• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can a VX-459 be programmed for GMRS and FRS?

RonTrevor

New to radios and recent GMRS hobbyist. I have a VX-459, software and cord. I thought I'd see if I could program it for GMRS/FRS.

Is this even possible? Is this strictly a VHF radio?

I've got my channel list and corresponding details entered but I'm getting "Frequency Band Mismatched" when I try to download to the radio.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
If your radio is VHF then you can’t program in UHF frequencies.

ETA…Looking at that model it appears to be UHF.

Actually it appears to come in VHF and UHF models. I’d imagine the programming SW will show what band it is.

I’ll get it right eventually. 😂

Last edited:

RonTrevor

I came into this radio for free. Hence wanting to repurpose it for GMRS. The specs for it do say it is UHF capable:

However, it does say that when this radio is purchased to specify if it will be for VHF or UHF. I suspect it was used for VHF before. I don't know if programming can toggle it over to UHF or not.

I got this software for it. It says it covers the VX-450 series but the product type and frequency band clearly don't match what I have. This was the GMRS/FRS channel list I tried to download to the radio and I keep getting this error. I can't find anyplace in the software for toggling the product type or frequency band.

VX Prob.PNG

RonTrevor

...... I may have it figured out.

When I upload the radio to my pc, I get a completely new Freq.Band and Product type entry and it's matching up with my unit. I'm reentering all the channels and I've saved the config. This might work. My previous entry had been made without uploading the radio first.

(still working on it) (fingers crossed)

RonTrevor

Got it working!

My problem was not letting the program read the radio before hand. Once it had, the software recognized the radio and allowed for programming in the UHF band. Got it all programmed up for my repeaters.

I've successfully used it on the repeaters, now I need to test it on the Simplex and FRS channels.

radiotweester

ALWAYS!!!!
Read the radio, save that read file, edit that read file, save that edit with a new name, write that edited file back to the radio.
What I see there is the default VHF file and trying to force that in with UHF freqs is the reason for the message. Sounds like you've got a UHF rig, so continued success.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
And since you got that figured out, the legality point of it is that radio is not part 95 certified, so its not "legally" allowed on GMRS, and it is not compliant at all with FRS rules.

Software will not let it tune power down to FRS requirements, and it has a detachable antenna.

That being said, assuming you have a GMRS license, the 459 will work on it just fine, as you've found out.

express315

Remove the battery and look at the label.
Model name - G6 400-470 mhz
Model name -G7 450-520 mhz
Model name -DO-5 134-174 mhz