Best Decoder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Good thing the PSR-500 uses control channel only in order to determine the voice frequencies. I'll submit the change to the admin.

slicerwizard

Perfect. I'll email the beta to you. Just set PSR Data Serial Port to 7 and restart the program. You should be good to go.

Set it back to zero when you want sound card based decoding.

Dick33

Sorry on the login info but yahoo told me they would e-mail me when i was app. to join the site never got the e-mail. I did log in fine now Thanks. I do like Trunk88 over Unitrunk now that I did the discrim. mod. on my PSR-500 and the fact that it runs on most win versions. Could you send me the mod version that works with the PSR-500 w/out using the discrim. input? Also I searched the support site for info on importing systems it seems like everytime i start Trunk88 it make a new system file for the same system? I started to label TG's but i cant get it to import the system that I started to label?

slicerwizard

Could you send me the mod version that works with the PSR-500 w/out using the discrim. input?
Version 4.65 is available here: http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/TRUNK88/

Also I searched the support site for info on importing systems it seems like everytime i start Trunk88 it make a new system file for the same system? I started to label TG's but i cant get it to import the system that I started to label?
It sounds like you're clicking on the 'X' to close the program instead of using the 'Q'uit command. If you exit normally, the program will always save and reload your system control files.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Andy's program works great with the PSR-500 on Motorola Smartnet systems. I do however have an occasional lock-up due to some com port issues on Windows Vista that I have experienced on other programs that use the supplied GRE USB to serial cable. I think the cable driver needs to be rewritten for the Vista version.

slicerwizard

Do the applications actually lock up or do they still respond to keyboard input?

How do you resume monitoring? Do you just restart the decoder, or do you have to reboot Vista?

Dick33

Thanks for the updated version of Trunker88 love the program and now I can run it on all o/s with no problems between the discrim. tap and the oem cable for the PSR-500 Thanks for all the help.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Do the applications actually lock up or do they still respond to keyboard input?

How do you resume monitoring? Do you just restart the decoder, or do you have to reboot Vista?

The application would lock-up and could not be terminated with no responce from the keyboard. Had to re-boot Vista and then restart the program.

The update USB driver looks like it has solved the problem.

Last night I saw the color selection menu appear without selecting it in the meu. This was the point where it had locked up before, but I am now able to escape from the menu without the app locking up.

I like the Omnilink tag display feature. This is great for DX monitoring as well.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
USB driver

Dave, I'm having the lockup problem too on my VISTA laptop. I went to the GRE Support site and didn't see anything about a data cable driver. Where can I get it?
Ron

slicerwizard

I assume the problem is in the USB to serial port converter driver, in which case it would have nothing to do with GRE. Check the converter manufacturer's website for an updated driver.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dave!

Don't know how you were able to chase down that source (let alone knowing that new driver was available) but I'm glad you did. Surprised that GRE does not have it or a link to it on their support page. As of now, cable works fine with WIN-500 and TRUNK88 on my VISTA laptop. I haven't had a lockup problem with the old driver with WIN-500 and I have monitored at times for more than 12 consecutive hours, but I HAVE had TRUNK88 lockup several times before I found out about and installed the new driver. Will post about it if a get another lockup.
Ron

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Great to hear. The driver properties point out FTDI is the manufacturer in device manager.

JBuff27

MDT-Data Terminals

Do any of these decoders read and show the messages going to and returned from the Data terminals
like what FDNY uses now for some of their dispacting?

Or is there other software that is available and needed to be able to view the data stream for the MDT's?

Are these data streams and the MDT's on the control channels or do they have there own freq?

Thank you for any input.

J Buff27

SCPD

QRT
Do any of these decoders read and show the messages going to and returned from the Data terminals
No.

is there other software that is available and needed to be able to view the data stream for the MDT's?
There is software out there for older, obsolete formats. There was a federal initiative some years back that required decent encryption for all law enforcement terminals with NCIC access (they'd lose access until the equipment was upgraded or replaced). The compliance deadline was back in the fall of 2005.

Are these data streams and the MDT's on the control channels or do they have there own freq?
Some trunked systems mix voice and data (the voice radio is also the data radio) where the voice channels can also pass data (not the control channel). On other systems - the data runs on separate channels from the trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.