in my case the radio would hang shortly after this happened...

When I re purposed it to backpack duty it is now basically acting as a "base station" .. when none of its advanced features are used so the radio seems to work... and if it freezes I am right there to reboot it.... like you said... kind of a lie.

No firmware updates since Jan... BT seems to have issues too with my senna headset... etc... compared to the BT implementation in my 2014 phone the radio is just poorly programmed. At 400 dollars MSRP, this radio should've been on par with the Icoms, Kenwoods, etc, in terms of reliability, but its just not there by a long shot.

G.

toups

@gman1971 , You are correct over the past couple of days, when running the frequencies or memories scan with Digi Mon activated,
I also noticed that the radio freezes...
I wasn't sure if it was linked to the USB port always connected to my PC so I disconnected it but no improvement.

These bugs are really annoying and unacceptable.
The more I test it, the less I like it....

gman1971

@gman1971 , You are correct over the past couple of days, when running the frequencies or memories scan with Digi Mon activated,
I also noticed that the radio freezes...
I wasn't sure if it was linked to the USB port always connected to my PC so I disconnected it but no improvement.

These bugs are really annoying and unacceptable.
The more I test it, the less I like it....

I agree, and I really want to like this radio, but its too buggy for unattended use or for more than a casual talk. Certainly an LMR application is really not possible with the bugs. That is why it was removed from my velomobile. While it has a very decent receiver, and tri-band, with DMR, it works great as a backpack radio where all I need it for is the occasional TX...

Wish it had AM airband but at this time I'll be content if it just works...

G.

ahboood

After reading all the reviews, it looks like I will wait until I buy a 578. Thanks you for the great reviews.

ahboood

My primary reason for holding off on a purchase is the lack of "split mount" design, but the bug infestation supports my resolve to not even consider it for a base use.
I had the radio in my cart and was ready to buy it. Then I thought I better check the forums and I am glad I did. Lets hope they fix the issues soon.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I just ordered an AnyTone AT-D578UV III so we'll see how this goes. The last thing I need in my life is another radio.

BTW, you can get it for $389 from "letsgetready" on fleabay with free shipping and 1yr US warranty.

I got a 578UV III from them myself a month or so ago. I like it. Connected to a dual-band antenna in the attic and it works like a charm, through the repeaters (one 15 miles away to the NE and the other 17 miles away to the SE) or through the duplex hotspot sitting on the shelf in my office. Programming port is on the left front side of the radio so it's reasonably easy to get at mounted on the shelf on my desk.

I also have a Connect Systems CS-800D, and what possessed them to put the programming port on the rear panel I will never understand.

I had the radio in my cart and was ready to buy it. Then I thought I better check the forums and I am glad I did. Lets hope they fix the issues soon.

No issues with mine; it came with the latest firmware at the time (v1.06) but they're up to v1.07 now.

toups

Hi all,
1 mounth after the acquisition, thing are doing better...
I did a firmware upgrade to 1.07 and 1.07R, thx to Anytone team who has been reactive to suggest and share this. Not all the manufacturers are answering to users...
  1. First I tried again to use the SFR mode with a pocket Hytera which has a proper tier II and all went much better ! The sound is close to be perfect :) and it's working fine. Good news !
  2. Once again this is critical to optimize the offset on the frequency that you will use for HotSpot.
  3. DMR scan is ok.
  4. I noticed that when listening a DRM traffic with encryption or some NXDN traffic the Anytone got frozen... I have been able te reproduce this on 2 specific frequencies with such transmission. the only solution is to turn off the power supply.

ahbood

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
1 mounth after the acquisition, thing are doing better...
I did a firmware upgrade to 1.07 and 1.07R, thx to Anytone team who has been reactive to suggest and share this. Not all the manufacturers are answering to users...
  1. First I tried again to use the SFR mode with a pocket Hytera which has a proper tier II and all went much better ! The sound is close to be perfect :) and it's working fine. Good news !
  2. Once again this is critical to optimize the offset on the frequency that you will use for HotSpot.
  3. DMR scan is ok.
  4. I noticed that when listening a DRM traffic with encryption or some NXDN traffic the Anytone got frozen... I have been able te reproduce this on 2 specific frequencies with such transmission. the only solution is to turn off the power supply.
Thanks for the update. I got the radio a few days ago but haven't had the chance to install it, and I hope it already has the new firmware.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. I got the radio a few days ago but haven't had the chance to install it, and I hope it already has the new firmware.
Take a moment to bench power the radio to see what firmware it has. Not uncommon for hardware to lag user installable firmware.
Mike

ahbood

Premium Subscriber
Take a moment to bench power the radio to see what firmware it has. Not uncommon for hardware to lag user installable firmware.
Mike
I am walking out to program the radio since I just finished the new code plug. I will let you know what firmware it has. Thanks for the recommendation of bench testing it first.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Good luck with the new 578 ahbood. Will look out for you on DMR to discuss your opinion. Think we spoke on Arizona TG 3104 previously when I first discussed my experience with the 578. I’ll look for you there or on So Cal 31066.

Status
Not open for further replies.