BCD325P2 vs BCD996P2 on simulcast

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
Before you say anything; yes, I know they both are not made for simulcast but let me tell you. I recently bought the 325 and tried it out and I didn't have the best time on simulcast in my area but it worked! I atleast heard 70-75% of the conversation, until I traveled a bit with it and it sucked, with some places only hearing about 1%. Not bad when moving, but terrible while stationary in some areas. So after 3 days, I sent it back and now I'm planing to get the 436 because I heard It works a little bit better on those systems, and also, it's much more user friendly! and It's still within affordability. I would get the SDS100 but I'm a little impatient right now due to going on vacation in a month. But after my vacation, I'm going to get a mobile scanner and I heard that alot of people like the 996 and I was wondering if I should get it even though it's portable counterpart failed. Or am I better off getting something like BCD536HP? I know I made a post about having people vote between a BCT15X or a WS1065. I just mainly need a good road trippin' scanner is all.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Before you say anything; yes, I know they both are not made for simulcast but let me tell you. I recently bought the 325 and tried it out and I didn't have the best time on simulcast in my area but it worked! I atleast heard 70-75% of the conversation, until I traveled a bit with it and it sucked, with some places only hearing about 1%. Not bad when moving, but terrible while stationary in some areas. So after 3 days, I sent it back and now I'm planing to get the 436 because I heard It works a little bit better on those systems, and also, it's much more user friendly! and It's still within affordability. I would get the SDS100 but I'm a little impatient right now due to going on vacation in a month. But after my vacation, I'm going to get a mobile scanner and I heard that alot of people like the 996 and I was wondering if I should get it even though it's portable counterpart failed. Or am I better off getting something like BCD536HP? I know I made a post about having people vote between a BCT15X or a WS1065. I just mainly need a good road trippin' scanner is all.
If you are going to use the scanner for, among other thins, road trips to other areas, then go with a database scanner, either the BCD536HP, or the SDS200. The 436HP is a little better on simulcast than the 325P2. I would expect the same performance for the 536HP vs the 996P2.

With one of the database scanners (the x36HP or SDS series), you can use a GPS & the main database to let location & range access systems along your road trip's path. For the 996P2, or 325P2, you would have to program all of the systems along (and in range of) your path in order to let a GPS automatically enable, or disable, systems, and their sites & channels. While the 536HP (and 436HP) are not optimized for dealing with simulcast, there will be areas, and systems, where they wold work satisfactorily. If your trips out of your area take you to, or through, large metro areas, odds are pretty much dead certain that you will encounter Simulcast systems, many of which are P25 Phase II. When at a fixed location, like at home, you may be able to negate simulcast issues with one of several antenna gymnastics. Your options when traveling in your vehicle are much more restricted, and usually not very effective.

Chris0516

If you are going to use the scanner for, among other things, road trips to other areas, then go with a database scanner, either the BCD536HP, or the SDS200. The 436HP is a little better on simulcast than the 325P2. I would expect the same performance for the 536HP vs the 996P2.
When it comes to simulcast. My 436HP is leaps n' bounds, better than my 325p2.

west-pac

Receiving simulcast on a non-simulcast scanner is all about reception. It doesn't matter if it's a RS scanner, a 325p2, or a 536HP. If your reception is correct you will receive it. Saying a 436 works better than a 325 on simulcast is like saying a Ford works better than a Chevy while driving between stoplights. You can make either, or both, be successful, or be a failure. If one of them is successful, you can make the other successful as well.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If your reception is correct you will receive it.
It all boils down to your location relative to two or more simulcasting towers. One may have best luck on the outer fringes of coverage or in a zone where only one tower is within range. Regarding antenna, lesser can sometimes be better when dealing with simulcast LSM

west-pac

It all boils down to your location relative to two or more simulcasting towers. One may have best luck on the outer fringes of coverage or in a zone where only one tower is within range. Regarding antenna, lesser can sometimes be better when dealing with simulcast LSM
Yep, that is what I said, in a lot less words.

If you give people too much info when they're not ready for it they just get confused.