Back on the Air..

Status
Not open for further replies.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I'm planning to use it for all modes including digital so installed the Leo Bodnar board for that reason.

My comparison was based on a few factors, but not because I felt the Icom was bad in any way. I just felt the 101MP and D edged it out. One of my criteria was buttons and knobs. I realize this is kind of silly but I liked that there was less buried in menus. That being said I think Icom did a better job with their menus. The 101D/MP menus are usable but Icom did a better job with making them easier to use. Kenwood did the best job with making the EQ (both RX and TX) perfect with an actual graphic EQ on the screen. It's really a minor niggle since you really only setup your TX/RX EQ once and you rarely if ever go back to it. But Yaesu could of taken a cue from Kenwood on this front.

My very first Icom was an IC-735 I got the day I was licensed, I actually loved it. My next radio was an IC-706 MK2G which I absolutely loved and that followed up with an IC-7000 which is still one of my favorite mobile rigs ever made (I loathed the 7100 and still do, it was a downgrade from the 7000 as far as I'm concerned). Nearly all of my base transceivers have been other brands, the TS-990 was a no brainer vs the IC-7850 it was cheaper by about $3000 and arguably just as good or better than the 7850. All of that said, for the money and buttons and knobs not withstanding the IC-7610 is perhaps arguably better based on features, and is about $300 less. I guess it comes down to VC-Tune on Main vs dual Digi-Sel on Main and Sub on the Icom honestly, at least for unique features. But that was my take away.

How are you planning to use the IC-9700? Some reports I've read indicate that the frequency stability issue is only a problem if you are running narrowband data modes (like FT8, FT4, etc.) on 1200 MHz.

As for IC-7610 vs. FTdx-101, I can't make a comparison. I will say that I've had my IC-7610 for about two years. I've had absolutely no issues and the performance has met my expectations. My Icom HF radio transition has been IC-746Pro to IC-7600 to IC-7610 and they keep getting better with every step I've made.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
My opinion with radios is, they're not bad unless they're broke or can't do what you want them to. Really this applies to everything but since we're talking about radios. Anyway, if it works and does what you want no need to change it. Ham radio is a lot of keeping up with the Joneses. Lets be honest our radios are for a hobby and practically they will never be valuable to anyone but us. So if your 7600 or your old boat anchor Heathkit 2M/6M (I have my dads) transmitter works for you, why change. At least that's how I feel about the whole thing.

Congrats on thew QSO!

I'd really like to upgrade my 8 year old IC-7600 to the IC-7610, but no matter how hard I try, I can't practically justify it. The 7600 still servers me well.

I do a lot of Q65 using a 30 second transmit interval. Without the Bodnar board others can see my signal on their waterfall trace 'bending' by up to 20 Hz as my 9700 warms up during TX. (As a side note I managed a 300 mile Q65 contact just last night on 432 MHz).

The Bodnar board fixes it and gets the frequency stability down to 1 Hz. But, the fact that you have to buy third party hardware to get the radio working 'right', is a sore point with most and looks bad for Icom.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I understand the hearing loss, as I was a junior high band director. Thanks for the reply, acyddrop.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I guess it comes down to VC-Tune on Main vs dual Digi-Sel on Main and Sub on the Icom honestly...
I can't comment on the VC-Tune. However, I haven't been bothered by strong close-in transmitters, so I've never used the Digi-Sel. There is a guy about a mile from me who runs some power on 80-40-20m, but he's a DXer, not a rag-chewer, so he doesn't bother me very much.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak to Digi-Sel and how it's intended to work, but it looks similar in principal anyway to VC-Tune. VC-Tune is great at eliminating noise and other junk splattering in on top of the signal you want. I thought it was a gimmick honestly until I used it and I'm truly impressed. The DNR in the Yaesu is amazing but kick in the VC-Tune and it's next level.

With regard to power I generally run at whatever the radio puts out at 100% about 90% of the time (so 200 watts in this case), I'm also happy to turn it down to 50% and run 100 watts. That said there's times when the amplifier comes in handy, but I usually don't run it anywhere near peak power. So in the case of the Mercury IIIs 1200W SSB, I'm closer to 500-600 watts PEP (I don't have it yet but my past habits with amplifiers in mind). The exception to my sparing use of power is the next phase of my ham life EME. I'm hoping to be able to run a quad M2 Yagi setup on 2 meters or 70cm and if I go down that route I'd like to run 800-1000 watts for EME, pretty much all the time. But that's still a ways out for me but I've put a lot of thought into it and read a lot.

I can't comment on the VC-Tune. However, I haven't been bothered by strong close-in transmitters, so I've never used the Digi-Sel. There is a guy about a mile from me who runs some power on 80-40-20m, but he's a DXer, not a rag-chewer, so he doesn't bother me very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.