AT&T snags FBI business from Verizon with $92M FirstNet contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
Under the new contract, the FBI will use FirstNet to communicate and connect nationwide both for day-to-day and emergency operations. That includes all local offices. All traffic is also encrypted.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if FBI is moving away from their Motorola WAVE solution? Basically, it is an app on their phones, laptops, desktops with radio and SIP integration. TT

wowologist

Certifiable
I wonder if FBI is moving away from their Motorola WAVE solution? Basically, it is an app on their phones, laptops, desktops with radio and SIP integration. TT

o, you mean Signal with an /\/\ marketing/branding, ya that's all IP based...what FirstNET is, is the actual physical layer of connection...its just like the cell phone provider that you use, but with an priority packet routing and an additional full spectrum band dedicated to it's users.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Ah yes, that you for explaining FirstNet. It is new to me. Do you have any more info on it? TT

bchappuie

Just a new contract for cellular services. Sure they got some real discounted rate since the government pays AT&T for the network. My bet is they will have their priority on all the time, unlike other First Net users, however there are still application restrictions on priority. No new functions on First Net.

wowologist

Certifiable

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
AT&T cell service around here leaves a subscriber wishing for better service.

True with most services.

However, they do have options...
Many of the vehicle based LTE routers will support multiple SIM cards, so it's not unheard of to have FirstNet and Verizon SIM cards running in these units.
FirstNet can run a bit more power on the mobile devices. Not a lot, but a bit over 1 watt, if I recall correctly.

For really critical applications, they can add a small satellite uplink to improve coverage.

And I don't see anywhere that says they'll be abandoning their existing LMR system.

RFI-EMI-GUY

o, you mean Signal with an /\/\ marketing/branding, ya that's all IP based...what FirstNET is, is the actual physical layer of connection...its just like the cell phone provider that you use, but with an priority packet routing and an additional full spectrum band dedicated to it's users.
Some back ground on Wave's Twisted Sister.

As far as I know, Wave and Firstnet PTT / Voice over LTE or whatever are not the same. I could be wrong, but Motorola markets Wave independent of FirstNet. It is their PTT over Broadband solution.

Being an LMR proponent, all this makes me queasy, or it could be my lunch.

wowologist

Certifiable
Some back ground on Wave's Twisted Sister.

As far as I know, Wave and Firstnet PTT / Voice over LTE or whatever are not the same. I could be wrong, but Motorola markets Wave independent of FirstNet. It is their PTT over Broadband solution.

Being an LMR proponent, all this makes me queasy, or it could be my lunch.

Yeop thats what I was saying. Actually they are all rebranded / slight re-tooled versions of the core application layer which is ( Signal ). FirstNET is just the IP pathway - take it as being say the...highway...with lanes on it...and the cars are the apps/software/packets that proceed along the highway (FirstNET, ATTwireless, Verizon etc. (Vendors))

No matter the PTToIP it's been built upon the Signal core and marketed for various points of use...even Zello which is literally no different from Wave. Signal is THE most secure comm app and believe or not is readily available and usable by an everyday Joe, and is also in use by far more organizations including the US Senate/House, WHCC, NSA, USSS as well as numerous countries around the world. Wave is just another "offering/flavor/branding/GUI" that /\/\ can make a dime off of.

Hit_Factor

wowologist

Certifiable
" Being an LMR proponent, all this makes me queasy, or it could be my lunch. "

And honestly if that's your livelihood you really should be. And no I'm not dissing you, as I to am a proponent of LMR and it's uses, but like the dino's - old things tend to go.

And why do I say that? We'll literally every use case that LMR has, can be offset/dispelled/enhanced/ by using IP.

Take a situation like say a rather large car meet say a 200 acre fair grounds..just an example not pointing fingers etc. Now in LMR land you have 2-way comms over a wide area, you have to pay people to walk around or man information booths, co-ordinate etc.

Now change that to an RoIP/IP device driven event; you now not ONLY have 2-way comms, you have 2 way direct comms with one or one to many, you have direct access to guest/attendees (via ther own personal cell/device), you have event mapping on the fly, you have GPS pathing to certain vendor tents or security first aid incidents or snack bar etc., instant messaging (one to one and one to many), you have crystal clear voice and data simultaneously, you have direct marketing of vehicles/products that they came to the event to see, you have customers that can directly access aid in the event of an fist aid incident etc.... the integration is literally endless and what it really comes down to is once again $$. If it's going to become an asset and gain for the promoter, guess what ther going to go with.

And this is the retail/consumer jib...now watch the FirstNET "future" videos on the www and see what they have planned for public service....and when they say "future" they mean within years this tech is going to land...not decades.

Last edited:

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Being an LMR proponent, all this makes me queasy . . .
Me to. I see way too much reliance on LTE coming in the near future.

What's even worse is the lack of failover options for public safety users who make the switch away from LMR. Most are completely reliant on the carrier and are screwed when it goes down. Sure ATT and Firstnet have deployables and SatCOLTs but it takes time to bring in those resources.

wsmoore

Database Admin
You will still have LMR Systems. This lets you get data and talk to somebody on LTE while you talk on the LMR. It merges both together. Think of it as patch that feeds data and LTE Voice to Your P25 LMR. I understand the K.I.S.S. Theory. It works,but times are changing unfortunately. The Day will come when the LMR Systems go Bye Bye, but enjoy it while We can.

And honestly if that's your livelihood you really should be. And no I'm not dissing you, as I to am a proponent of LMR and it's uses, but like the dino's - old things tend to go.

And why do I say that? We'll literally every use case that LMR has, can be offset/dispelled/enhanced/ by using IP.

Take a situation like say a rather large car meet say a 200 acre fair grounds..just an example not pointing fingers etc. Now in LMR land you have 2-way comms over a wide area, you have to pay people to walk around or man information booths, co-ordinate etc.

Now change that to an RoIP/IP device driven event; you now not ONLY have 2-way comms, you have 2 way direct comms with one or one to many, you have direct access to guest/attendees (via ther own personal cell/device), you have event mapping on the fly, you have GPS pathing to certain vendor tents or security first aid incidents or snack bar etc., instant messaging (one to one and one to many), you have crystal clear voice and data simultaneously, you have direct marketing of vehicles/products that they came to the event to see, you have customers that can directly access aid in the event of an fist aid incident etc.... the integration is literally endless and what it really comes down to is once again $$. If it's going to become an asset and gain for the promoter, guess what ther going to go with.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I mostly agree with this. You bring up some valid points. For ~most~ use cases, LTE will work just fine and provides a higher level of service/coverage than LMR can even come close to.

Issue is, putting all the eggs in someone else's basket. Not a problem for a bunch of security guards, towing company, plumbing contractor, etc. These users can get more coverage than they could ever dream of with their own systems, or even most systems provided by radio shops.

Where putting all your eggs in someone else's basket becomes an issue is with public safety.
Most large agencies have techs on call 24x7x365 that can resolve issues quickly.
When you look at an LTE carrier, you are dealing with an third party, and often a call center on the other side of the country. They claim they'll respond, but there's a difference between that and actually getting a tech on site. Once that tech gets there, you are reliant on someone who has little vested interest in the communications of a public safety agency. Chances are they'll do a good job, but if they don't, the best you can do is complain to your account manager.

You are reliant on someone else's basket that is now holding your eggs to be in good shape and not have a hole in the bottom. Generally you are not allowed to inspect said basket before putting your eggs in it. You sort of cross your fingers and hope your eggs don't fall out the bottom.

Generally AT&T has been pretty good, but they certainly have their faults and have needed to have their arm twisted to get things resolved.

Good thing is LTE and LMR can co-exist. Getting the best of both worlds for those that need it and are willing to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.