Broome County P25 Phase II TRS

KA1RBI

receiving Broome 453.425 P25 here (Cortland) but with poor copy.

Here is the view from OP25
broome.png

Nothing at all here new or that hasn't already been posted, but just wanted to try to tune it in.

Getting *hammered* by 453.425 (NYS Thruway), even with a directional antenna pointed to try to maximize Broome...

Max

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Nothing much happening. I've left my SDS on "record" of the West Site every few days but only hear a "radio repair testing" 5 count once in a great while. A couple of weeks ago the input for the Broome Sheriff 154.80 channel was patched into the trunked system for a few hours but that was it. The Broome County Transit buses are still on 453.725 which is a frequency that will be used by the East Site.

bcrmc

Premium Subscriber
Update:

Broome's system is completely on the air and optimized at all sites with the exception of East channels 3&4 and West channel 1. The system will undergo coverage testing beginning June 13.

Broome County Parks has users on the air:
Talk groups
27315 - Broome Parks Admin
27316 - Arena/Forum Ops
27317 - Cole Ops
27318 - Enjoie Ops
27319 - Dorchester Ops
27320 - Greenwood Ops
27321 - Otsiningo Ops

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Broome County Parks has users on the air:
Talk groups
Thanks very much for sharing. This weekend I haveI heard activity on the talkgroups of Cole (4x's unit numbers), Dorchester (3x's units) and Greenwood (2x's units). Having monitored Broome since 1988 I am fairly confident that I will be able to identify the user of most talkgroups by listening. However, I think it would have been a challenge to determine the specific park on a talkgroup.

There was also a brief conversation between two technicians on TG 27040. One of them stated he was located in Watkins Glen, which is quite a distance from the nearest West site.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Which is Schuyler County.. wonder if that's just a distance test or something that is going to be "linked in" to the Broome system .?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Or just two guys having a bit of fun and chatting, seeing how far the signal happens to reach. Happens quite often, especially when systems are brand new and the luster hasn't worn off.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Or just two guys having a bit of fun and chatting, seeing how far the signal happens to reach. Happens quite often, especially when systems are brand new and the luster hasn't worn off.
Yup, they were just two guys chatting on a Saturday. "I was just listening to see how the parks guys were doing with their new radios and figured I would see if you might also be on."

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
From their brief conversation they are clearly technicians involved in the installation of the system enjoying some days off. I missed the first word of the name of talkgroup 27040 but the second word was "Countywide". It was not any type of formal test, just an informal chat.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Ahh, gotcha.
I know when our system came on the air many of the fire department members were chatting around the county marveling at the reception/"technology" etc.

bcrmc

Premium Subscriber
I was in Watkins Glen, using my APX 8000 on Motorola's SmartConnect feature, which uses WiFi to get to the system core and yes, we often discuss how well the new system technology works. It is very gratifying after working on the project for 10 years to actually have users on that system.

bcrmc

Premium Subscriber
GTR8000 - post #84 in this string contains accurate information that could be added to the database. PM me if you have questions.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
GTR8000 - post #84 in this string contains accurate information that could be added to the database. PM me if you have questions.
Your participation here is greatly appreciated, and thank you for the updates. However I need to point out that our policy is to make changes/updates to the database only when a formal submission is made. This allows us to keep track of the info without having to comb through forum posts. It's also to avoid missing key information if the admins don't read every post of every thread. I'm sure that you understand.

If you or someone else in this thread wishes to update the Broome County cells and/or talkgroups, please submit those updates to the CNYICC system page here: RadioReference Login

Thanks

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
In case anyone is interested in checking their ability to receive the Broome County sites, I’ve heard coverage testing on talk group 27400 this morning. They are speaking complex phrases to evaluate the clarity of the transmissions. When I was listening the transmissions were simulcast on the East and West sites. Everything sounded good to me during my brief monitoring.

Back in the 70’s when I was doing a school project with Newark EMS Communciations (REMCS) a technician told me that the Pennsylvania State Police VHF system constructed at that time was coverage-tested using tones rather than voice, and that once in use they discovered tone reception did not mean adequate voice reception. The varied complex phrases and sentences they are using on the Broome system test seem to be a very effective method for evaluating reception.