• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng not Transmitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrogen18

I've been using my Baofeng BFF8-HP for a while now, and I recently received my technician's license. I called CQ several times and got no response. I became frustrated and tried to talk on a frequency I knew was used by a local crowd in Connecticut (I live on Long Island, near the north shore). I can hear them crystal clear. I tried to enter the conversation at one point when it was stopped, and one guy was away for a bit while the other was standing by, and still got no response. Then the other guy came back and they both were talking. I used the proper technique to enter an ongoing conversation, and neither of them made any acknowledgment that I was trying to contact them. I've come to the conclusion that my radio is not transmitting properly. I have it hooked up to a radio shack antenna ( https://www.radioshack.com/collecti...ts/radioshack-center-loaded-telescoping-whip-) antenna that says it can transmit on the 2m band, on which I'm currently transmitting. Could the men I'm talking to be using a repeater that's not allowing me to talk on it? I'm operating on 8 watts, and my antenna is quite a few feet off the roof of my 2 story house. I'm using RG-58 coaxial cable. I'm confused as to why it appears that other people cannot hear me, or that I cannot transmit. All help is much appreciated, thank you for reading.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
They were very likely transmitting through a repeater and could not hear you (assuming your radio and antenna are working properly). To use the repeater, you will need to transmit on the repeater's "input" frequency (not the "output" frequency you were listening to) and you will need to use the correct CTCSS tone for this repeater. You might be able to find the information for this repeater on RepeaterBook.com.

Hydrogen18

I'll check that, thank you. I'm still wondering why I never got any replies to my attempts at CQ though, maybe my range just isn't as good as it should be.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
A couple of possible reasons why they could not hear you:
1. Many repeaters also transmit a CTCSS tone. If so it is common to configure your radio to only unsquelch if this tone is present.
2. The telescopic antenna you are using needs to be extended to the correct length for 2M. Also this antenna was really not designed for outside use. I don't know how well it will hold up outside.

Hydrogen18

A couple of possible reasons why they could not hear you:
1. Many repeaters also transmit a CTCSS tone. If so it is common to configure your radio to only unsquelch if this tone is present.
2. The telescopic antenna you are using needs to be extended to the correct length for 2M. Also this antenna was really not designed for outside use. I don't know how well it will hold up outside.

Okay, thank you, I am actually planning on buying a better diamond antenna soon.

mm

Not to mention that if you call CQ on a REPEATER you will be either lectured or ignored, simply give your callsign with no CQ.

Also if you do mention that you are using a Boecrap radio some repeater groups my not care whereas others may snob you, maybe its wise to not mention your equipment on the air.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Which repeater are you trying to access? With that knowledge, someone from your area might be able to help.

Also.. See if the repeater is run by a club. If you join the club you'll get to go to meetings and meet the people. It makes it easier to chat when you can put a face to a voice.

Hydrogen18

Not to mention that if you call CQ on a REPEATER you will be either lectured or ignored, simply give your callsign with no CQ.

Also if you do mention that you are using a Boecrap radio some repeater groups my not care whereas others may snob you, maybe its wise to not mention your equipment on the air.

I've done neither of those yet luckily, thanks for the heads up. I'm planning eventually to buy myself a better transceiver as well.

Hydrogen18

Which repeater are you trying to access? With that knowledge, someone from your area might be able to help.

Also.. See if the repeater is run by a club. If you join the club you'll get to go to meetings and meet the people. It makes it easier to chat when you can put a face to a voice.

It appears it's this repeater: SCARA
Thanks!

KD8DVR

Also, rg58 is a very poor choice for coax on UHF/VHF. Most of your signal is being lost.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Using West Haven as an example:
[ West Haven / W1GB - 146.010 MHz in / 146.610 MHz out PL 110.9 ]

You would need to configure your radio to transmit on 146.010 MHz with a PL (aka CTCSS) tone of 110.9 and receive on 146.610 MHz to access the repeater.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
All good hams should have good test equipment. Minimum decent SWR/power meter, or at least power meter even for hand held. Frequency counter may be good as well to determine if the transmit frequency is accurate especially with CCRs. If you have scanner can check f the PL code is correct as I have seen radios not transmit proper PL.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Sorry if this is off-base, but as a new Technician, are you clear on how a repeater works? Essentially, you receive the repeater on one frequency and transmit to it on another. As mentioned by others, you may also need to program an access tone.

In addition, many of the chinese radios require - shall we say - unusual methods of programming functional repeater channels and tones. You may need to do some research on the best way to program channels into your radio. Best of luck and welcome to the hobby.

John AC4JK

Hans13

Hydrogen18, trust me, you probably don't want to talk to such self-righteous buttholes anyway. ;) Don't be ashamed of your radio gear. It is what it is. If they cannot accept it, well, that says a lot about them. The first indication that you're dealing with a self-righteous ham sandwich is when they use cutesy names to put down your gear. It's childish.

Check out Miklor Radio Information Site - Miklor for information on programming repeaters into your handheld, antenna information, etc. F8HP 8W - Miklor

Status
Not open for further replies.