BCD436HP Repair Campaign failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Right Greg, I'm quite convinced most undelivered packages are "lost." I guess I have good neighbors. What you described happens to me sometimes. Though I think most of the time, they get it to me before I even notice, with me only realizing after the fact when they mention they brought it over. Though I will say that a couple of times a "lost" package did show up weeks after the fact (and I ship them back to the seller, btw).

I did some searching on this, and it appears the affidavit applies to USPS and some third party insurance companies.

I've not received packages many times over the past couple of decades. Never have I had to do paperwork. Perhaps an hour on the phone reaching and dealing with customer service in another continent but never any affidavit. And some of the packages were fairly expensive.

If I was expecting a package and it was lost, I would already be fairly perturbed by the situation. If I had to sign paperwork, likely containing legal threats, well, I can understand why people might be put off. Especially if the package is actually my own scanner.

Perhaps I was wrong above: If using an insurance company requires too many hoops, perhaps Uniden should self-insure. Or use UPS, FedEx, or someone who has an easier process. Requiring a disgruntled customer to endure even more hassle on the first "lost" package isn't going to please people. "Not unusual" or not, I certainly wouldn't put my customers through the hassle and intimidation of something like that. I really hope the OP is able to receive a scanner.

And it's not just the affidavit, it's the entire customer service scenario described.

Folks can do whatever they want. Just don't be surprised by bad reactions.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I'm sending my Whistler TRX-2 back today. The vendor is paying for it, but they do not carry insurance on it. $600.00 insurance probably won't be cheap, and if they damage or lose it, I'm sure the paperwork will be exhaustive.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Yea but remember the scanner doesn't cost the vendor $600 and it costs the marker even less to replace one. In fact, usually the insurance will pay only the actual replacement cost of the product, not its retail price. I'm on the fence about shipping insurance. Sometimes I purchase it, but, generally, I think it is best to self insure. For a big operation, it's just a numbers game: We lose 2% of packages; is it cheaper to pay 10% more for each shipment or take a complete loss on 2% of our packages?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I just got a notice from UPS for my Uniden return from repair package........apparently, they said the address Uniden shipped to doesn't exist........that can't be good. Is that a repair fail? :-(

Paul

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I let shipping know. I see it is "Out for Delivery" today, so probably it is fixed. Sorry, we missed putting your apartment number on the return.

macs436

I dont mind signing an affidavit for the investigation of the product by fedex but the Affidavit prevents Uniden from sending a replacement if for some reason I don't receive the item. Here is copy of the Affidavit.

Affidavit
Statement of Non-Receipt

I, ___________________________________________, hereby certify that neither I, nor anyone else in my household, received my order noted below (“Order”), which was shipped from Uniden America Corporation (“UAC”) to my address provided below. I further certify that the address I provided to UAC was my correct mailing address.

Order Number: ____ .
Tracking Number: .
Customer’s Name: .
Customer’s Provided Address:

Product Items Purchased:

I hereby request a replacement order be shipped to me at the following address:

I understand that if the second Order is not received, UAC is not responsible for sending out a third replacement and the cost of the original Order is non-refundable. If the original Order or any extra replacements are recovered or received, I agree to return it immediately at my cost to UAC.

I understand that it is a federal offense to make a false report of lost orders and that if I make a false report I may be subject to fines and/or other penalties pursuant to title18, chapter 63 of the United States Code.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Fedex has a service for proof of service "http://www.fedex.com/us/customersupport/tracking/signature/" why is this not being used to confirm a signature ?

I have already had Uniden's Josh stating the address you have on file is incorrect whath iof it happens again after signing this form ?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
They want their cake and they want to eat it too.

That's wild that they want you to cover the shipping should the original surface. Kinda contrary to the idea of recovering lost product.

I wouldn't sign that either. Who says they won't use the same incompetent delivery company again? Who says they won't get the address wrong? Or any of a number of possibilities.

This is a wonderful way to make people lose faith with online retailing and support and transfer their business to brick and mortar stores. And last I checked, the nation-wide brick and mortar scanner store sells the Whistler variant of Phase 2 scanners.

Edit, Add: I am still contemplating the state of our society in regards to lost scanner paperwork being completed improperly being a federal crime.

Last edited:
D

darunimal

You can cross out and initial the part you don't agree with, and even add you own stipulation, but keep in mind they should be fair to both parties and Uniden may come back with a revised addition of their own.

macs436

I posted the Affidavit Uniden wanted me to signed. I do not like "UAC is not responsible for sending out a third replacement and the cost of the original Order is non-refundable"

Why does Uniden not check with Fedex for proof of delivery?

Uniden do you intent to send me my BCD436 via Fedex again or check with Fedex for a signature for proof of delivery?

Last edited:

macs436

I let shipping know. I see it is "Out for Delivery" today, so probably it is fixed. Sorry, we missed putting your apartment number on the return.
Hi Upman

Can you confirm before sending my replacement the following.

1.It will require a signature on reception of the product?

I have confirmed my address with customer service for my house delivery.

macs436

I have called 1-800-297-1023 and left a message on Aug-12-20116 for a call back from management. I will not be signing the Affidavit. Uniden is the sender of the BCD436 and should be taking care of the delivery either by checking with Fedex for proof of delivery or ensuring a signature is received.

D

darunimal

Affidavit
Statement of Non-Receipt

I, ___________________________________________, hereby certify that neither I, nor anyone else in my household, received my order noted below (“Order”), which was shipped from Uniden America Corporation (“UAC”) to my address provided below. I further certify that the address I provided to UAC was my correct mailing address.

Order Number: ____ .
Tracking Number: .
Customer’s Name: .
Customer’s Provided Address:

Product Items Purchased:

I, hereby, request a replacement order be shipped to me at the following address with the stipulation that a Receipt signature is required by Sender and will not be left without a signature. The item must be also be insured by UAC, with their, preferred postal delivery method, at their own cost. If the item is not signed for within 3 attempts of delivery, I owe UAC the full cost of shipment for the secondary device and any further re-attempt at shipment of the aforementioned device:

I understand that if the second Order is not received, UAC, Deliverer and both the Canadian and U.S. Federal Authorities will be notified to complete a full and complete investigation.

I understand that it is a federal offense to make a false report of lost orders and that if I make a false report I may be subject to fines and/or other penalties pursuant to Criminal Code of Canada » 356 and/or U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 63.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
macs436 - I have to say I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having in getting your scanner back from Uniden Repair. My scanner was gone just about two weeks and it was NOT signature required. I came home from work night (at midnight) and a box was sitting by my door.

I sure hope you get your radio back soon!

Mike

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
It's amazing how hard it is to successfully deliver packages. Amazingly, I've had the best and most consistent luck with USPS over the past several years compared to UPS, FedEX, LSO, etc.

For any shipping of devices like this, the customer should have the option to choose between "leave it" (with fewer rights if a problem occurs) and "confirm delivery." In the latter, it should be signed for and the drivers license of the addressee should be used to confirm identity. If either side wants to get sloppy, then that side should bear the risk.

The revision above is good; though I'd add in something about confirming with a photo id.

But, nevertheless, big corporations want their cake and want to eat it too. They made a mistake (defective product) and then they made another mistake (defective selection of competent carrier), yet they don't want to take the hit. It's this kind of "American capitalism" that is destroying our country: "I'm going to patent everything, make a little bit of it marginally well enough that my marketing department can sell it, and I'm absolutely going to make a profit... no such thing as winners and losers, I will win at all costs, even if I have to get cozy with some public officials or take a government bailout." Add in an extra dose of Asian business ethics, and there you have it: No scanner for the OP.

Tramagod

Shipping Question

I'm somewhat confused and maybe Upman can address my question best. If Uniden uses FedEx for returning their repaired units, why do they provide a UPS shipping label for sending them in for repair? I would think they would have some sort of contract for all their shipping services. Just seems odd to me.

D

darunimal

They used 2 different shippers since at least the Silkscreen issue on the BCD396t, also a repair campaign.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The most competent method would be to select a carrier based on the carrier's ability to deliver successfully to a particular address. Yes, this means taking into account local facilities, management, and the last-mile driver. Marginal last-mile drivers are generally where problems arise. If companies don't want to use competent carriers or spend the time to select the most competent delivery service for the address (or -- novel concept here -- let the customer decide), then they should realize they will have to deal with more lost products and unhappy customers... And they should immediately send replacements.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm somewhat confused and maybe Upman can address my question best. If Uniden uses FedEx for returning their repaired units, why do they provide a UPS shipping label for sending them in for repair? I would think they would have some sort of contract for all their shipping services. Just seems odd to me.

I believe the OP of this thread is in Canada, so they probably use FedEx for Canadian shipments.

Both my 436 and 536 were shipped UPS.

Tramagod

Quick turnaround

Wow, this pretty awesome. I shipped my 436hp the middle of last week for repair and I just got an e-mail saying my repaired unit has shipped for return. If it comes back to me as quickly as it went I should have tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Can't beat that for service, less than two weeks gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.