BCD996XT-Intermittent Loss of Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen_at_OES

After a short time successfully receiving both conventional and trunked system scans/comms, the 800MHz trunked comms fail. When the scan shifts to the trunked system, it only displays one of the 10 freqs programmed, but not hit on any comms from IDs in it's two jurisdictions. It can continue to scan/detect the conventional freqs fine. After an hour (or so..) the trunked system will begin to work again - detecting comms on most of the 10 freqs - only to drop out later. The Force Dispatchers do not notice any comms problems - so I have to suspect the 996XT.

I hand programmed the trunked system using the info obtained from RadioReference DB. I downloaded the factory codeplug, and used that to build my trunked system. It seemed to work fine for the first day - both systems and all trunked freqs. Good strong signals - full quieting - no over-squelching used.

I welcome suggestions to help me fix this problem.

BCD996XT Firmware: 1.03.02
ARC-XT PRO used to program

Last edited:

sjlamb

Do you have the trunked and conventional frequencies set-up as separate systems from one another? They need to be but, your post isn't very clear on this.

What type of trunked system are you dealing with?

Where is Salano County?

Do you have all of the trunked frequencies programmed or just the control channel(s) and alternates (for moto systems)?

What is a "factory codeplug"?

I'm sure a solution is at hand but, others will need more detail of your situation in order to offer any meaningful suggestions.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When someone talks about a codeplug, immediately think of a Motorola professional radio in this context.

Yes, it would be very helpful to know which system you are talking about. Go to the top toolbar under the RadioReference logo and click on Database. Supply the URL of the system.

Apart from the CC changes, the other possibility is that your antenna needs upgrading - you are losing the control channel for some reason. Hard to say why. More details needed 73 Mike

Glen_at_OES

BCD996XT: Intermittant Loss of Trunked System

Thank you Steve and Mike for your replys.
The DB URL used for Solano Co. is Vacaville/Fairfield, City of (Public Safety) Trunking System, Vacaville- Fairfield, California - Scanner Frequencies

I separated the trunked and conventional systems in programming.

When I started programming, I downloaded to the PC the 996XT program and edited that to subtract the un-necessary state systems, and add what I needed for Solano Co. (Northern California). Maybe it is not necessary when working with Uniden rigs, but I sometimes found it necessary while working codeplugs in the Motorola rigs (so it was done out of habit).

All 9 frequencies are included (not 10 - sorry). I did not see, in setting up the system, where I could differentiate between pri and alt.

The one frequency displayed, during times when no scan hits are received, changes with the day/shift. If I hit the HOLD button, I hear the multiplexed control signal (the signal is scrambled). It is presently showing 851.7750 - the first pri freq on the list, but last night it showed 853.2125 - which is the 3rd pri freq. (so I think it is following the daily shifts OK). All trunked freqs were programmed in the order shown on the RadioReference list.

The scanner Antenna is a Diamond Discone D130J with line-of-sight to the repeaters. I'm close enough that the 1:1 gain is adequate. HAM VHF and UHF comms work fine at less than 5 watts.

Glen_at_OES

BCD996XT: Total Loss of Trunked System Decoding

After leaving the scanner on for >8 hours with no reception on the trunked side of the systems (good on conventional), I can probably say that it now fails to decode the control channel. Last week I could get some action on the trunked side (intermittent as it was - it was still something). Now nothing.

I used ARC-XT Pro to eliminate the conventional system, leaving only the trunked system. No joy. I also tried to change settings without results. I even reset the scanner (HOLD-2-9 with power cycle - without loading any factory state systems), and rebuilt and reloaded the trunked system from scratch... No joy.

Unless somebody can point me on to a new course of action (???), I will probably have to open a direct dialog with Uniden and/or send it back to the retailer for a replacement.

Can anybody think of anything I can try? I hate to give up. When it was working the first week after recipt, it was impressive!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Some systems change their control channel automatically. Are you certain you have all the control channels programed?

911scanner

Some systems change their control channel automatically. Are you certain you have all the control channels programed?

+1 to this. Happens to me frequently, so I programmed all of the freqs in my local system instead of CC only to avoid this issue.

... Another thought. Maybe the scanner is picking up something and hanging on 851.7750, while the system may actually be using a different CC (being as there are 4 in your system). Try locking out that frequency and see if you get any different results.

Just an idea to try...

(edited to add) Have you tried posting your issue in the California specific forum? That might give you some help as well.

MM

Last edited:

Glen_at_OES

BCD996XT: Good Results on Current CC

Finally – I now have good trunked scan – on at least the control frequency being used today. I’ll know better how successful the fix is when I see what happens after the next automatic CC change.

I downloaded and installed the ARC-XT Pro sw upgrade (v1.2 Build-1 Full). I then built a single trunked Motorola system (from scratch) containing the 4 Control freqs and the 5 alt freqs .
• No Status Bit, and “Ignore” for the EndCode.
• Fleetmap = Custom, with all zeros (default)
• CC Only = NOT checked, Mot Bandplan = 800/900 Standard
• Talkgroup ID entry is Decimal format
• NO conventional system entered (at least not during this phase of troubleshooting).
This was uploaded to the 996XT after doing another reset of the memory.

I will remember the advice to lockout any freq that might cause a hang-up. I do remember while troubleshooting that there was one frequency constantly being displayed, as the ID Scan was progressing, that was NOT one I had included in the trunking frequencies (‘Possible acquisition of a close proximity control signal from the nearby Air Force Base or city??? I guess I can add that into my Trunked Frequency list and assign it a Lockout).

Thank you MPSCS and 911Scanner for your help.

SCPD

QRT
Finally – I now have good trunked scan – on at least the control frequency being used today. I’ll know better how successful the fix is when I see what happens after the next automatic CC change.

I downloaded and installed the ARC-XT Pro sw upgrade (v1.2 Build-1 Full). I then built a single trunked Motorola system (from scratch) containing the 4 Control freqs and the 5 alt freqs .
• No Status Bit, and “Ignore” for the EndCode.
• Fleetmap = Custom, with all zeros (default)
• CC Only = NOT checked, Mot Bandplan = 800/900 Standard
• Talkgroup ID entry is Decimal format
• NO conventional system entered (at least not during this phase of troubleshooting).
This was uploaded to the 996XT after doing another reset of the memory.

I will remember the advice to lockout any freq that might cause a hang-up. I do remember while troubleshooting that there was one frequency constantly being displayed, as the ID Scan was progressing, that was NOT one I had included in the trunking frequencies (‘Possible acquisition of a close proximity control signal from the nearby Air Force Base or city??? I guess I can add that into my Trunked Frequency list and assign it a Lockout).

Thank you MPSCS and 911Scanner for your help.

Hi Glenn don't lock out any frequency or channel in the trunked system. One way you can tell if the scanner is trunking properly is to press hold and turn the control knob to the frequency that is the control channel in the system list. The System ID should be displayed, it is also listed here at Radio Reference.com, and any active talkgroups being used will also be displayed.
When your scanner is in use if you are scanning in SCAN mode only talkgroups that have been programmed in will be monitored. While a talk group is active you can hit the Func key and press SCAN to switch to Search ID mode.
The system you are monitoring is reBanded. You will need to check that you have programmed the motorola system for the new band plan. You choose CUSTOM for the Motorola type and enter in this band plan:

Code:
Band Plan 1 (This must be set in Band Plan 1)
Base Freq Low 851.0250 Base Freq High 854.0000 Spacing 25.00 Khz  Offset 440
Band Plan 2 (This must be set in Band Plan 2)
Base Freq Low 851.0125 Base Freq High 868.9875 Spacing 25.00 Khz  Offset 0

Glen_at_OES

BCD996XT: Change in MotBandplan Settings Look Good

Thank you for your reply Keith. With the implementation of your advice, the trunk system is now working on the current CC. I will have to wait until the next auto shift of the CC to tell for sure if tracking/decoding work.

No freqs or channels have been locked out. I changed my Mot Bandplan to CUSTOM and entered the Lo,Hi,Step,Offset, Base settings you (and RadioReference DB) supplied. I thought these were for GRE scanners, and that the new 996XT didn't have to be modified for reBanded systems (???).

Thank you for your help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Nope, as you found all types of scanners (GRE, RS, or Uniden) have to have the correct band plan entered for rebanded systems. Once the correct band plan is entered, it won't matter which control channel is active, they should all work the same. In fact, they output exactly the same data, regardless of which CCh is being used.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Im sorry but thats not true, as mentioned on these boards my 346XT will NOT work on City of Joliet REBANDED on CC-852.7875 with both PLANS installed, but will work on the other three CC's in Custonm Search, 851.1125, 853.275, 853.700, i have spoken to three others that have the 346XT here in Joliet and they all have the same problem....Whats up with this????.I get NO answers from anyone...Ron in Joliet

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The OP is using a BCD996XT on the Solano county system in Scan mode (i.e. programmed as a system) and not in Control Channel Search mode. He is unaffected by what you are seeing on a different scanner using a different mode on a different system.

Glen_at_OES

BCD996XT Works With The CUSTOM Mot Bandplan

My BCD996XT now works after entering the CUSTOM Mot Bandplan. The Lo,Hi,Step,Offset, Base settings supplied allows the scanner to track the Solano County reBanded trunk system through the automatic changes in Control Channels. Thank you Keith for your advice!

UPMan: I programmed a few BC780 TrunkTracker III scanners using ARC780 software and only used the Motorola Type 2 – 800MHz bandplan with good operability on the same reBanded trunk system. I could not find where to utilize the Lo,Hi,Step,Offset, Base settings on this model. Does the BC780XLT utilize firmware that allows this - that the BCD996XT does not?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The BC780XLT does not have any provision for entering a custom band plan for 800 MHz systems. You will not be able to track rebanded Motorola 800 systems using that scanner.

It is possible that the system you are monitoring includes some channels that calculated out to the same frequency under both the old and new (rebanded) band plans, but any channels that do not will not be received on the 780.

Glen_at_OES

BC780XLT: No ReBanded Ops

Thank you UPMan for that info. It must be (as you say) that some channels in the Solano Co. trunked system DO calculate out to the same frequency under both the old and new (rebanded) band plans. The BC780XLT TrunkTracker III scanner in our office is successfully searching and detecting talkgroup IDs in the current CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.