Burlington County 700 MHz Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
The word I just got says the new system goes live July 9th. I can't speak for law enforcement but all EMS and Fire will be on it with portable radios only. Mobile radios will be as they are installed. The current system is evidently going down.
I know County Fire Chiefs meeting is tomorrow night so maybe more news after.

joey123

I have mine programmed with the new Response 1, County Highway, and the wildcard for any new channels. So far reception is good. I've even heard it pretty well outside the county.
My Reception is bad With the new system I have a bcd536hd and The handheld one too I’m using a 800 Megahertz Antenna

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep this is going to be a phase 2 simulcast system so you are going to have issues with the x36 radios. It's all about location. Going Mobile will be even more of a problem. If you have the rebranded GRE radios by Whistler they probably won't work at all on P2 simulcast, I know they don't in Bucks County. Whistler tried to make a simulcast capable radio but wasn't successful.

The only radios that will work well, other than actual Motorola subscriber radios will be the SDS 100 and 200 which will not suffer from simulcast distortion secondary to LSM.

There's gads of information starting around 2015 on how the x36 radios handle P2 simulcast here on RR. You might be in just the right location in relation to a tower in a fixed position where they'll work fine. It's all about location location location.

When Bucks County went to P2 simulcast tdma in 2015 the only thing that worked for us dependably in a mobile application was apx 7000s, disabled for transmit, a 6000 will work too but I needed the UHF. The SDS radios work as well now but without the volume punch of an apx. This is just a fact of life.

Last edited:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I have discovered more and more that the BCD436HP/BCD536HP with a few notable exceptions tend to handle these systems poorly, especially near cell sites and in between towers. Depending on where you are in Moorestown you're probably getting zapped by the Mount Laurel transmitter on Rt 38 by the college, the Rt 73 transmitter by TD Bank (the ML water tower), the Cinnaminson tower behind WalMart, and maybe even Westampton. If you're not near (within a 1 mile) of any of those this is the result. My BCD436HP which I'm just into Berlin Canden County handles extremely poor on this new system in testing whereas my SDS100 is much better. The Unication G5 is even better. Where are you in Moorestown?

joey123

I have discovered more and more that the BCD436HP/BCD536HP with a few notable exceptions tend to handle these systems poorly, especially near cell sites and in between towers. Depending on where you are in Moorestown you're probably getting zapped by the Mount Laurel transmitter on Rt 38 by the college, the Rt 73 transmitter by TD Bank (the ML water tower), the Cinnaminson tower behind WalMart, and maybe even Westampton. If you're not near (within a 1 mile) of any of those this is the result. My BCD436HP which I'm just into Berlin Canden County handles extremely poor on this new system in testing whereas my SDS100 is much better. The Unication G5 is even better. Where are you in Moorestown?
I’m 5 min from the Moorestown mall

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I’m 5 min from the Moorestown mall
If you check the archives on LSM and the x36 radios. There are a few things you can do but nothing is effective in a mobile setting.

The most successful thing people have done is using a directional antenna or a yagi and pointing it at a specific Tower to isolate a simultaneous broadcast from any other Tower. That's what causes the simulcast Distortion from linear simulcast modulation.

People have also tried using paper clips, the comet CH - 32 stubby antenna and even a paint can, you drill a hole in the paint can and stick the rubber duck into the can. The idea is to reduce reception and make it less efficient so you only get a signal from one Tower not multiple Towers.

Honestly, none of it works well. As I say in a fixed application you could be in a perfect spot in relation to a tower, if you're having problems you're not. In a mobile application as you move around between towers the x36s will not work well.

Location location location.:)

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Affirm. And in Joey's case there are several potential dead spots near his location. Anywhere on Rt 38 between Pleasant Valley Avenue to just west of Rt 73 in Maple Shade is a troublesome spot for receiving 700/800mhz due to all the cell sites in the area. Same for Lenola Road from Nixon drive on up to past the Arbors Apartments for that reason as well. If that's the case, setting the attenuator may help a little.

phillydjdan

I have my G5 set to pickup the wildcards and as I travel I95 in PA, I get the new system pretty well until the Girard Point Bridge and south. Once I'm up on the bridge headed northbound I get it in pretty good. Its spotty in eastern Delco. Just for reference.

joey123

Affirm. And in Joey's case there are several potential dead spots near his location. Anywhere on Rt 38 between Pleasant Valley Avenue to just west of Rt 73 in Maple Shade is a troublesome spot for receiving 700/800mhz due to all the cell sites in the area. Same for Lenola Road from Nixon drive on up to past the Arbors Apartments for that reason as well. If that's the case, setting the attenuator may help a little.how do I set the setting for the annenuator on my bcd436hp not sure how to do that

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I have my G5 set to pickup the wildcards and as I travel I95 in PA, I get the new system pretty well until the Girard Point Bridge and south. Once I'm up on the bridge headed northbound I get it in pretty good. Its spotty in eastern Delco. Just for reference.
Sounds about right. Last week on the G5 I had clear reception on the Jersey side all the way down Crown Point Road into Paulsboro. The SDS100 scanner heard it well in Sicklerville and Washington Township using the 800mhz antenna on my car.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I'm gona need to update the gang here soon I suppose. I was kinda holding out to see if we are going dark, it appears that way.

It looks like dist 33 Mansfield twp and dist 40 Florence twp have made the move to TG 3104, encrypted.
Haven't heard much from my old hometown PD (Florence) lately or even Dist 50 PD (Mt Holly) which is usually kicking. But I did hear central dispatch Flo police tonight but didn't hear any cars reply.

joey123

Haven't heard much from my old hometown PD (Florence) lately or even Dist 50 PD (Mt Holly) which is usually kicking. But I did hear central dispatch Flo police tonight but didn't hear any cars reply.
any idea if All the districts are going Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.