BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
My 436 was sent back in to fix the ADJUST ERROR and the display lamp brightness (which was actually bright BEFORE it was sent in for the clock recall).Uniden received my unit last Wednesday April 18 but still hadn't received any confirmation from Uniden and nothing showed up on the Repair Status Web page so I called Uniden directly and spoke to a guy named Andrew. He finally confirmed they did have it and the expected shipping of my re-repair ed unit is scheduled for MAY 18TH ..a whole month from the time they received it.. then the fact I am in Montreal Canada it will take at least another 2 weeks after that to get it back to me ..because Uniden waits till they have a bunch of Canadian repairs before they drop ship them to Lectron in Peterborough Ont. Before they shipped back out to the actual owners.
So including the 1 week it took to ship it UPS from Montreal to Texas..the 1 month estimated repair time then 2-3 weeks to get back to me I will be without my radio for 7 to 8 weeks because Uniden didn't bother fully testing the radio after the initial Clock Recall repair.. when I was without my radio for almost 7 weeks.
You'd think Uniden would give priority to people sending back units to be re repaired due to Uniden's mistake.
To say I am not a happy Uniden customer would be putting it mildly.
As for the new scanner due to come out in the spring. .I would suggest people wait until they have been on the market for 6-8 months BEFORE buying it..in order to make sure all the "Bugs" have been ironed out (& we all know there will be) till at least the 2nd production run.

mule1075

Feed Provider
As for the new scanner due to come out in the spring. .I would suggest people wait until they have been on the market for 6-8 months BEFORE buying it..in order to make sure all the "Bugs" have been ironed out (& we all know there will be) till at least the 2nd production run.

Where can I buy the crystal ball you have that told you that. I want to play the lottery and I sure could use it.

Voyager

And how do you know when the 2nd production run will be the only units available from any distributor?

troymail

Silent Key

I concur - my last 3 Unidens (396T, 436 and 536) all had to be returned for design/factory/production issues -- and the 436 STILL has a problem (the well documented missing capacitor/noise issue) that Uniden hasn't really accepted responsibility for - at least not outright. And that issue wasn't really exposed (heavily) until years later when the DMR upgrade came out (give alot of DMR/business is in the 450-470 range).

People will still wait in line to buy the new radio - and deal with the issues... I'll probably pick one up at some point but I'll be waiting for a while this time....

Voyager

I would go by the Date code within the serial # ones that will indicate a 2019 production run

That will tell you the year, but not the run. If you mean 2nd year run, that would be possible. I'm sure they have several runs per year. Maybe not, but I bet they do - or at least several some years.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
My 436 was sent back in to fix the ADJUST ERROR and the display lamp brightness (which was actually bright BEFORE it was sent in for the clock recall).Uniden received my unit last Wednesday April 18 but still hadn't received any confirmation from Uniden and nothing showed up on the Repair Status Web page so I called Uniden directly and spoke to a guy named Andrew. He finally confirmed they did have it and the expected shipping of my re-repair ed unit is scheduled for MAY 18TH ..a whole month from the time they received it.. then the fact I am in Montreal Canada it will take at least another 2 weeks after that to get it back to me ..because Uniden waits till they have a bunch of Canadian repairs before they drop ship them to Lectron in Peterborough Ont. Before they shipped back out to the actual owners.
So including the 1 week it took to ship it UPS from Montreal to Texas..the 1 month estimated repair time then 2-3 weeks to get back to me I will be without my radio for 7 to 8 weeks because Uniden didn't bother fully testing the radio after the initial Clock Recall repair.. when I was without my radio for almost 7 weeks.
You'd think Uniden would give priority to people sending back units to be re repaired due to Uniden's mistake.
To say I am not a happy Uniden customer would be putting it mildly.
The return date is based on a default 30-day turnaround, and does not necessarily reflect how long it will actually take. There is no way to provide a definite return date before the tech actually starts working on the unit.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, question kinda related to the repair of the `436HP (patiently waiting for mine to be repaired & returned :)). Will i get a tracking number for it when it`s shipped? I assume i will but i thought i`d ask just to be sure. Thanx! N9NRA

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The return date is based on a default 30-day turnaround, and does not necessarily reflect how long it will actually take. There is no way to provide a definite return date before the tech actually starts working on the unit.

UPDATE for Kirk23: Your scanner is in line to be shipped back to you, today. Note that there was nothing wrong with the backlight. The new backlight (that does not dim over time) has a different color tone than the original.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Hi All.

I got my 436 back today via UPS.

I had a heck of a hard time re-installing the SD card for some reason, but finally got it installed.

Everything seems to be working OK so far.

But I have to say that I don't think the LCD Backlights is all that bright even at the highest setting.

I still seem to have to strain to see the screen with the backlight on.

And before anyone says it.... NO..... It's not old age. :.)

Anyway, this should get me thru until the SDS100 is available.

CorwinScansNM

Terrible to say & this does not sound pretty for Uniden at all but I sent in my Uniden BCD536HP to Uniden for the recall due to the fading backlight that has become very faded & now requires a contrast of 13 on my unit in order to be readable & that too is with the backlight set to HIGH. This was over a month ago from today that I sent it to them for the BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign.

When I received it back from Uniden which was in no time from when I shipped it to them, no repairs were made to my Uniden BCD536HP after sending it in to them hoping that they would actually fix & replace the fading backlight LCD on my scanner that I can see & have been noticing is going out & fading away making it not crisp & clear or bright like the very first day that I first received my BCD536HP & set it up.

Pretty bad & irresponsible of Uniden to not see & notice that the backlight LCD is faded & not looking crisp, clear & bright like it should look when I, myself can easily see the fading backlight LCD from my own eyes when I have to look at it or read on it!!

Last edited:

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
UPDATE for Kirk23: Your scanner is in line to be shipped back to you, today. Note that there was nothing wrong with the backlight. The new backlight (that does not dim over time) has a different color tone than the original.

Thank you Paul...I will advise when it gets to me here in Montreal. .
Though not happy to hear that the new backlight uniden is now using is not as bright as the original. .but if that's what is being supplied now..so be it.
Thanks for the update.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I just got my 2nd BCD536HP back from Uniden for the RTC repair. They also fixed the display. The only problem I had was I couldn't get SD card in. I have run into before. It is just a matter of removing the outer case the loosening the bottom cover. Then I re-tightened the bottom cover making sure as I was pushing the inside bottom cover outward to take the pressure off of the SD card holder. Then I re-installed the outer cover and the card seats fine.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
question re, BCD436HP sent in for RTC battery repair, time frame to get it back?

Hey, i have a question for anyone that can give me an answer :). I sent my BCD436HP in for repair of the failed RTC battery, been waiting patiently for it to be fixed and returned. What i`m wondering is, is there a way to check on where in the repair cycle my unit is? I checked on the "check repair status" link, gave it my reference number, and all it seems to show is that it`s been recieved and entered into the repair center. Sent it in on April 16TH, and it`s now May 5TH. Can someone let me know if this is just the repair shop is running slow (as we say, "running in the numbers" probably due to a lot of units comming in for this issue) or something else? As i said, the repair status page doesn`t seem to be updating to reflect where my unit is at (what stage of the system, in repair, in line to be shipped back). While i can wait for mine to be fixed i wouldn`t mind having it back before i head off to Dayton, but i`m kinda wondering if now i shouldn`t just purchase another `436HP & repurchase my DMR & NXEN keys and pop my SD card from the (stuck in repair limbo) unit and call it good. Thanx :)! N9NRA.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Hey, i have a question for anyone that can give me an answer :). I sent my BCD436HP in for repair of the failed RTC battery, been waiting patiently for it to be fixed and returned. What i`m wondering is, is there a way to check on where in the repair cycle my unit is? I checked on the "check repair status" link, gave it my reference number, and all it seems to show is that it`s been recieved and entered into the repair center. Sent it in on April 16TH, and it`s now May 5TH. Can someone let me know if this is just the repair shop is running slow (as we say, "running in the numbers" probably due to a lot of units comming in for this issue) or something else? As i said, the repair status page doesn`t seem to be updating to reflect where my unit is at (what stage of the system, in repair, in line to be shipped back). While i can wait for mine to be fixed i wouldn`t mind having it back before i head off to Dayton, but i`m kinda wondering if now i shouldn`t just purchase another `436HP & repurchase my DMR & NXEN keys and pop my SD card from the (stuck in repair limbo) unit and call it good. Thanx :)! N9NRA.
The status will update more likely on or near you're estimated ship date. Mine did not update from received to fixed until the day it was getting shipped back to me.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
The status will update more likely on or near you're estimated ship date. Mine did not update from received to fixed until the day it was getting shipped back to me.

Okay :), and how do i find that? will they give me that or do i have to call and (hopefully not) go mono a mono with the custmor (no) service folks? N9NRA

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No one will be able to tell you exactly when your unit will ship back until a tech actually starts working on the returned unit. Until then, the estimated return date is going to be 1 month from when it was logged into the repair system and is shown on your repair status page (http://repair.uniden.com/status.cfm). For most repairs, the repair is completed the same day as the tech gets it. There is no way to know how long any units in front of yours is going to take, though, so no way for anyone to tell you how long before a tech sees it. In most cases, the process takes less than the one month standard estimate.

W5RGP

Okay :), and how do i find that? will they give me that or do i have to call and (hopefully not) go mono a mono with the custmor (no) service folks? N9NRA

I sent my 536 in last year and had it back in my hands about 1 week from the day I dropped it off at ups

Getting ready to send my 436 in now just gotta find a ups store along my route I’m an over the road truck driver so gotta find one I can get a 53foot trailer into lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.