SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigC801

i've had many radios over the years on the railroad, I have dropped them and kicked them... changed the battery 1000's of times and never broke the clip that holds the battery on. I guess making them out of plastic instead of 10 cents worth of spring steel was a great plan

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
i've had many radios over the years on the railroad, I have dropped them and kicked them... changed the battery 1000's of times and never broke the clip that holds the battery on. I guess making them out of plastic instead of 10 cents worth of spring steel was a great plan

Motorola Jedi series batteries were only retained at the top and bottom by plastic tabs. Hundreds of batteries were broken here due to simple drops from waist or desk high. And the cheapest HT1000 was about $1,000. I'm not giving Uniden a pass here, but it's not unheard of.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I've been using Clip #3 with a new battery cover and it is 75% better. I took original cover and pulled bottom foam piece out since it's out of warranty. It's even better with less pressure. I shook it to see if it would lose power and it's fine. Glue is good as it didn't come out 100% but I doubt the little bit remaining is even touching

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
On this trip the broken battery compartment clip has become an irritable issue. When we rent a car and I take the SDS100 with me I have to take it without the hard leather case that I bought for it. I have elastic hair tie bands holding it firm but when I push it into the case the bands push up and the casing comes loose and the battery loses it's connection and the scanner powers off. The elastic ties will not stay on because the hard leather case is a very snug fit. Having to be very careful not to drop the radio. Hopefully, Uniden will sell me the clip now. They refused me when I requested it before.

JD
kf4anc

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
On this trip the broken battery compartment clip has become an irritable issue. When we rent a car and I take the SDS100 with me I have to take it without the hard leather case that I bought for it. I have elastic hair tie bands holding it firm but when I push it into the case the bands push up and the casing comes loose and the battery loses it's connection and the scanner powers off. The elastic ties will not stay on because the hard leather case is a very snug fit. Having to be very careful not to drop the radio. Hopefully, Uniden will sell me the clip now. They refused me when I requested it before.

JD
kf4anc
Is the radio under warranty? If so maybe that's why they may refuse it....

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Is the radio under warranty? If so maybe that's why they may refuse it....

My 1-yr warranty ends next week on 08/01...

I called Uniden to try to coordinate delivery of the clip by the time I get back home and ran into a snag. First time I called I got Jared (?) who really had no idea what I was talking about. He looked up the part and gave me a part number of SBCSDS and referred me to Bearcat Warehouse website only to find that he gave me the part number to the battery cover instead. Called back and got Andy who could not find the part number and took my cell and email info and said he would have to contact his supervisor and get back to me. So I didn't really get anywhere with anybody.

bravo14, can you provide a part number for the clip you purchased? The exact number you called? Maybe the name of the CS person who processed your request? This is proving to be more difficult than I figured.

Might be a day or two before I can check your reply as I am about to be w/out internet for a while again.
Thanks!

JD
kf4anc

jcarter99

I have the same problem with the broken latch and called Uniden, but parts dept was not familiar with the item I described and would have to check and email back. Now, being stuck without a way to hold the battery cover closed, began to experiment and tried these alternates: The wire from a small binder clip can be shaped to fit. Remove the radio rod that held the original clip in place and the binder clip will fit the holes. Also, I took the broken latch and glued the pieces together since the break was clean. Then took two 1cm pieces of a large paper clip, heated them to red and placed them on the back of the latch (perpendicular) so that they melt just past the surface, spaced approx 3 or 4mm apart, filled the open space with JB Weld and filed it smooth when hardened. Not sure how these will hold up, but just a suggestion to get going until a replacement part can be obtained.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I have the same problem with the broken latch and called Uniden, but parts dept was not familiar with the item I described and would have to check and email back. Now, being stuck without a way to hold the battery cover closed, began to experiment and tried these alternates: The wire from a small binder clip can be shaped to fit. Remove the radio rod that held the original clip in place and the binder clip will fit the holes. Also, I took the broken latch and glued the pieces together since the break was clean. Then took two 1cm pieces of a large paper clip, heated them to red and placed them on the back of the latch (perpendicular) so that they melt just past the surface, spaced approx 3 or 4mm apart, filled the open space with JB Weld and filed it smooth when hardened. Not sure how these will hold up, but just a suggestion to get going until a replacement part can be obtained.
13 Msgs in 17 yrs? You need to get out more...You're thinkin outside the box but I like it.... I was good at taking out foam on my cover.... (y)

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Just sold my 436HP and went with the SDS100 for simply the better more visible display in the car. Will I have this clip problem if I just don't remove the battery? My SDS100 is the "New" one. Whatever that means.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
If you are planning not to get extra battery and external charger you won't have that problem with the door clip. Some people like me have extra batteries and chargers. I don't like the rubber side cover if you charge or use the usb ports the cover doesn't hold as good. Plus most of us don't like charging batteries in the radio case the batter swells up.

jcarter99

I've been using Clip #3 with a new battery cover and it is 75% better. I took original cover and pulled bottom foam piece out since it's out of warranty. It's even better with less pressure. I shook it to see if it would lose power and it's fine. Glue is good as it didn't come out 100% but I doubt the little bit remaining is even touching
View attachment 73568

Attachments

• 20190730_082836_resized.jpg
    20190730_082836_resized.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 118
  • 20190730_082954_resized.jpg
    20190730_082954_resized.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 124

jcarter99

I fashioned this clip from a small paper binder clip which is stiff enough to hold securely. I was able to repair the original plastic clip by embedding two 1 cm pieces of wire across the crack. I called Uniden about a replacement clamp, didn't know what I was talking and would email me when they found it, still waiting. The wire works perfect, so, may not need the plastic clamp. Seems like a much better idea, since it will last forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.