At wit's end - 'Sentinel Has Stopped Working'!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
another suggestion: go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Uniden\BCDx36HP Sentinel folder, right click the BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe file & select properties. then the Compatibility Tab. check the run as administrator box & the Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows 7. If that doesn't work try Windows XP (SP 3) setting.

HamDaughter

No hard disk errors found.

Still doesn't work with compatibility Win 7 or Win XP SP3 . . .

This has officially moved on from exasperating to humorous . . . lol . . .

HamDaughter

Ok so I'm kind of figuring out the Event Viewer thing and I found like a million of these Sentinel error events - one of them has this in the details:

Fault bucket 128883501061, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: bcdx36hp_sentinel.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 52d650a7
P4: System.Configuration
P5: 2.0.0.0
P6: 554af8df
P7: 1a9
P8: 4d
P9: IOIBMURHYNRXKW0ZXKYRVFN0BOYYUFOW
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Local\Temp\WER403E.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_bcdx36hp_sentine_aae1cfe571954c54612102be81f9f7cb5dfd835_00000000_0a0842be

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 00859b00-7a62-11e5-8282-2c600c904d72
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: ef9a8a3f56aa33cf9140438717f3b17f

Does any of this mean anything to anyone? The video you posted says to just Clear the Log File . . . so if I go in a clear every single log dealing with Sentinel, the program might work?

What else can I do in Event Viewer?

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Have you uninstalled AND removed the files at c:\program data\Uniden\Homepatrol_Sentinel ??

You need to set Windows explorer to SHOW HIDDEN FILES or ITEMS to be able to see that folder....

I did this, rebooted and re-installed and cured my issues where the prog wouldn't start all of a sudden

HamDaughter

My dad's doesn't say Homepatrol - it says 'BCDx36HP Sentinel', but yes - Hidden Files are shown and I've deleted every file/folder I could find and uninstalled and then reinstalled . . . no help . . .

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Have you uninstalled AND removed the files at c:\program data\Uniden\Homepatrol_Sentinel ??

You need to set Windows explorer to SHOW HIDDEN FILES or ITEMS to be able to see that folder....

I did this, rebooted and re-installed and cured my issues where the prog wouldn't start all of a sudden

this would be the folder for you. if pwscott is correct..

C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
perhaps there are other locations that retain uniden files despite running uninstall. try searching your entire pc for remains after you've uninstalled it (one more time). search the entire c drive (or computer) for uniden and delete the folders that remain. in program files, documents, app data, program data, users, ect.. Then run Norton Utilities again until no problems remain. Then Reboot And run it again. Then try installing the newest version. it's gotta work!

BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Voyager

At this point I think I would recommend using another PC or a complete OS reinstall.

There is obviously some issue (as yet unidentified) with that PC that it refuses to run the program.

I think everything else has been suggested and tried.

SCPD

QRT
It is just me as an IT guy but I would have wiped the computer 2 weeks ago and reinstalled. Maybe after all this time .. it is just time ?

I myself do a system image and multiple backups 'of all my stuff' every night just for times like this.

Yes I am paranoid and overly cautious. Probably cause I have had to fix too many issues like this in the past.

But it is 100% automated .. so no effort involved. You should look into a solid backup routine once this is all over with.

Windows 10 will do it very well for you.

Oh .. the anti-virus software, you get what you pay for likely applies here. I too got burnt once due to such happenings. Burnt once .. not twice.

Wish you luck, but this has been a crazy *** thread.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've been following this, but have had no suggestions beyond what has already been suggested. It isn't a Sentinel issue. It has something to do with the specific system, and isn't something Uniden support is going to be able to help with. (And, their help would consist of sending the question to me to see if I could determine the issue...and so for I cannot.)

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere back you had mentioned that there was only one account set up on the PC.

Before you give up or rebuild the PC, it might be worth creating a new (Administrator) account, logging on to that account and try the Sentinel install again.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere back you had mentioned that there was only one account set up on the PC.

Before you give up or rebuild the PC, it might be worth creating a new (Administrator) account, logging on to that account and try the Sentinel install again.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or try enabling the built in administrator account that has full rights to the computer.

MStep

Sorry that I have not followed the technical details contained in the entire thread, but have you tried running Sentinel in the "Safe Mode"? If that has been asked before, my apologies. I am trying to get one of my friends to install Sentinel on his Windows 10 machine--- he has done all of the Windows updates and I'd like to see if it runs on his computer.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If there is only one account, isn't it by default an Administrator account?

Depends how it was setup... But the built in admin account is a fully elevated account. it does have more control than a user account with admin rights.
It is definitely an account you don't want to use for everyday use. If the user account gets hosed... Then you at least have it to try and get things fixed.

If it's the only account on the computer... Yes it would be a user with admin rights... But not like the built in one.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The one oddball cause I have not seen mentioned in this thread (unless I overlooked it) is Data Execution Prevention (DEP). That setting is under Advanced System Settings->System Properties-Advanced Tab->Performance in the Control Panel (that's for Windows 7. I don't have a WIndows 10 machine to check, but it may be similar).

While I have not seen DEP mentioned in Sentinel problem threads, it has come up several times regarding other software programs for various other scanners.

HamDaughter

Ok so I tried SafeMode and it won't even open in SafeMode!! Same exact little 5-second 'Program has stopped working, etc' window thing!

And yes there's only one account on the computer and it *is* the administrator account. Under 'User Accounts Settings' there is an option to sign in as a 'Local User' instead - I guess instead of the Microsoft Account? How do I make this 'built-in' admin account or confirm that my dad's account IS the built-in admin account?

Also, the DEP thing "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and Services only" is the option that is checked.

I haven't had the time to back his stuff up and reset the laptop, but will do it soon if no one comes up with the magic solution (which I'm no longer hopeful for). We do back up all our stuff on an external HDD every once in a while - it's probably been at least 6 months since either of us has backed up, though.

SCPD

QRT
Also, the DEP thing "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and Services only" is the option that is checked.

DEP will notify you if it has blocked your application, and Sentinel is not the type of program that would get blocked by DEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.