Buena Vista police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten42

As a retired officer, I know of more instances where the public has helped law enforcement, than hurt or aided in criminal acitivies by monitoring. "We really need the public's help with this, if anyone has seen or heard anything, please call crimestoppers." Really? Its sad how some, not all, of these new chiefs and administrators think of themselves as better than the citizens they protect. Glad I am retired, some of these new "five o's" haven't mastered community policing. Remember the DC sniper arrest was aided by a scanner transmission heard by a non LEO.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you completely. I got into listening when I was a young kid back when a show called Emergency was on. That and Adam-12. :)

A lot of what you heard on there was accurate. "All units, all frequencies, stand by...." was really how they did it and you were always listening for that to pop up on 830 what most would call their citywide channel. Had LAPD programmed into its own bank but had 830 in my local bank along with CHP Blue 42.34 which was their pursuit channel and OrCo Red 460.025 which was theirs.

God its something, I can't remember what day it is more than half the time but can remember frequencies from well over 30 years ago. LOL

Later when I became an EMT I really got into it and being able to listen to not only fire but PD often saved our butts a lot of hassle. They didn't have "Stand-by and stage" back then, we just got sent to a call. So listening to both the fire dispatch and most importantly the Sheriff/PD channel in the area we were working often let us know what was up and when it was okay to go into a scene. We often stopped a couple blocks away based on what we heard on the scanner and waited.

Nothing like being dispatched on an "Injured person" call while Sheriff is dispatching "415F, 245 just occurred, 417" to the same address. (Family disturbance, ADW and man with a gun.)

Anyway the only time we ever got a stage was on a major incident and it was go in and stage there for further dispatch from on scene command. Nothing like it means today.

Also just like in the show ambulances were dispatched with a county squad and certain companies served certain areas. Knowing which stations we were tied to allowed us to monitor the call and know we were going to be dispatched so we could get ready. So if fire dispatched engine 120, squad 61 to a call, we knew we were up.

There have been many "Tips" that have helped LE over the years. Rockbridge has lost a valuable resource and so have we. I actually have used what I've heard to stay away from things from accidents mostly but incidents as well. I have no desire to get in the middle of things.

As to their big worry, that's what secure tacs, which they had, are built for. Tac channels let them take it off the air so to speak if they need to while keeping routine stuff in the clear.

Those who chase calls should get arrested if they even get close to interfering or impeding. Its the law and I've seen it used before out where I'm from. Chasers learned real fast to keep their hind ends out of where they shouldn't be. Didn't stop them but it kept them back from the scene. If it didn't the sheriff or local pd had no problems introducing them to the county jail. Not a pretty place to be in Los Angeles.

For me I came to really enjoy listening from my early years to work years and now that I'm disabled and pretty much house bound its something that I especially enjoyed once again. Sadly not a lot out here to listen to before Rockbridge put their new system on the air and now its back to being very little. Sheriff out here puts most things out on computer and as little as he can on the radio, not to mention planning on encrypting it all on new system going up. So one more thing lost. For what?

Most people just sit and listen to what's going on. Why take that away from them? It serves no purpose whatsoever. An enjoyable hobby is being lost and none of the powers that be seem to care at all.

Sad really. People hearing what's going on get a much better appreciation of what LE, Fire and EMS go through not to mention what's happening in their communities.

That is one of only a very few things I miss abut LA. There was so much going on you couldn't even begin to listen to it all. Oh and the food. I used to have banks programmed with other agencies and one bank for "Local." Kept local on and whenever anything interesting popped up switched to that bank to listen then went back to local.

Oh well this is getting too long. In the end its a loss for everyone but most especially them.

Status
Not open for further replies.