California Radio Interoperable System (CRIS)

mkewman

So far I have 143 for Radio testing and 1151 which sounded either like security or janitorial. Not sure on what they are yet, so I'll just submit 143 for radio testing until I know.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Might be a good time to bring up unitrunker for a few days.
Or setup a few Calls nodes ;-)

From my notes, TG:143 was one of the first ones heard on the system. I have TG:143 to TG:149 logged consecutively with three digit RIDs being used.

Can you post the RIDs you were seeing on these two talk groups? The RIDs can help to identify the use of the talk group as we start putting things together. Thank you!

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I'm also wondering if they may use CRIS (at least in a "testing" mode) on the Rices incident. That area should have coverage from Banner and Wolf.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
God I'm so out of date these days, PSCO being Public Safety Communications?

Yes, Public Safety Communications Office out of the CalOES agency. State radio techs basically. They'll typically have "DC####" radio calls.

I haven't had a chance to listen/track for a while but my notes have:
TGID's so far off Tuscan and Bloomer have been 131, 133, 136, 137, 138, 141, 143
RID's so far include 252, 254, 270, 276, 288, 302, 312, 322, 435

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
They were calling TG 143 area 33 TG not sure if the area he was at was 33 or the name of TG was 33. TG 138 was going by area 8

That's the name of the TG, Area 33 Ops. PSCO Area 33 I believe administratively is their Microwave Maintenance Ops North, but (guessing) they use that channel for non-microwave tech use since it's a wide area ops channel. :unsure: TG138 identifying as Area 8 is interesting though since I've seen TG138 on Bloomer. Area 8 is central California roughly Madera north to Bakersfield south and over to SLO and coast between Big Sur and Pt Conception. But attempting to dissect PSCO radio ops, especially over CRIS, and in a time of implementation/testing, gives me the mental picture of those conspiracy theorists with a room dedicated to solving the thing, with a massive corkboard of news clippings, pictures and post its, with different colored yarn spider-webbing across it all...one doesn't simply understand how/why PSCO does things haha.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
But attempting to dissect PSCO radio ops, especially over CRIS, and in a time of implementation/testing, gives me the mental picture of those conspiracy theorists with a room dedicated to solving the thing, with a massive corkboard of news clippings, pictures and post its, with different colored yarn spider-webbing across it all...one doesn't simply understand how/why PSCO does things haha.

1656701692395.png

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Some CRIS information from a recent FCC filing. The map shows the following sites.

Pine Hill - Site 1
Oso Mtn - Site 2
Bullion - Site 3
Blue Ridge LO - Site 4
Joaquin Ridge - Site 5
Round Mtn - Site 6
Bloomer Mtn - Site 9
Tuscan Butte - Site 10
South Fork Mtn - Site 11
St. Helena Mtn - Site 13
Mt. Vaca - Site 15
Diablo Mtn - Site 18
Loma Prieta - Site 20
Wolf Mtn - Site 21
Banner Mtn - Site 22
South Mtn - Site 25
Tejon Peak - Site 26
Oat Mtn - Site 27
Hauser Mtn - Site 28
Lukens Mtn - Site 29
Santiago Peak - Site 30
Rocky Butte - Site 35
Calandra LO - Site 36
Santa Ynez Peak - Site 40
Soda Ridge - Site 42
Seigler Mtn - Site 50

Antelope Peak - Unknown
Sonoma Mtn - Unknown
Solomon Mtn - Unknown

Attachments

• CA Letter to FCC 700 MHz Channel usage.pdf
    388.5 KB · Views: 32

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
This was proposed earlier in the thread, and folks were pretty confident it was Frazier Peak, not Hauser.
Not according to the state map, Frazier isn't even on the list. I also have other sources pointing to it being Hauser but I have not independently confirmed it myself.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
This was proposed earlier in the thread, and folks were pretty confident it was Frazier Peak, not Hauser.
Perhaps someone in the central valley in Bakersfield and areas to its northwest can tell us if they hear it. If so, it's Frazier, not Hauser.

mkewman

So initially, I wasn't impressed with the coverage of the system here in Sacramento. Particularly in North Sacramento County (Antelope, Foothill Farms, Etc), I tried monitoring using my 436HP outside at the Antelope Aquatic Center while my kid was doing swim lessons during the Rice Fire and couldn't pick up any of the sites.

But upon further review of the materials on the CRIS website, the sites that will be installed in Year 5 are going to be higher-level sites than Pine Hill. (which is still a great site, but Mount Diablo it aint.)

I have a feeling once those higher-level sites that cover more of Yuba, Placer and El Dorado County get put in, we'll be seeing a lot of these coverage holes filled, so I'll hold my tongue. After all, it's still being deployed, and when you're deploying a radio system, tweaks to coverage always come after the infrastructure is completed.

Lastly, no operational Rice Fire traffic. Frankly, the only operational traffic I've heard is the radio techs and possibly a building maintenance crew. I'm hoping to get unitrunker on the system in the next few weeks and just run it 24/7.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
So initially, I wasn't impressed with the coverage of the system here in Sacramento. Particularly in North Sacramento County (Antelope, Foothill Farms, Etc), I tried monitoring using my 436HP outside at the Antelope Aquatic Center while my kid was doing swim lessons during the Rice Fire and couldn't pick up any of the sites.

But upon further review of the materials on the CRIS website, the sites that will be installed in Year 5 are going to be higher-level sites than Pine Hill. (which is still a great site, but Mount Diablo it aint.)

I have a feeling once those higher-level sites that cover more of Yuba, Placer and El Dorado County get put in, we'll be seeing a lot of these coverage holes filled, so I'll hold my tongue. After all, it's still being deployed, and when you're deploying a radio system, tweaks to coverage always come after the infrastructure is completed.

Lastly, no operational Rice Fire traffic. Frankly, the only operational traffic I've heard is the radio techs and possibly a building maintenance crew. I'm hoping to get unitrunker on the system in the next few weeks and just run it 24/7.
It's interesting that you weren't able to pick up any sites from the Antelope Aquatic Center, one of the first locations I "played" with this system was in the parking lot of the Kohl's at Antelope and Don Julio. Pine Hill came in rather well from that location on my Unication and SDS100. I also drove around the Rio Linda area testing the range of a few sites and got fairly good results in that area.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
A boatload of voice testing this afternoon in SoCal, TG 1301 (515 hex). Various users reporting locations as Central LA, San Fernando, Monterey Park, Van Nuys, San Bernardino, South Bay. Radio ID's in the 51XXX range. Coming to me via Santiago Peak.

Last edited:

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
A boatload of voice testing this afternoon in SoCal, TG 1301 (515 hex). Various users reporting locations as Central LA, San Fernando, Monterey Park, Van Nuys, San Bernardino, South Bay. Radio ID's in the 51XXX range. Coming to me via Santiago Peak.

Activity continues today. Some users are accessing CRIS by way of CWIRS.