BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Regarding the headphone jack, they wrote a note that they found nothing wrong with the headphone jack, and I need to use "noise cancelling headphones".

That's interesting as I'd swear I recall a thread where they found that some noise cancelling headphones don't work at all or made matters worse! I think they even recommended that you don't use NC type headphones.

That could have been so long ago though that it pre-dates the headphone jack recall which could have fixed that issue far all I remember. It seems like the headphone jack issue just happened a couple months ago in my mind.
Time really does fly!

I've always been able to use a pair of Sony NC headphones that work fantastic if I must listen in a noisy room.
I don't need them often and usually use them so I don't disturb others instead of using them to cancel room noise such as comes from all the cooling fans running near my main radio bench.

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Just got mine back from Uniden and 1" of the left side of screen has a blueish tint and the rest of the screen is white, is that normal?

I looked at the LEDs across the top of the screen and the far left one is blue, the others white. I'm going to try and contact Uniden to get it fixed.

Last edited:

Jake68111

I got my shipping label email on a Friday, sent it on Monday. From Illinois it took till Thursday for Uniden to get it (the shipping label you print has a tracking number, which if you go to the UPS website, can be tracked to Uniden). Got an email on Friday saying Uniden has placed it in its repair center. The same email gave a SRO # which allows you to utilize Uniden's Repair tracking page which outlines what has been done with the unit and other things such as an estimated ship date.

The procedure, emails and website they have in place is quite convenient, IMHO and keeps you in the loop from the time you ship it to them, till the time its back in your possession.

I have never done something like this with anything I've owned but my hat goes off to Uniden for the protocol they have put in place to make this as painless as possible.

I'm sure that the time between you submit a request and the time they send a shipping label truly depends on how many orders for repair they received and the amount of replacement parts they have on hand at the time, as stated previously by UPMAN.

From the time I submitted my request till the time I got a label, was about a week and a half.

Last edited:

AC2OY

I got my shipping label email on a Friday, sent it on Monday. From Illinois it took till Thursday for Uniden to get it (the shipping label you print has a tracking number, which if you go to the UPS website, can be tracked to Uniden). Got an email on Friday saying Uniden has placed it in its repair center. The same email gave a SRO # which allows you to utilize Uniden's Repair tracking page which outlines what has been done with the unit and other things such as an estimated ship date.

The procedure, emails and website they have in place is quite convenient, IMHO and keeps you in the loop from the time you ship it to them, till the time its back in your possession.

I have never done something like this with anything I've owned but my hat goes off to Uniden for the protocol they have put in place to make this as painless as possible.

I'm sure that the time between you submit a request and the time they send a shipping label truly depends on how many orders for repair they received and the amount of replacement parts they have on hand at the time, as stated previously by UPMAN.

From the time I submitted my request till the time I got a label, was about a week and a half.

That's cool I should see my label any day now.

Eugene

I have seen the question asked several times but cannot seem to find where it has been answered, Maybe I missed it but the question was, now that the clock and dimming issues have been identified, have subsequent models had the fixes done in production so that newer models coming off the assembly line won't have this issue. This is something a prospective buyer should know. Thanks.

Eugene KG4AVE

marksmith

You would think it would be well known in these forums if that were the case, which makes me think...

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

XTS3000

I have seen the question asked several times but cannot seem to find where it has been answered, Maybe I missed it but the question was, now that the clock and dimming issues have been identified, have subsequent models had the fixes done in production so that newer models coming off the assembly line won't have this issue. This is something a prospective buyer should know. Thanks.

Eugene KG4AVE

It took Uniden months to source a few thousand parts to fix existing scanners. If the factory already had these parts, you'd think Uniden would have the factory send the USA repair center the new parts to repair existing scanners.

Even if the Uniden factory got the new parts today, it would take a month or more before the "fixed" scanners arrive here from the cargo containers. Then the scanners need to go to distributors, which would take a few weeks. Then the distributors would want to get rid of the defective scanners before selling the fixed ones, which could take months or more.

I just called my sales rep at A1 and Ramco and asked how the 436 and 536's were selling. Both replied "we can't give these scanners away" & "we reduced the wholesale price so low, we make only a few dollars on each x36HP now and still can't get rid of these". That says sales are slow. If sales are slow, it's going to take a long time for the existing stock of potentially defective scanners to be sold first.

If it took Uniden repair center months to source a small quantity of the good parts, a larger parts order would take well longer than a few months for the factory to obtain.

Pure speculation, but I don't think we will see factory fixed x36HP's in the consumer distribution chain for at least 8 - 12 months.

I highly doubt Uniden or Upman will ever reveal what serial numbers are the "fixed" scanners. If Uniden revealed this info to the public, people would immediately stop buying any x36HP's to wait for the fixed ones. This would hurt their sales and no company wants that.

Last edited:

marksmith

Sounds like a fairly reasoned analysis. And a good reason why we may never know, as these things can be in inventory for a long time, especially if sales are not strong.

Mark

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a fairly reasoned analysis. And a good reason why we may never know, as these things can be in inventory for a long time, especially if sales are not strong.

Mark
True, and even if sales are not lacking, old stock may be around somewhere. How many times have we seen "new in box" GRE manufactured scanners, whether under their models (PSR-500 & PSR-600), or made for Radio Shack (Pro-106 & Pro-197), surface at one web page or another, long after GRE was dead & gone, headstone in place, etc.

MStep

I believe that the Uniden philosophy here is that if you buy a new scanner, and it is working "out of the box" as it should, you are going to be covered by the existing warranty, which is currently one year. As you know, I have been advocating for a three year warranty period. If you receive a unit which is somehow defective, you should be able to return it to the place of purchase for an exchange or refund. I personally find that Amazon is very good in terms of accepting back defective units.

Regardless of the warranty period, and although Uniden has been somewhat ambiguous in their messaging, I believe that any unit sent back at any time for either the RTC or dimming problem will be covered by Uniden. As others have stated, we are not going to be notified of serial numbers of units which are coming off the production line with the new parts already installed--- in fact Uniden may be taking a gamble and not currently modifying units already in production.

In that regard, we could use a little more clarity from Uniden about the points I have mentioned; nevertheless, I went ahead several months ago and bought both a 436 and 536 because nothing compares to the ability of these units in terms of features and functions.

I believe that is the current state of affairs regarding the x36 line--- my suggestion to those would be to go ahead with your purchases knowing what the issues are, check out your units thoroughly once you receive them to make sure everything is working right, and then enjoy the hobby of monitoring with the caveat that it would be a good idea to run the display at less than maximum brightness.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I highly doubt Uniden or Upman will ever reveal what serial numbers are the "fixed" scanners. If Uniden revealed this info to the public, people would immediately stop buying any x36HP's to wait for the fixed ones. This would hurt their sales and no company wants that.
As others have stated, we are not going to be notified of serial numbers of units which are coming off the production line with the new parts already installed

It's entirely possible that they will give out that info in this campaign.

When the headphone repair campaign was announced, Uniden clearly identified the serial numbers affected by that issue to the public in several posts:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...p-headphone-related-issues-8.html#post2178604

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...p-headphone-related-issues-4.html#post2134413

Last edited:

XTS3000

Mark

I honestly think it will take someone who just had their 436 and/or 536 sent in for the fix and open the just fixed scanner to see what was changed and replaced and compare that with a newly purchased unit. The 536 shouldn't be a big deal, but the 436 is much harder to get to the RTC circuit. I suspect we will find out about the 536's serial numbers with fixed RTC first.

Doubt Uniden would reveal what unit serial numbers are the "fixed" scanners...... When/if they are ever released. The x36HP line is starting to get old and maybe they are concentrating on the next "flagship" scanner?

Voyager

Reminds me of the commercial "I'm going to retire in 12 years".

The x36 is not old.

Uniden really isn't the key point in older scanners - the point is how long until dealers sell out of their current stock. That may take years in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.