• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

best frequencies to use with Baofengs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have another question. In an emergency situation (zombie apocalypse, whatever) what would be the best and strongest powered handheld unit 2 people could use to reach eachother or anyone else? Without any legality issues and only using mobile power.

Zombie and the conspiracy thing will never happen. It's a money scheme. Like said get licensed as what those baofeng radios are meant for is licensed ham operations. Not public safety or mission critical. A joker herr got arrested recently for playing around keying up on state frequencies. They took all his computers and ham gear.

SCPD

QRT
Let's put it this way. You transmit on public safety regardless of emergency I guarantee you will face the consequences later after the ordeal. Park services to government, fire, police, public works, other license holders is not for you to just pop it in and key up. Put it this way. We were once told by union pacific if we key up on the road channel there better be a body laying on the track or the track better be gone if we call on it. This was told to a government entity and a public safety department. Keying up on frequencies not authorized ends in issues for you. Research it and you will see others who used radios on public safety in legit emergencies faced criminal charges after. Rarely and literally rarely does that get slipped by. Don't open that cam of worms. Get a ham license and I reccomend study to know about ham operations. DO NOT transmit on public safety period.

SCPD

QRT
I know if I am hiking and fall and break a leg, my beofang will try hams first, but then will go to my local sheriffs department as a last resort. A 10k fine or not a life is worth it. And really, I highly doubt the sheriff would get mad if it was really a life threating situation.

That's what several others thought until they ended up in jail after or fined the 10k. Usually the local agency prosecutes these. Morley the communications manager. We had a guy key up on several frequencies once and a Federal park because he was lost. He was found. But prosecuted and his equipment seized then he was referred to fcc for not being licensed.

But hey everyone wants to make choices. Just don't complain when things get secured. We are going thay direction here due to Un authorized transmissions. We had a guy key up when one medic asked dispatcher for a Spanish speaking officer. There was none on at time and someone felt they were doing good by keying up saying they could translate the 911 call. I think that guy is now going bald after the hole he put himself in.

SCPD

QRT
FRS

Use them on FRS channels only,nobody will care .
on LOW POWER .
Ham radio like someone else said,is for Licensed ham radio operators!

See wiki for channels then program em in .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service <<<<<<<<This is what you want!

If you hear morse code,I would stay off that frequency,there may be a GMRS repeater there!And they are licensed and you are not so they have priority!

So Family Radio Service is 100 percent no license .
MURS you need a license to operate but its a Pay license....so you decide.
oh and P.S Stay off any Police and Fire and EMS frequencies or you will be in deep trouble!Even carrying a radio that can transmit,will land you in some deep.............well you know.For example in NY.

Last edited:

Evgeni

What about having a mobile CB in atleast 1 of the vehicles?

CB is widely used, the equipment is common and can be affordible.

For new, under 50 you can get a CB that has RF gain(increases recieve strength), tough you probably want a power mic which yould increase your transmitt gain and a SWR meter to calibrate the antenna. .
CBs in this price range can be quite compact.

For 50-100 new you can get a CB that has built in transmitt gain and a built in meter.

For 100 new or more, sometimes as low as 75, you can get a CB that can do SSB modulation which can travel farther, though of course the receiving radios must be able to do SSB too.

Very important thing with CB is an antenna that has low SWR.

N8IAA

on LOW POWER .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service <<<<<<<<This is what you want!

If you hear morse code,I would stay off that frequency,there may be a GMRS repeater there!And they are licensed and you are not so they have priority!

oh and P.S Stay off any Police and Fire and EMS frequencies or you will be in deep trouble!Even carrying a radio that can transmit,will land you in some deep.............well you know.For example in NY.

I'm sure you meant GMRS.
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Let's put it this way. You transmit on public safety regardless of emergency I guarantee you will face the consequences later after the ordeal. Park services to government, fire, police, public works, other license holders is not for you to just pop it in and key up.

What he said.

Keying up on public safety radio systems without authorization will not be without possible consequences. Recently a well known member of my town who was in the public safety equipment business went way too far and used a trunking radio he allegedly cloned to call in a DUI hit and run. In addition to an impersonating an officer charge, he earned an additional felony theft of services charge for use of the trunking radio with a cloned individual ID to call in to dispatch.

I won't rehash the details but this drives home that government radio systems are closed and if one trespasses upon them without proper authorization, you can quote your "FCC" mantra all day long, if one is clearly and I mean clearly unable to articulate that human life was in IMMEDIATE danger and NO OTHER OPTION WAS AVAILABLE, then you can count on getting into trouble of some kind for unauthorized use of that radio system, network, frequency, etc.

Show up on someone else' radio system you aren't an authorized user or paying subscriber and expect to face the consequences. They may range from someone asking a few questions to handcuffs being placed on one's wrists.

ke6gcv

on LOW POWER .

MURS is free but not very widely used. Your radio can't transmit above 2 watts. FRS is free, too, obviously, but can't transmit above .5 watts (half of a watt) and is more widely used.

Transmitting on those frequencies at a slightly higher power probably won't get you into trouble, but why risk it? Especially if you're using a radio that's not certified to transmit on those frequencies.

justinm001

Thanks for all the help, went riding all weekend and these worked great. We had some ATV issues and i had to drop off the Raptor to the shop but rented a RZR which made testing these things much easier. I was able to be in the back of the pack (3 ATV's total) and use GPS to relay info to the front runner (go left at next intersection, etc) worked well as the riderX app is hard to see where on the map you were, so i could go very slow and see then catch up, without blocking my friends.

We were able to ride all weekend with these without charging them. At least 1 was left on overnight and they were listening to radio the whole time while riding. At the end their batteries finally died ( i wasn't listening to music and had full bars still).

There was one time when night riding we all got lost with the leader not having a radio. We had to be about a mile away from each other and the radios worked well. The radios did break up a little when we were lost, At one point when lost, we had full comms and one person revved his ATV and we had ours off in dead silence and couldn't hear his ATV, but no issues hearing him on radio.

We didn't hear anyone else on the radio and tried scanning for a bit, but didn't matter. The Radio's saved hours on the trails, because it eliminated stopping and when riding with smokers it made a huge difference.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, riding with a group can be challenging. We never go riding without our radios. Just too easy to get separated and lost.
Glad to hear they worked out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.