BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP Simulcast Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX01ARCHER548

Hello all just dusted off my old 436 since I actually have a use for it again. This post will be kind of specific so hopefully someone can help me. Using the sentinel software I set a favorite for ACDC Channel 3 which is bloomingdale and Glendale heights PD. I left only the DuPage County Simulcast in the favorite so its not scanning all of them. My question is does anyone know why I can only hear the cars? For some reason I don't seem to pick up dispatch which is weird as I always thought the portable and car radios were usually the harder ones to pick up. Is it possible only ACDC dispatch is encrypted or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Have a read here at what simulcast distortion is, it's one of the most discussed topics here on the RR forums. Seems like you're describing the issue to a T. The 436HP isn't the best scanner to use to monitor simulcast systems. The SDS100 & SDS200 are the only scanners designed to combat the effects of simulcast distortion. Yes there are workarounds mentioned in the wiki I linked but they work in very few cases. It's all relative to your location between two or more simulcasting cells.

NX01ARCHER548

Have a read here at what simulcast distortion is, it's one of the most discussed topics here on the RR forums. Seems like you're describing the issue to a T. The 436HP isn't the best scanner to use to monitor simulcast systems. The SDS100 & SDS200 are the only scanners designed to combat the effects of simulcast distortion. Yes there are workarounds mentioned in the wiki I linked but they work in very few cases. It's all relative to your location between one or more simulcasting cells.

Gotcha I will take a look thanks for the quick response!

NX01ARCHER548

Have a read here at what simulcast distortion is, it's one of the most discussed topics here on the RR forums. Seems like you're describing the issue to a T. The 436HP isn't the best scanner to use to monitor simulcast systems. The SDS100 & SDS200 are the only scanners designed to combat the effects of simulcast distortion. Yes there are workarounds mentioned in the wiki I linked but they work in very few cases. It's all relative to your location between two or more simulcasting cells.
Actually another question as well. Is there an antenna that may help with this as well? Currently I am just using the stock antenna. But I really only need the 700-800 range to pickup what I need now so I am okay giving up other frequency ranges if there is a more focused antenna. Or is this completely unrelated.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast is a hit or miss proposition. What works for me might not work for the guy next door (or even the guy in the next room, for that matter). If you're serious about simulcast reception, the SDS100 or 200 are your best choices. They cost a little more but I can see someone spending even more trying different fixes.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
There are 2 videos that describe simulcast and things to try to make it better.

I have to say though, I have had my 436 in some pretty bad spots over the years but I was always able to make out both sides of a conversation whether it was base, mobile or portable.

Are you listening to this site? Du Page County - Simulcast Site Details (STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois) See where you are on the map in relation to the transmitters.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
With simulcast issues in legacy designs (non-IQ), what you want to do is limit reception to as few towers as possible - ideally to one. This requires a less efficient antenna like a stubby antenna. The higher the gain of the antenna, the more towers you will pick up and the more interference you will receive (hence the less usable signals).

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If it's truly a simulcast issue the reception of dispatch and the cars should be equal. One or the other should not be better or worse than the other. It might be that you only have dispatch's talk-group programmed and the cars might be on a different TAC talk-group, possibly even encrypted. Take a look at the database and make sure you're not missing something.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
I live in DuPage County and it appears that the dispatcher (ACDC) is not encrypted at this time. You might want to listen to this talkgroup via the OpenMHz.com website here OpenMHz (there is a slight time delay for this web stream).

Hello all just dusted off my old 436 since I actually have a use for it again. This post will be kind of specific so hopefully someone can help me. Using the sentinel software I set a favorite for ACDC Channel 3 which is bloomingdale and Glendale heights PD. I left only the DuPage County Simulcast in the favorite so its not scanning all of them. My question is does anyone know why I can only hear the cars? For some reason I don't seem to pick up dispatch which is weird as I always thought the portable and car radios were usually the harder ones to pick up. Is it possible only ACDC dispatch is encrypted or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Just chiming in to say hey. I grew up in GH. In fact most of the old Ducomm stuff is still in my Pro43 LoL. I live in Saint Charles now. Wouldn't you know it about a week after getting both the 436 and 536 they went encrypted. Now I am dealing with simulcast issues too. Once I finish a home project I plan on focusing some time on the hobby again. I need to save this thread and do some reading as well. Pisses me off I have 2 expensive radios and now learning the SDS radios is what I really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.