BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
a) Registering the scanner has nothing to do with this topic. Just go to the page in this thread's first post and follow those instructions.

b) If the mod interferes with the ability to make the repair, the mod will either be undone or the RTC repair will be at some cost.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Received an EMAIL today my BCD536HP is on it's way back. Thanks UPMAN and Uniden for taking care of this RTC problem.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Received an EMAIL today my BCD536HP is on it's way back. Thanks UPMAN and Uniden for taking care of this RTC problem.

Good news. Did you have the dim display issue as well?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Mine is returning also. Repair ticket shows...

Parts Used
BATTERY MODIFICATION
D415 D416 D417 D418

So I'm guessing they replaced the LED's also, even though I didn't report that as an issue...nice proactive move.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yes, those are the part numbers for the four display LEDs. Good to know they are looking at the issue.

Parts Used
BATTERY MODIFICATION
D415 D416 D417 D418

So I'm guessing they replaced the LED's also, even though I didn't report that as an issue...nice proactive move.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator

Parts Used
BATTERY MODIFICATION
D415 D416 D417 D418

And since I'm in Texas I "should" have it back tomorrow.

wise871

Database Admin
Yes, those are the part numbers for the four display LEDs. Good to know they are looking at the issue.

I'm curious if it was the LED themselves or the part that provides power to the LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious if it was the LED themselves or the part that provides power to the LED.
The same for me. My unit is out of warranty, and I wouldn't mind doing the replacement myself, but I'd like to fix the correct thing, and just ONCE.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Those part numbers are the schematic part numbers for the four LEDs that illuminate the display. There is another thread that has pictures of a radio with the front removed and the numbers are clear to see. What that information doesn't tell us is if Uniden made a change to the design specifying different LEDs than were originally used.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Got mine back, set the clock, let it run a few minutes and shut it off.Turned it back on and...it kept the time. Hopefully this puts an end to this issue.

The LCD backlight is definitely a different color (to my eyes at least). Not worse, not better, just different.

troymail

Silent Key
The LCD backlight is definitely a different color (to my eyes at least). Not worse, not better, just different.

From what I recall, you didn't feel the LEDs had a problem when you sent it in and didn't request that to be looked at or repaired... I assume you don't believe there was a gradual "dimming" - correct?

Curious then why if you didn't ask to have them do anything with the LEDs, they did anyway (and apparently used the same original parts).

Very curious.

Interested in hearing other reports for a situation where the user believed they did have the dimming issue and gets the "fix".

BTW - what was the total turn-around time from shipping it to back in your hands?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
From what I recall, you didn't feel the LEDs had a problem when you sent it in and didn't request that to be looked at or repaired... I assume you don't believe there was a gradual "dimming" - correct?

Curious then why if you didn't ask to have them do anything with the LEDs, they did anyway (and apparently used the same original parts).

Very curious.

Interested in hearing other reports for a situation where the user believed they did have the dimming issue and gets the "fix".

BTW - what was the total turn-around time from shipping it to back in your hands?

I always kept my display on the dimmest setting, so it's possible I wouldn't have noticed a dimming (assuming the reports of users with the issue used the highest setting). I'm guessing they knew all the LED's would fail at some point, so the replacement was proactive, more or less.

Total turnaround was 5 days (shipped on Monday, received back on Friday), but I'm in Texas and all UPS is next day in-state. So they received it Tuesday and shipped it back on Thursday.

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Just got mine back from Uniden and 1" of the left side of screen has a blueish tint and the rest of the screen is white, is that normal?

There was nothing wrong with the display when I sent it in, I sent it for the clock issue and for them to look at low volume in the headphone jack. Regarding the headphone jack, they wrote a note that they found nothing wrong with the headphone jack, and I need to use "noise cancelling headphones".

Last edited:

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Just got mine back from Uniden and 1" of the left side of screen has a blueish tint and the rest of the screen is white, is that normal?

There was nothing wrong with the display when I sent it in, I sent it for the clock issue and for them to look at low volume in the headphone jack. Regarding the headphone jack, they wrote a note that they found nothing wrong with the headphone jack, and I need to use "noise cancelling headphones".

Mine is "whitish" now, so I would say they didn't change all of your LED's.

Oh yeah, did you get a Uniden pen? I did. :D

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Seeing that the OP reports a different color (and not just a brightness change) makes me think they may be using a different model LED now.
Then another person reports that only part of his backlight is a different color now also makes me think the same. But if Uniden did source a new model LED, why did they not change all of the other person's backlights?
That would be weird seeing a display that had a blue tint on one side and white on the other.
Unless they truly only have a handful of a new model LEDs, that does not sound correct that they would only change some and not all!
I guess it could be human error and someone forgot to do the other side.

If they have come up with a new model LED, I'd love to know the manufacturers part number as I'd still change them out myself.
Warranty or not, I'd hate to send the thing back and get a radio back that now has a multicolor back light!

I know many have been following this back light problem thread and are now running in low or medium light output mode but has anyone noticed that when you go into mass storage mode and are working with Sentinel that it forces the back lights into the Bright level?
I'm sure Uniden does that so you can see messages while doing firmware updates and had your back lights set to off.
Once you enter Mass Storage Mode, you cannot adjust the back light level from high until you disconnect and let the radio restart.
So if you are working with the radio in Sentinel, your back lights will be running on bright the entire time it is connected and in mass storage mode.

Very curious.

wise871

Database Admin

Can you post a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.