At wit's end - 'Sentinel Has Stopped Working'!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

Did you remove,reinstall the correct version? .NET is not like most SW that is progressive in firmware versions. .NET 4 is completely different than .NET 2, for example, and version 4 does not replace version 2.

HamDaughter

I uninstalled and re-installed versions 3.5 and 4.6 - the only versions I have . . . see post #22 for CalmWind's directions and post #26 for what I did.

Thoughts?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Have you tried uninstalling Sentinel. Then run regedit. First backup the Registy; Then search the whole registry for anything uniden. If it is associated with Sentinel then delete the items you find. Keep searching until you don't find them. Then Reboot and try installing one more time.. It's worth a shot since nothing else has worked.

HamDaughter

How do I know if something I find in the registry is associated with Uniden/Sentinel? Will every single singe thing associated with Uniden and/or Sentinel have 'Uniden' or 'Sentinel' in the name or description or something?

Oh and also I just realized I don't have .net version 2 . . . is this necessary? How do I get this since you guys said the versions don't replace each other? What about version 1? Should I have that? How do I get it?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
If you should see something like "Uniden\BCDx36HP Sentinel\..." In the line; Then it can be deleted without any harm. If by chance you have some other older software by Uniden installed on the PC you may need to keep it. Just make a backup of the whole Registry first..

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I have the following .NET Versions Installed on My machine 3.5 / 1.1 / 4.5.2.
No 2 and it works.

HamDaughter

Ok I uninstalled Sentinel and then used regedit to delete anything related to Uniden or Sentinel, rebooted, reinstalled Sentinel, used Windows Update to search for updates (there were none), rebooted again . . . nothing. Still doesn't work.

How on Earth do I install older versions of .net? I want to install every single version of .net that has ever existed (since they don't replace each other, etc) - is this possible!?

ANY other thoughts!?!?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Ok I uninstalled Sentinel and then used regedit to delete anything related to Uniden or Sentinel, rebooted, reinstalled Sentinel, used Windows Update to search for updates (there were none), rebooted again . . . nothing. Still doesn't work.

How on Earth do I install older versions of .net? I want to install every single version of .net that has ever existed (since they don't replace each other, etc) - is this possible!?

ANY other thoughts!?!?

I found this on Microsoft...
The .NET Framework versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 are built with the same version of the CLR (CLR 2.0). These versions represent successive layers of a single installation. Each version is built incrementally on top of the earlier versions. It is not possible to run versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 side by side on a computer. When you install version 3.5, you get the 2.0 and 3.0 layers automatically, and apps that were built for versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 can all run on version 3.5.

Version 2.0 is a part of the 3.5 package... You should already have it from what you posted...

Voyager

Just google Install .NET x.y where x.y is the version you want. Versions within the same major version do replace earlier versions, so you should only need .NET 2, 3, and 4's latest.

Randy: I was told differently. While .NET 3.5 may include .NET 3.0 and 2.0, they will run side-by-side.

On this specific PC, I have:
.NET Framework 2.0 SP2
.NET Framework 3.0 SP2
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
.NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile
.NET Framework 4 Extended

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Versions 3.5 Through 4.6 Can Be Download At The Following Link.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa496123

Version 1.1
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26

Version 2.0
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1639

I'm Sorry Your Problem Has Not Been Solved...
Have You Tried Logging On To Your PC As A Different User Account?
ie. admin or administrator? Or Starting Up With Minimal Drivers. (Using msconfig.exe)
How About Going Back To A Restore Point Prior To The Issue Presenting Itself.

I'm Running Out Of Suggestions.. Norton Utilities 16 Can Find Problems And Fix Most. I Believe You Can Try It For Free. (For A Limited Time) There Are Other Similar Products..

Download Free Trials of Norton Security Software | Norton

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Just google Install .NET x.y where x.y is the version you want. Versions within the same major version do replace earlier versions, so you should only need .NET 2, 3, and 4's latest.

Randy: I was told differently. While .NET 3.5 may include .NET 3.0 and 2.0, they will run side-by-side.

On this specific PC, I have:
.NET Framework 2.0 SP2
.NET Framework 3.0 SP2
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
.NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile
.NET Framework 4 Extended

Yes... That is correct... My bad... They still need to be loaded.

HamDaughter

Ok . . . The following versions are supposedly now installed:

4 Client
4 Full
2 SP2
3.5 (includes 2 and 3)
4.6 Advanced

The other versions it either says 'incompatible with this version' or 'this version is already installed'.

Sentinel still doesn't work - it still just opens a little window that says 'Sentinel has stopped working. Searching for solution' . . . this window is up for about 5 seconds and disappears and then nothing else ever happens.

Don't have any other User Accounts - should I make a new one just for testing? How can I sign on as just an administrator or something? My dad's User Account/Profile is already an administrator!

HamDaughter

I DL'd NU16 and ran the things it suggested (registry scan, hard drive scan, privacy scan, etc) and it deleted a bunch of stuff and fixed some things . . . Sentinel still won't open, though. :/

Voyager

Have you tried installing it under your dad's account? I've never had to deal with installing as a secondary user. I think one of the questions on Sentinel is whether it can be used by everyone or just the admin, but I'm not positive about that.

HamDaughter

There is only one account on the computer - my dad's! And it's an administrator! Everything I've ever done on the computer is on this one account!

I did notice when uninstalling and reinstalling Sentinel 5 billion times over the last 2 months that there is an option to install for 'Everyone' or 'Just Me' and I've considered trying 'Just Me' (instead of the default 'Everyone'), but I figured it wouldn't make a difference since there's only one account anyway . . .

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I believe (If it were me) I'd try asking a question @ the Uniden Site.
Here: FAQs - Uniden Customer Support

And another option is to use ARC536/ARC536PRO, I recommend the Pro version.
You'll be able to program your FL's and the rest.. just won't get weekly full database updates; Nor firmware updates. It will do everything else @ least until you get the Sentinel software running.
You can use it for 15 days free (I think).
ARC536 software for Uniden BCD536HP and BCD436HP scanners Sentinel HomePatrol Home Patrol free demo software Uniden 436 536 HP

Last edited:

HamDaughter

I sent an email question to Uniden like 3 weeks ago - through that exact site you suggested, I think! I have heard nothing!

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I've re-read the entire post, perhaps your hard drive has some bad sectors that need repaired. have you run chkdsk on the OS HD? right click on C: in opened explorer window select properties then the tools tab. select error checking. check both boxes automatically fix & scan & fix bad sectors. then start. you will have to reboot & let it run. after it's finished and booted up you can find the results in c:\system volume information\chkdisk you may have to change permissions to view it. open the newest log. if it found and corrected errors you may need to run again until it finds no errors. then "maybe" it will run after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.